Reload this Page >

Special Needs children

Special Needs children

Old May 10th 2006, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Matthewx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Special Needs children

Hi,
my wife and i are considering moving to florida possibly in the next few years, the situation we have is that our daughter who is 8 years of age has downs syndrome. we understand there will be issues with this but we are keen to know the in's and out's of these issues. My wife will be a qualified nurse and i am a time served plasterer and also did 7 years in the Army where i gained another trade in telecomms and data comms. we would appreciate any info on any matter that could be raised at any stage of applying. I also have relatives who live in florida and have done for 20 years, but they say the system has changed alot and would not like to advise on this matter.

Matthew....
Old May 10th 2006, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special Needs children

Originally Posted by Matthewx
Hi,
my wife and i are considering moving to florida possibly in the next few years, the situation we have is that our daughter who is 8 years of age has downs syndrome. we understand there will be issues with this but we are keen to know the in's and out's of these issues. My wife will be a qualified nurse and i am a time served plasterer and also did 7 years in the Army where i gained another trade in telecomms and data comms. we would appreciate any info on any matter that could be raised at any stage of applying. I also have relatives who live in florida and have done for 20 years, but they say the system has changed alot and would not like to advise on this matter.

Matthew....
I think I might try and contact a school district you're thinking of living in. I've heard Florida schools are not that great - which would affect special education. When I lived in California, their special education was always top-notch - I've heard its slid a bit, but probably still very good. I now live in Washington and work for a school district that doesn't have a fantastic special ed department, but its not bad. I wish you the best Matthew, not an easy move and especially with a special needs child. Take care.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Matthew....

I cannot answer your specific questions, but I would suggest that you look into your daughter's potential future in the US very carefully. Even if - though your wife's employer - she gets decent healthcare, there will come a time when she will be an adult. The fact is that provisions and benefits for the disabled in the US are generally less generous, and more difficult to get, than in the UK.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:09 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Even if - though your wife's employer - she gets decent healthcare, there will come a time when she will be an adult. The fact is that provisions and benefits for the disabled in the US are generally less generous, and more difficult to get, than in the UK.
That's an interesting point - are there no state/federal provisions for disabled adults in the US or are they expected to arrange their own healthcare like everyone else ??
Old May 10th 2006, 2:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
That's an interesting point - are there no state/federal provisions for disabled adults in the US or are they expected to arrange their own healthcare like everyone else ??
a disabled child (or disabled adult) CANNOT be removed from the parents healthcare policy while premiums are being paid.
However this presumes the policy is already in force when the child is born.

once the parents become deceased / retired / no healthcare of their own, then Social Security / Disability will kick in with Medicare / Medicaid and the like.

However if the child / adult is a non US Citizen I don't know if that applies.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I believe there are, but it can be a struggle from what I have read. For instance, I knew a woman who suffers from multiple sclerosis and is quite disabled. Not only would no one employ her (because of the healthcare premiums), but it took her nearly 10 years to be officially recognised as disabled. During that time she had to pay for all her own healthcare expenses, which meant she could not afford the interferon injections that might have slowed down the disease process. It's so shocking that Brits who are not used to it probably find it difficult to get their heads around this...
Old May 10th 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Matthew....
For whose benefit do you wish to move to the States? Yours or your daughter? Healthcare costs can be crippling in the US with possibly millions of people each year becoming bankrupt as a result of their inability to pay healthcare bills/treatment.

If you're currently receiving some aid/benefit from local or national government in the UK for your daughter, you may find that in the States, the benefits here are poor or in short supply. Also, as foreigners, you may be ineligible for State or Federal assistance or if you are eligible, it may be after a period of time.

So, you should look at Medicare and Medicaid (I don't know which one would apply to your daughter), and research your availability.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I cannot answer your specific questions, but I would suggest that you look into your daughter's potential future in the US very carefully. Even if - though your wife's employer - she gets decent healthcare, there will come a time when she will be an adult. The fact is that provisions and benefits for the disabled in the US are generally less generous, and more difficult to get, than in the UK.
It really depends on where you live. There are some really good programs here, especially in California. I would do a lot of research. And I don't think they are less generous - admittedly I don't know what is on offer in the UK - but I don't think they are less generous here.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes there are provisions for disabled adults.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

The exceptions are those who are disabled as a result of military service. They get some level of government benefits.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Manc

However if the child / adult is a non US Citizen I don't know if that applies.
It does.

I know of one Korean (well I wanted to say boy, he isn't anymore) who has Down's Syndrome, his parents moved over here years ago, but they were all born in Korea. Richard lives in a very nice home where all of his needs, including medical, are met very nicely. He is not an American citizen.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this is correct but I have a feeling you could have problems. From what I remember if you are insured and have a pre-existing condition and for whatever reason have to switch insurance companies, your new company has to cover the condition in a similar way to your previous one. However, if you have no insurance and try to get it with a pre-existing condition they have no obligation to cover it or could charge big bucks for it. You might want to check out the department of health and human services and a few big insurance companies to get more info and see how they treat that stuff.
Old May 10th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We have an American friend who has a sister with Down's Syndrome. Jill lives in a state funded facility and has done for years. I don't know all the details, but she does seem well looked after and I am certain the family are not contributing financially as they do not have the means.
Old May 10th 2006, 3:52 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Matthew....
Not an easy decision to make, especially with a special needs child.
It depends on the school district as to what services are offered.
Medicaid is very difficult to get. If you have savings that will go against you.
What sort of medical insurance will you have?
Think about what is best for your daughter . Good luck.
Old May 10th 2006, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Matthewx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celsius
For whose benefit do you wish to move to the States? Yours or your daughter? Healthcare costs can be crippling in the US with possibly millions of people each year becoming bankrupt as a result of their inability to pay healthcare bills/treatment.

If you're currently receiving some aid/benefit from local or national government in the UK for your daughter, you may find that in the States, the benefits here are poor or in short supply. Also, as foreigners, you may be ineligible for State or Federal assistance or if you are eligible, it may be after a period of time.

So, you should look at Medicare and Medicaid (I don't know which one would apply to your daughter), and research your availability.

its realy for the whole familys benefit. Even though she has downs syndrome she has no other related problems or health issues. we also have a 2 year old son. Not sure of the medical system in the US will have to look into it more. at the moment we are putting the feelers out to see if it a viable option..

thanks Matthew...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.