British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Special meals on flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/special-meals-flights-411291/)

Muswell Hill Dec 1st 2006 9:25 pm

Special meals on flights

My mother has coeliac disease (a total intolerance and allergy to gluten, a protein found in wheat) and cannot eat normal airline food, then again who in their right mind would want to eat it anyway?

Does anyone have any experience of special dietary requirements and meals on flights, so I can advise her on which airline to take.

Also any special experience with USAirways in this area?

Cheers,
MH

Kate2112 Dec 1st 2006 9:28 pm

Re: Special meals on flights

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
My mother has coeliac disease (a total intolerance and allergy to gluten, a protein found in wheat) and cannot eat normal airline food, then again who in their right mind would want to eat it anyway?

Does anyone have any experience of special dietary requirements and meals on flights, so I can advise her on which airline to take.

Cheers,
MH

Best advice is to take her own food - Airline food is utter crap anyway :D

Hope you find a solution to this problem :)

Muswell Hill Dec 1st 2006 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Best advice is to take her own food - Airline food is utter crap anyway :D

Hope you find a solution to this problem :)

With all the recent changes in rules on stuff allowed on board, are passengers permitted to take food on board do you know?

TruBrit Dec 1st 2006 9:32 pm

Cheers,
MH

nope sorry not much info regarding us airways. with mum's disease it would be prudent to take her own food regardless of whether she's travelling at the front or the back of the plane. safe trip :)

TruBrit Dec 1st 2006 9:33 pm

With all the recent changes in rules on stuff allowed on board, are passengers permitted to take food on board do you know?

my girlfriend was allowed to travelling from LHR to JFK last week on good old BA.

Kate2112 Dec 1st 2006 9:34 pm

Excellent point. Probably not. Contact the airline she is flying with, they should be able to tell you if they can provide a meal to meet her needs. They probably have a 1-800 number for just this kind of enquiry.

Bob Dec 1st 2006 9:45 pm

tell the airline in advance, they should be able to have something made for the flight.

Bringing your own food, probably not a great idea, it'll probably get chucked.

Sarah Dec 1st 2006 9:51 pm

Cheers,
MH

I requested a vegetarian meal on USAirways once and was given a slab of tofu covered in yellow glue.
Definitely take your own food.

Leslie Dec 1st 2006 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
I requested a vegetarian meal on USAirways once and was given a slab of tofu covered in yellow glue.
Definitely take your own food.

US Airways sucks donkey dicks on every level. They will lie to you .... they will tell you anything to get you out of their face. :mad:

Old William Dec 1st 2006 10:00 pm

I cant eat Gluten and I always pre order a meal. The best gluten free meal I've had was on British Airways but any airline will do a gluten free meal if you tell them when you book your flights.

Bob Dec 1st 2006 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
US Airways sucks donkey dicks on every level. They will lie to you .... they will tell you anything to get you out of their face. :mad:

I bet the donkeys are happy...unless there the meal :D

NC Penguin Dec 1st 2006 10:01 pm

Cheers,
MH

I had completely forgotten that I chose the gluten free meal option for my recent flights on NorthWest.

On the outbound flight, the food (dinner, snack and breakfast) was pretty unimaginative. Rice cakes with everything but the portion size was larger than the regular meals. However, the food on the way back (from Japan) was much, much better.

If this is typical of NorthWest's special diet meals, then I'm quite impressed.

I've had vegetarian meals on international flights and from memory, they were nothing special.

I'll be flying US Airways shortly but the flights don't include meals. Based on my exeprience with Customer Service (regarding changing flights), I don't have high hopes about their meals but I may be wrong.

NC Penguin

NC Penguin Dec 1st 2006 10:03 pm

I've brought snacks and fruit with me on flights (in October/November) and this wasn't a problem then over Thanksgiving, I spotted a passenger carrying a McDonalds sack when disembarking a flight.

Perhaps it's best to check with the individual airline.

NC Penguin

Muswell Hill Dec 1st 2006 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Old William
I cant eat Gluten and I always pre order a meal. The best gluten free meal I've had was on British Airways but any airline will do a gluten free meal if you tell them when you book your flights.

Due to routing I think USairways will be her best option, but will remind her of BA. Last time she flew with USAirways her gluten free meal was a dry lettuce leaf and bottle of water, i kid you not.

Kate2112 Dec 1st 2006 10:13 pm

Due to routing I think USairways will be her best option, but will remind her of BA. Last time she flew with USAirways her gluten free meal was a dry lettuce leaf and bottle of water, i kid you not.

the Kate Moss Diet :D Seriously thats awful I hope you complained, that just isnt acceptable :mad: