Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Special education needs- SENCO-IEP

Special education needs- SENCO-IEP

Old Jun 19th 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Seal2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Special education needs- SENCO-IEP

Hello- my stepson in England will be moving to the US hopefully in Sept 2013. I am trying to arrange his academic files sent to me so we can set up his high school schedule for the fall. He is currently in year 10- and has an IEP. I know that in the US- all parents are provided a copy of the IEP as well as given a yearly review of goals etc.
What are the laws in England?

Should they have sent my husband (living in England) copies of the IEPs and invited him to meetings?
Are there laws regarding this? I have a feeling that the SENCO has not given me as much information as he has, and my husband has not been provided an IEP in year 9 and year 10.

Should the SENCO be able to provide educational testing when asked?

Is there someone else I should contact at the school to get the testing?

Can a parent request educational testing if it has not been done for several years?

I hope someone can provide me with some information or a place where I can find out this info. If there are parental support groups or advocacy groups online- I'd appreciate it if you could direct me that way.
Thank you
Old Jun 19th 2013, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Orca1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Special education needs- SENCO-IEP

If your step-son has any form of education statement, then your husband (if he has legal Parental Responsibility) should have been invited to an annual review meeting by the school. This is to check on progress and to see how the IEP is going and if it needs to change as he gets older and his needs change.

If there is a statement, he can contact the SENCO or the Local Authority's Special Education Department for further information, advice and any copies.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

When I was emailed my two step children's educational records (I asked for everything) I got some things but was never sent the IEP.

My husband who keeps up with paperwork and correspondence had never been sent a copy of the IEP or invited to a meeting. When I questioned my husband (who has legal parental responsibility)- he knew nothing about it. I knew my step-son had some educational needs- and when in the items emailed to me was a reference for my son- which didn't contain any information that an IEP existed. I had already spoken to the school explaining that the UK classes, testing, and grades were difficult for me to grasp- but nothing was mentioned about an IEP. The only clue I got was the person who signed the letter's title was
Special Needs Coordinator

The SENCO appears to not have any information on testing etc.
I had to email him and ask what needs my son had- and I was sent the IEP. I would thing that if a student is transferring to another school they would have included that. I am very upset that getting any information from them is difficult.

There are laws in the US where parents need to be invited and have to have a copy of the IEP- are there similar ones in the UK?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Orca1971
Local Authority's Special Education Department for further information, advice and any copies.
How do I find out the Local Authority's special ED department?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Which county does your husband live in? Usually any County Special Education Teams are within the County Council.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Orca1971
Which county does your husband live in? Usually any County Special Education Teams are within the County Council.
IOW- Hampshire County Council is what I would want-I found the site- and I think I found what I need- I just need to speak to someone to answer my questions about IEPs and the legality of not contacting my husband or sending the IEP to him.

Last edited by Seal2012; Jun 19th 2013 at 5:59 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/childrens-s...upport/iep.htm

This link may help. I would also email the school to ask why your husband has not been kept informed of the IEP progress/changes.

The CSET dept might be able to assist/advise in relation to any further tests you might need.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your information! At the moment- they are not returning my emails. I will have to have my husband go in and talk to them if they give me the run around. I am not impressed with the school- it took me emailing the head of year 10 4xs for him to respond to my questions about transferring info for the boys new school. I had even CCd the assistant of year 10, and for the final one- I added the principal.

Because I work in the education field- I have seen how schools can give people the run around- but asking for information? They never even sent me an email saying they received mine- and they needed time to process the info. It took about 3 weeks for any acknowledgement.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. I feel very helpless being so far away and trying to get the special education programs in place for my step-son when he moves here.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

If you struggle getting any answers from the school or you are not happy with what they have done, check out the school website and see who the Chair of Governors is (school should give you this also if you ask) and write to them. We always advise parents, who don't get anywhere with a school, to contact the Chair for them to assist and/or investigate further.

You will probably get replies from Heads of Years/SENCOs then.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much! When I saw the staff directory- there were titles for people that we don't have in the states- I did see the name of the Chair of Governors- it sounded so official- I had no idea I could even contact them lol
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

It's amazing the response parents get when they tell a school they are contacting the Chair of Govenors. Things tend to happen quicker and smoother.

Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that each school has a SENCO coordinator so maybe call up the office and ask for his/her name and contact info. Failing that, speak to your local authority/council and see if they can help. At my kids' school we have the names and email addresses of all the staff and they have to reply within 24hr hours. Your child's teacher should also be able to help.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
I'm pretty sure that each school has a SENCO coordinator so maybe call up the office and ask for his/her name and contact info.
I have contacted the SENCO but unfortunately he isn't getting back to me- 2 emails and one voicemail. This is what is on my stepson's IEP

I am so thankful to everyone who has responded so far- When I asked for the school for academic records- the IEP wasn't even mentioned or sent....

The SENCO sent me the following document by email
at the top it said
Individual Educaiton Plan and Review 1-June 2012
Year 10
Nature of SEN Cognitive and Learning (SpLD)
BES (Tourettes)

date started on P 17/12/07
Current review date June 12
Next review date June 13
and there is a lot more after that- it was sent by MS word.
things aren't filled out are
Those present:
Progress leader

Are IEPs generally done on the school letterhead or more formal than the document emailed to me? My husband (who is living in England- the mother is out of the picture so he is the main parent.) has been totally left out of all of this- he has never been sent an IEP, invited to an annual review- nothing

I will have to go higher I guess- I wish there had been a rule for 24 hours to respond to email- the Year 10 head teacher took about 3 weeks and 3 emails to respond to me...
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from the IOW and have family there, I managed to escape in 1987!

The schools on the Island have been going through a transition over the past couple of years and the feedback hasn't been good.

I'd call the school again and suggest that if you are not given a response within 48 hours with either a phone call or written/email with the answers to your questions you will be writing a letter to the IOW County Press explaining your issues with the poor administration procedures and will also be phoning BBC Radio Solent to speak with Alex Dyke during his talk show phone in. Both links below The Island is a relatively small community and the schools are petrified when they get mentioned in the local media in a less than positive light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009x71w
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/Letters/default.aspx
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seal2012
IOW- Hampshire County Council is what I would want-I found the site- and I think I found what I need- I just need to speak to someone to answer my questions about IEPs and the legality of not contacting my husband or sending the IEP to him.
IOW schools don't actually fall under Hampshire you need to contact the IOW county council
http://www.iwight.com/Residents/Schools-and-Learning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.