Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speaking English !

Speaking English !

Old Aug 1st 2002, 5:20 pm
Wilf Lunn

Default Re: Speaking English !

> I get comments 'of amazement at how well English is spoken'.

exchange from a friend of mine in Ohio

USC: where are you from brit: England USC: really? What language do you speak there.

>> I am also happy to slant my accent so that it helps americans understand
    >> (pronouncing tomatoe for example).

I do that too. Just remember NEVER to attempt words like "dude" or "hella". And to be
wary with the phrase "wearing just his vest and pants".

Now if only I could manage to switch back when I call the UK...

Old Aug 1st 2002, 5:44 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Roger,

I'm from Blackpool and I am a Blackpool fan - the icon under my name is the badge for the club. I have been to Birmingham, I spent a year there one day!

In fact I am very excited because we are going to Villa Park next month to see England v Portugal.

Theres another phrase you shouldn't use in America, my (usaf) neighbour was going to Gatwick and he was going to try and get the Airforce bus but if it was full he would have to make his own way down. I said if you can't get on the come over and knock me up and I'll drive you down. Aparantley you don't tell americans to come round and knock you up!
Old Aug 1st 2002, 6:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Aluminium/aluminum is one of the interesting difference b'ween US English & UK English but there's a spelling difference.

Ask an American to say the name of the herb (or "erb" as Americans say) oregano. It'll raise a smile to many Brits. However, I haven't asked Americans all over the country to say the word so some may say it like British people do.

BTW, Americans may admire Hugh Grant and they might consider him an ambassador for Britain (especially for British males). I think not!

Those American women who've married/are engaged to British men will probably know what I mean.
Old Aug 1st 2002, 6:21 pm
Carole

>
    >My wife speaks British English with a Swedish accent... When she throws in some
    >slang with some sort of Texas accent, it makes my jaw drop. Its like the Original
    >Cowgirl just rode in off The Range.
    >

I know just what you mean - people really get a kick out of hearing Pavel use
words like 'Yall'. Yes, he really does. He was imitating my way of speaking
before he ever came here, and now he sounds just like a proper Russian
Southern boy!

Carole

Old Aug 1st 2002, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

saledevo is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Hugh Grant is a representation of British man, but although I have never taken a poll, I'm willing to bet many other American men do.. of course some my age might also think Johnny Rotten is .. ha ha.

I fell in love with my fiance because he is a "Cool Square"; meaning he is very gentlemanly and old fashioned in how he treats me (which naturally I love) but most American women my age (39) find that to be SQUARE! It's amazing that most of my friends date men who are not as quick to pay their women any kind of positive attention.. and I am being nice here! Tony is very loving and very sentimental and emotional which is something I was not used to but I love it. He's cool because he's into great music..very diverse. Americans tend to "compartmentalize" music ...I never appreciated the value of a diversified radio station til I knew Tony.. now I listen to Virgin and BBC stations from my computer at work. So across the ATlantic, while we are separated, we can still listen to the same radio station!

As for the differences in pronounciations, we now aborb each other's languages; he even noticed that I've started to drop my H's...

....but he refuses to say "DUDE" ... thank GOD!

..sal
Old Aug 1st 2002, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

saledevo is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Hugh Grant is a representation of British man, but although I have never taken a poll, I'm willing to bet many other American men do.. of course some my age might also think Johnny Rotten is .. ha ha.

OOPS! I meant WOMEN!!!! dumb me!
Old Aug 1st 2002, 7:22 pm
Chris Moorehead

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Patrick, Being from Blackpool and a Birmingham fan, surely you'll need to learn
    > English !!!!
    >
    > MJ, I also have the aluminum thing with my missus, although in England it's
    > ALUMINIUM and in the US ALUMINUM (that was confusing, did I get it right ?)

Even more confusing, Canadians tend to say "aluminum", but the Aluminium Company of
Canada (Alcan), one of Canada's largest employers, spells it the UK way -- & won't do
business with consultants who don't know this. (Fortunately, I was warned!)

Chris

--
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD Durham, NC [email protected]

"As matter of fact, an important class divide falls between those who feel
veneration before the term "executive", and those who feel like throwing up." ~ Paul
Fussell, "Class"

Old Aug 1st 2002, 8:20 pm
janesays

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Alan, Time to check your paperwork again, for the 27th time !!

34th time actually.

Old Aug 1st 2002, 8:20 pm
Denis Barlow

On 1 Aug 2002 03:21:10 GMT, rogerpenycate <[email protected]> wrote:

>Patrick, I sent you a direct email to explain to a computer dickhead how the fantasy
    >thingy works.
    >
    >Roger
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Fulham Football Club for the Premiership Title ?????

Is this the fantasy thingy?

Denis

Old Aug 1st 2002, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

tsomer is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to giggle after reading this....

My husband, who's a seventh grade teacher, actually called me at work one day so his class could listen (on the speaker phone) to my accent.

He claims, as many other do, that I have an accent (I'm Canadian) - but I don't think I do.
Old Aug 1st 2002, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

justme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Ask an American to say the name of the herb (or "erb" as Americans say) oregano. It'll raise a smile to many Brits.
How do the Brits pronounce oregano?
Old Aug 1st 2002, 9:20 pm
Denis Barlow

On 1 Aug 2002 03:21:10 GMT, Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:

>Theres an old saying - USA and Britain, two countries divided by the same language"
    >which is very apt. I, for the most part, have little trouble in America but I have
    >picked a lot of Americanisms up of the wife which helps, I am also happy to slant my
    >accent so that it helps americans understand (pronouncing tomatoe for example).
    >
    >When I first got married I was at a (her) family party and was telling her family
    >about England when suddenly one of her uncles said "will you speak English" so I had
    >to get Ellen to translate!
    >
    >You will adapt very quickly, just don't say "I'm feeling a bit queer I think I'll go
    >outside for a fag"

And just wait and see what happens the first time you ask a pretty secretary if she
has a rubber you can borrow!

Denis

Old Aug 1st 2002, 9:40 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi justme,

american - orr - egg - in - no
english are-e-garn-o

hope that clears it up
Old Aug 1st 2002, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really nice

that *is* funny...my fiance (the uk citizen) *always* has a Texas drawl when he takes a stab at an "American" accent. As someone with a very "neutral" American accent (ie, no one knows where exactly I'm from), I think it's absolutely cringe-inducing

Then again, I can't do any kind of accent in English other than my own (well, okay, I can vaguely stab at a Texan accent) but I do great in other languages.
Old Aug 1st 2002, 10:21 pm
L D Jones

Denis Barlow wrote:
    >
    > On 1 Aug 2002 03:21:10 GMT, rogerpenycate <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Patrick, I sent you a direct email to explain to a computer dickhead how the
    > >fantasy thingy works.
    > >
    > >Roger
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >Fulham Football Club for the Premiership Title ?????
    >
    > Is this the fantasy thingy?

No, simply that the word "Arsenal" was misspelled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.