Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spare Change Guv?

Spare Change Guv?

Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spare Change Guv?

Is it just me and my family or do you seem to accumulate tons of change here ? I have filled two huge jars (and my desk at work) of quarters, dimes, pennies etc over the last two years - Can you just sort it and dump it on the bank and have them weigh it or do I have count it ? do they have them machines that change it notes ?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:21 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spare Change Guv?

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Is it just me and my family or do you seem to accumulate tons of change here ?
Me too - I have a large palmwood bowl about 15" in diameter and 6" deep in the kitchen brimming with small change, all pennies and nickels. I've never had anything similar anywhere else I've lived.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:22 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me and my family or do you seem to accumulate tons of change here ? I have filled two huge jars (and my desk at work) of quarters, dimes, pennies etc over the last two years - Can you just sort it and dump it on the bank and have them weigh it or do I have count it ? do they have them machines that change it notes ?
Yeah i seem to remember that there are machines that change it for you, charging a fee of course (land of the free and all that!) don't know about having to separate it for the banks though, you had to in Blighty I seem to remember! As for accumulating all the change I think it due to the one dollar bills, you just get so used to paying with paper you don't usually worry about checking what change you have in your pocket, or is that just me?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Most banks don't charge for paying it in but they insist you put it in rolls.

Job for the kids? You can pick a bag of empty rolls up at dollar stores.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Most banks don't charge for paying it in but they insist you put it in rolls.

Job for the kids? You can pick a bag of empty rolls up at dollar stores.
ahh I wonder if they weigh the rolls or do you have to count em in ?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You just try taking all that loose change to the bank. LOL. You can buy the coin rolls from the $$ shops. I wait until its a nice warm sunny day then sit outside and put them into the rolls. Had about $800 last summer.

The coin machines which are usually in the supermarket charge a commission for doing this. I do it for free but pocket the $800. Works out quite nicely I think.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:29 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

ahh I wonder if they weigh the rolls or do you have to count em in ?

You count 'em in, I'm afraid! Give it to the kids on a rainy afternoon and promise them the 10% commission the machines you find in supermarkets would take off you.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:34 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you mention that. The other half deposits pennies in this money tin I bought off eBay. He was pretty sure there was only a few dollars worth in there but when I took into the credit union for counting (they do this free for members and I don't even have to the coins in those silly rolls), I was handed $10.09!!!

Maybe other credit unions offer this service free to their members too (mine even checked that I was a member and asked for photo ID).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:36 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you. I think it's cause of the tax they add on at the check out. You end up paying $2.32 for something instead of the $1.99 you thought you were paying. So instead of just getting a penny in change, you get a handful of shrapnel.

Most of the grocery stores here have the coin sorting machines in them but I never wanted to pay the fee for doing it so I bought a little plastic coin sorter and some paper rolls from WalMart. It does OK apart from the odd British or European coin that somehow gets mixed in!

I've never gone to the bank so I now have about $100 in little rolls in a drawer. Perhaps it would have been better to use the machine!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:43 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Who's got the hang of using up their small change to pay for purchases? I can't think of a good example now but the aim is not to get a handful of coins back as change.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK so everyone with loads of coins send them to me 'cos I could do with a new handbag.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:50 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK so everyone with loads of coins send them to me 'cos I could do with a new handbag.
Don't you live quite near me? You can pop round and get mine yourself.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Who's got the hang of using up their small change to pay for purchases? I can't think of a good example now but the aim is not to get a handful of coins back as change.

NC Penguin
I have as I did also back home, it was my Gran who taught me that habbit
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As long as you pay the postage!

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by britvic
I have as I did also back home, it was my Gran who taught me that habbit
It's a little different on this side of the pond due to the quarter. That throws me!

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.