Soy Milk

Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Soy Milk

Anyone drink the stuff?

Any recommendations on what's a decent one to get? I use to like the stuff I got at Sainsburys, but obviously can't get it here, MIL drinks the Edensoy stuff, which ain't bad, not the same, but I tried somin' else and that was pretty rank, can't remember the name of it though, so there any decent ones to look out for?
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Soy Milk

Originally Posted by Bob
Anyone drink the stuff?

Any recommendations on what's a decent one to get? I use to like the stuff I got at Sainsburys, but obviously can't get it here, MIL drinks the Edensoy stuff, which ain't bad, not the same, but I tried somin' else and that was pretty rank, can't remember the name of it though, so there any decent ones to look out for?
Try a brand called "Silk." It's USDA organic. I like it.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:46 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Silk is usually pretty good, but a little high on the fat content. Pacific is so-so.

Trader Joe's has a low sugar one which is decent.

I find the 'total fat', 'saturated fat', and 'carbs' amounts as being a fairly good test to see if two different brands will taste similar.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I tried soy milk (various brands in the UK and a couple in the US) but I don't like the taste. I do eat soy yoghurt though

I'm a fan of Rice Dream (rice milk) and have been consuming this product for at least five years now.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

haven't tried much in the way of soy yoghurt...should give it a go sometime...tried a soy ice-cream inthe summer and was surprised, it was pretty good
and also like the soy candles, nae smokey...

well cheers for the recommendations on the soy milk
don't really worry about the health requirements and I don't have any problems with lacose etc, I just rather fancy drinking the stuff every now and again, also the milk just doesn't seem the same.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
haven't tried much in the way of soy yoghurt...should give it a go sometime...tried a soy ice-cream inthe summer and was surprised, it was pretty good
and also like the soy candles, nae smokey...

well cheers for the recommendations on the soy milk
don't really worry about the health requirements and I don't have any problems with lacose etc, I just rather fancy drinking the stuff every now and again, also the milk just doesn't seem the same.
Milk in the US is not the same as in the UK, regardless of variety (except organic). US milk contains bovine growth hormone...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Milk in the US is not the same as in the UK, regardless of variety (except organic). US milk contains bovine growth hormone...
Aye, i've noticed, and the organic stuff, which there is plenty of in the area, still ain't cheap, so either using nasty milk or creamer for the coffee and tea, which is why I'm thinking of going back to soy milk for a drink, just don't want to waste a ton of money going through the millions out there and trying the nasties
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:03 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

We have regular Silk, (not flavoured) for tea and cereals. I think it's nice enough though I've never tried it on its own.

For coffee, it's fat-free half 'n' half for him, Coffeemate for me, (love the stuff, though it's probably full of sugar and bad things)!!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Only thing, I've seen Silk about, but its a tad pricey for everyday guzzling...
Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:39 am
Perfumdiva1

Tey HEB brand

It does tend to be sweeter, but I use it for milk shakes for the kids with fruit, so they dont notice

If they knew they were drinking soy, then they would totally freak, but it tastes really good

So to be perfectly honest, even if the sugar content is higher, I would prefer they had it in soy form, rather than in sweeties (Cadbury chocs etc.)

I hate milky drinks, but even I quite like it...

Happy drinking

Old Nov 30th 2004, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

cjcherri is an unknown quantity at this point

hey. we make our own. it's simple and you know everything that's in it. you can make a whole lot in less than 1 hour. pure orgainic

1. 5lbs of soybean soak in water for 24 hours, in hot water for about 2 hours
2. blend the beans with water (1 cup of beans with 1 cup of water) in the blender and cook to boil
3. once boiled, add suger to the sweet level you like (non-sweeten soymilk stays longer in the fridge)
4. strain boiled soymilk through cheese cloth (or any clean towel, cotton works better)

that's it.

Enjoy
Old Nov 30th 2004, 4:36 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
and I don't have any problems with lacose etc,
WHAT?!?!?!?!?

you dare drink that stuff without lactose intolerance??...are you some kind of heath nut?? YUCK!!!!!!! i love yogurts etc but i'll never try that soy milk!!!

...having said that for a quick ,low cal lunch making one of those ready made soy burgers is rather yummy.....as long as you pile on the lettuce,toms ,sauce and pickles!!!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
you dare drink that stuff without lactose intolerance??...are you some kind of heath nut?? YUCK!!!!!!! i love yogurts etc but i'll never try that soy milk!!!
Not hardly, but it ain't bad stuff, somin' different to the milk, though having said that, Oakenhurst imilk ain't bad, pricey, but they don't use growth hormones in the cows...
but anyway, I like soy milk...and speak of health, I really do need to be going back to the gym more often, way to lazy
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not hardly, but it ain't bad stuff, somin' different to the milk, though having said that, Oakenhurst imilk ain't bad, pricey, but they don't use growth hormones in the cows...
but anyway, I like soy milk...and speak of health, I really do need to be going back to the gym more often, way to lazy

hmm.. I AM lactose intolerant.. but personally.. I rather drink milk and take a pill than drink ANY of the replacements.. they ALL taste BAD.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 2:36 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Celtic_Angel, but I'm also in the lactose-tolerant soy/rice/almond camp. Several reasons, but the big one would be that regular milk is full of growth hormones and antibiotic residues. I don't need that crap. Organic milk is good, but they charge two or three times the price in most places.

A good soy or rice milk tastes pretty good to me (some do taste nasty or chalky). Works for me. Just watch out though - some soy milks have as much sugar as you'll find in coke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.