Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines

Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:53 pm
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future
Default Re: Southwest Airlines

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
No, there's hardly ever a problem, at least for me.

If you show up 20 minutes before departure, you can expect to be hosed by pretty much any airline.
Not if you check in online...I walk up with my seat assignment in hand. I don't think you can do that at Southwest, it's first come first serve and they board their planes just like you would load a cattle car
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:04 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Grey Area
Not if you check in online...I walk up with my seat assignment in hand. I don't think you can do that at Southwest, it's first come first serve and they board their planes just like you would load a cattle car
The beauty of SW is that they recognize that they have a bus with wings, and they run it that way. If you don't like the lack of seat assignment, don't fly with them. Myself, I find it refreshing. The other airlines still pretend to be running something special, and then whip out the truncheon when you get to the airport.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:12 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, the official rule with most airlines is that you have to be at the gate at least 30 min before departure. Having said that, I've been bumped off a plane for not being there at least 45 min early (Delta). Don't know the rule with SW, but usually they'll let you on if there's still a seat and the plane is still at the gate.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:19 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Two words for Southwest Airlines: Cattle Car
1 word "cheap"
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And showing up 20 minutes before flight your risking having said seat assignment canceled and given to someone else.

20 minutes is pushing it on any airline.

Unless flying first class on other airlines, Southwest product is not any worse then any other airline, I find their boarding with the new process more organized then airlines with assigned seating.

I rarely fly them however since their prices tend to be higher then Alaska and US Airways.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sorry, I didn't quite get it. Did they let you have the fare at the lower price and then refund the remaining? Or you have a credit with SW now for the remaining?

Glad it worked out to your advantage either way!

Rene
Sorry.

I got the lower fare and the rest was held to credit because my original ticket was non refundable. I just uses the unused credit this AM for an LA booking !!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the fuss is about.

If I were an executive or an uptight person that needed my drink certain way or wanted my newspaper certain way or an aisle seat a must then sure.

But all I want is to arrive my destination safe. On a single salary every dollar counts and I stay with cheapest airline. May be not cheapest but cheap and decent service. Southwest or Jetblue suits the bill and I dont do heck of travel but I have had no issues with either. Touch wood ....
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I always fly Southwest when I have a choice. They're usually on time or even early. If there is a problem, they'll go out of their way to make sure you get to your destination.
Our experience is exactly the opposite, SW is almost always late, or even often cancels flights altogether so you have to wait for the next one leaving. Fortunately between LA and Phx, there's one almost every hour...but it's still a hassle.

But for the price, running late is still tolerable because the trips are just for pleasure...no deadlines involved.

I do agree they are good at solving problems if they come up.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 9th 2011 at 8:48 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Sorry.

I got the lower fare and the rest was held to credit because my original ticket was non refundable. I just uses the unused credit this AM for an LA booking !!
Yay! Glad to hear the good result!

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yay! Glad to hear the good result!

Rene
Yahoo. Saved 24 per person for 6 of us. More beer ...

I am planning to change the other leg too and get on the next flight 1.5 hour later. Saves me 50 each!!

I did nothing just kept my eyes open for cheaper tickets. Love SW thus far
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo. Saved 24 per person for 6 of us. More beer ...

I am planning to change the other leg too and get on the next flight 1.5 hour later. Saves me 50 each!!

I did nothing just kept my eyes open for cheaper tickets. Love SW thus far
Sounds good!

Our tickets from Houston to San Francisco were so much cheaper than Continental. We booked them last month for Xmas week and really got a deal
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:27 am
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
1 word "cheap"
Thinking it, but didn't want to say it
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:34 am
Banned

But all I want is to arrive to my destination safe.
You've set the bar very low there
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking it, but didn't want to say it
Sometimes, for some of us, this is the only way to go.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

You've set the bar very low there
Yeah well sure I won't tolerate sub standard customer service but my point was I am not looking for 5 star service. Like I said for a single salary living in CA, every bit helps.

PS. I want to arrive at my destination safe and on time most most of the times.