Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines

Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Southwest Airlines

Hello,

Anyone fly with Southwest? I have a quick question. I have a booking for Las Vegas to Austin, TX. I paid $169 for it. Now, I notice that there same leg same date is available for $124.

Here is the issue - when I log into my southwest account and try change my flight, it does not give me the $124 option!! it only shows me $169. However, if I just check the website without logging in I do see the $124 flight!

Does southwest offer cancellation without fees? I was wondering if I can just cancel the flight and book it at $124 5 mins after.

Thanks.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southwest Airlines

Originally Posted by E3only
Hello,

Anyone fly with Southwest? I have a quick question. I have a booking for Las Vegas to Austin, TX. I paid $169 for it. Now, I notice that there same leg same date is available for $124.

Here is the issue - when I log into my southwest account and try change my flight, it does not give me the $124 option!! it only shows me $169. However, if I just check the website without logging in I do see the $124 flight!

Does southwest offer cancellation without fees? I was wondering if I can just cancel the flight and book it at $124 5 mins after.

Thanks.
My hubby and I fly SW all the time. SW does not have cancellation fees, no...but sometimes a fare can't be refunded either. It depends what type of fare you bought in the first place.

You can cancel the $169 fare and if it's a refundable fare, they'll refund it. If not, it will be saved in an account for 1 year for you to reuse (the funds can be applied to any other flights, for any amount). If the $124 flight is still available, you can go ahead and purchase that one instead. You'll either end up with a refund of your $169, or a $169 credit on SW good for 1 year.

There are no fees involved with any of the above.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My hubby and I fly SW all the time. SW does not have cancellation fees, no...but sometimes a fare can't be refunded either. It depends what type of fare you bought in the first place.

You can cancel the $169 fare and if it's a refundable fare, they'll refund it. If not, it will be saved in an account for 1 year for you to reuse (the funds can be applied to any other flights, for any amount). If the $124 flight is still available, you can go ahead and purchase that one instead. You'll either end up with a refund of your $169, or a $169 credit on SW good for 1 year.

There are no fees involved with any of the above.

Rene
Thanks Rene,

The new fares are for this weekend. I plan to call them and tell them I need to cancel and re-book. Ideally, I want to use the cancellation funds immediately to re-book. See how that goes.

I am not doing anything here that will get them to red flag my account right? I don't want to call them and then all of a sudden they say I can not do what I want to do....

It's clear to me. I want to cancel and re-book lower fare that's all it is. I don't mind having the credit but I booked for 6 of us so it will be close to $2k in the credit and there is no way we will use that in 12 months (we did lots of our vacation travel already)....and the 2K is for LAS to Austin, Austin to SFO in case you were wondering!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 11:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not doing anything here that will get them to red flag my account right? I don't want to call them and then all of a sudden they say I can not do what I want to do....

It's clear to me. I want to cancel and re-book lower fare that's all it is. I don't mind having the credit but I booked for 6 of us so it will be close to $2k in the credit and there is no way we will use that in 12 months (we did lots of our vacation travel already)....and the 2K is for LAS to Austin, Austin to SFO in case you were wondering!
No, there's no red flags in what you want to do, and SW won't charge you any fees for making the change.

The only thing I can see, as I've said, is that if you bought a non-refundable type of ticket in the first place, they won't be able to refund the money so you can use it right away on the immediate re-purchase of the lower fare...they will hold it in the SW account for 1 year. If you bought a refundable fare, then yes, they can probably do what you want.

I've found SW to be very straightforward yet friendly on the phone, you can probably just give them your confirmation number and tell them what you want to do...they'll let you know if it's possible or not. My sister and I once wanted to come back home from vacation on a later flight, so I called SW to change our ticket. The nice lady on the phone at SW said if we change our ticket, we have to pay the difference in fare price, which was a bit high....but she reminded us that if we MISS our flight, we can always try to get on a later flight at no charge...and since there was a flight leaving almost every hour that day, we had a good chance of making a later flight at no extra charge. I thought that was really nice of her! We took her advice and enjoyed extra hours at the beach in LA, got on a later flight, and paid nothing extra.

Please let us know how it goes...since I use SW so often, I'm curious. I hope you do get the deal you want!

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 8th 2011 at 11:35 am.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:44 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I flew them last week, if you are unable to change the ticket thats to bad, but at least its a short flight and remember that you do not get a seat assignment, you will grouped into A, B,C, and its up to you to find a decent seat as and when they call you.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys.

I called and confirmed if I could do what I wanted. Very helpful staff. Both the original fare and the new one are web only so the rep just guided ms through and I changed the flight. That's that. I could only change one of the two flights because I have 6 passengers and one of the flights does not have 6 tickets for that leg

Point to note tho is I can use the credit in the same passengers name. So re fact that I use my credit card for all of them does not matter.

That's the update. I am going to keep checking if they release 6 tickets at lower price for the other flight !!

Cheers
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds impressive! I chose to adopt US Airways as my regular vehicle for getting between CA and AZ, but this makes me think I should have chosen SouthWest. US Airways are highly competitive with SW on price, but - if you need to change, you are screwed.

Too late for me to change now, I'm totally embedded in their frequent flyer game with 100,000 + 'miles' (half of that is credit card usage), etc. I do get some first class upgrades, and always get to sit in rows 5 or 6 with an aisle seat, early boarding, fast track through security, etc ...
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:16 am

Thanks guys.

I called and confirmed if I could do what I wanted. Very helpful staff. Both the original fare and the new one are web only so the rep just guided ms through and I changed the flight. That's that. I could only change one of the two flights because I have 6 passengers and one of the flights does not have 6 tickets for that leg

Point to note tho is I can use the credit in the same passengers name. So re fact that I use my credit card for all of them does not matter.

That's the update. I am going to keep checking if they release 6 tickets at lower price for the other flight !!

Cheers
Sorry, I didn't quite get it. Did they let you have the fare at the lower price and then refund the remaining? Or you have a credit with SW now for the remaining?

Glad it worked out to your advantage either way!

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:55 am
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future

Two words for Southwest Airlines: Cattle Car
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by The Grey Area
LOL, I agree...but tolerable for short trips.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe but when you can cut the price in half compared to other airlines on the same route then who cares....it's what is at the other end of the trip that is important to us
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:22 pm
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future

It's the Walmart of Airlines
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It's the Walmart of Airlines
I always fly Southwest when I have a choice. They're usually on time or even early. If there is a problem, they'll go out of their way to make sure you get to your destination.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
If there is a problem, they'll go out of their way to make sure you get to your destination.
And there's always a problem isn't there? I like to show up 20 minutes before departure and just walk on the plane so I have a big problem with over booking, and Southwest seems to really over book their flights.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:43 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

And there's always a problem isn't there? I like to show up 20 minutes before departure and just walk on the plane so I have a big problem with over booking, and Southwest seems to really over book their flights.
No, there's hardly ever a problem, at least for me.

If you show up 20 minutes before departure, you can expect to be hosed by pretty much any airline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.