Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Southwest airlines

Southwest airlines

Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default Southwest airlines

I am planning to fly from Nashville to Seattle.Anyone has good or bad experience with this airline? Their airfare seems to be the cheapest but dont know anything about the service and the type of aircraft they use. I was looking at their website but cant find the type of aircraft they use.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southwest airlines

Originally Posted by abboy
I am planning to fly from Nashville to Seattle.Anyone has good or bad experience with this airline? Their airfare seems to be the cheapest but dont know anything about the service and the type of aircraft they use. I was looking at their website but cant find the type of aircraft they use.
I've heard they are pretty good. Not sure if my knowledge is recent though.

Most of the airlines would use various planes I'd think - you'd have to see what the plane was for the particular flight you were booking. Perhaps if you phoned them up the agent could tell you that?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

they are ok for short hops. used them a few times. on time departure pretty good overall.

they fly mainly 737's.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

They fly only 737's

cattle class all the way.
Think Ryanair but a bit better.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
They fly only 737's

cattle class all the way.
Think Ryanair but a bit better.
A lot better, imo. They don't pull stupid stunts like having to pay extra for each checked-in bag and they are much more accomodating in terms of dealing with delays and missed flight. And in terms of the US, I have found them much more reliable than the 'majors'.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:58 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Often a missed point is that the "low cost" airlines run really tight ships. What I mean is, if a problem DOES occur, say forcing a plane to be delayed or taken out of service, your more often than not - screwed.

If you have to be somewhere then either go with an airline with MORE planes or go the night before.

You get what you pay for.

The last time I travelled SouthWest, not only did I get a delay but could not get on the NEXT 3 flights as they were all oversold. NEVER again for me !!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:13 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The do run a tight ship and are exclusively 737s. The cabin crews pride themselves on being a bit silly from time to time, but there are some drawbacks. Most notably is the 'cattle call' boarding policy which means first come, first serve and no assigned seats. If you are late to the airport, middle seat for you.

They are usually cheaper, but in major hubs the 'majors' have often sought to battle them fare for fare so you migth want to check if anyone else is flying that route as well.

The only other thing is that on a long haul like Seattle, they might one or two hop it through Denver or SLC or something. If direct, great, but the extra stops might be a pain.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I fly Southwest regularly. In total, I guess I have taken over 200 Southwest flights in the past 5 years or so.

Only once have they been seriously delayed (about 3 hours). On a handful of occasions they were about an hour or so late. But on the whole I have found them to be remarkably on time.

I love Southwest! And they keep sending me those lovely drinks vouchers - no other airline does that!

(Make sure you check in online ahead of time so you don't get in the C-line, which usually means a middle seat...)
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:42 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

I love Southwest! And they keep sending me those lovely drinks vouchers - no other airline does that!
United Airlines just sent me 10 drink vouchers, trouble is I never drink alcohol when I fly.....
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
United Airlines just sent me 10 drink vouchers, trouble is I never drink alcohol when I fly.....
Now why don't they send me any!! I fly with them often enough. Maybe they're pissed off because I actually use the miles?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:45 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Now why don't they send me any!! I fly with them often enough. Maybe they're pissed off because I actually use the miles?
We use the miles all the time.
maybe I should sell the vouchers on the plane
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:31 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

When I fly AA I get vouchers at the lounge because I present my BA Silver card. Apparently if you go into a lounge w/ status from another oneworld airline (not AA) you get vouchers.

But I rarely have time so I usually pick out some really hot woman (there are few in the lounges) and give the drinks to her.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Continental does all the time to moi
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There was a whole TV series based on them ...
Airport or Airline ...
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:32 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Southwest kicks ass. Always fly with them when I have the choice. Just don't expect any food. Never have any hassle from them, and no outrageously long check-in times. If you cancel, you get to keep the credit for another flight.

No assigned seating. You'll get in the A, B, or C line depending on when you got your boarding pass. People will be standing in the A line long before you get to the gate. Unless you're travelling with company, leave them to it. What the A line people forget is, yes they'll get their choice of seats, but they won't be able to pick who sits next to them. If you're solo, aim for either the end of the A line, or somewhere in the B line.

I've also found them to be very reliable - often early too.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Apr 13th 2007 at 12:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.