Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Southern Border

Southern Border

Old Sep 18th 2021, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Southern Border

What do we do with the current 10,000 at our southern border with thousands more on the way? This is only a little worse than what happens as a monthly routine. Any sign that this is somewhat ok will only invite thousands more. As much as I detest Trump his power and popularity is directly related to his hard stance on immigration. In my limited understanding of Brexit wasn’t immigration a major driving force for UK leaving EU?
Old Sep 18th 2021, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern Border

There is lots of room in the US for the 10,000 plus. I am sure all these Democratic State Governors will soon be offering up hotel rooms and other stuff to welcome these unfortunate people.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There is lots of room in the US for the 10,000 plus. I am sure all these Democratic State Governors will soon be offering up hotel rooms and other stuff to welcome these unfortunate people.
How about the millions to come after? Any guess of the numbers involved if our policy was just get across the border and you are home free?
Old Sep 18th 2021, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
How about the millions to come after? Any guess of the numbers involved if our policy was just get across the border and you are home free?
Well isn't that the great conundrum of quite a few countries in the world? I have never heard the US, UK, Canada, Germany and a few others put a cap on the number of refugees/migrants they are willing to accept. One thing Covid has taught us that money trees appear to be growing freely the way some Governments have been spending so I am sure there is money to provide for the unfortunate.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well isn't that the great conundrum of quite a few countries in the world? I have never heard the US, UK, Canada, Germany and a few others put a cap on the number of refugees/migrants they are willing to accept. One thing Covid has taught us that money trees appear to be growing freely the way some Governments have been spending so I am sure there is money to provide for the unfortunate.
I have very limited stake in the issue, about same as my stake in climate change. Over 70 married with no children.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

With current demographic changes there will soon be a time when USA will be looking to immigrants to stop population decline. However it is not politically acceptable today.

Having said that a country should enforce the current immigration rules fully. Which is not to say that the current rules are fair, but they are what exists today. If people do not like the consequence of the rules, then change the policy.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 7:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

People will continue to migrate for as long as there are major forces driving them to leave wherever it is they originally come from. That is the entire history of our species (and that of others) and part of the adaptability that has made us successful. It transcends state borders and laws and can't ever really be stopped. Only thing to do is prevent the situations that make large numbers of people desperate to move in the first place, but we are currently doing the opposite.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
People will continue to migrate for as long as there are major forces driving them to leave wherever it is they originally come from. That is the entire history of our species (and that of others) and part of the adaptability that has made us successful. It transcends state borders and laws and can't ever really be stopped. Only thing to do is prevent the situations that make large numbers of people desperate to move in the first place, but we are currently doing the opposite.
Yep these invisible lines we have created go against the natural world.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yep these invisible lines we have created go against the natural world.
Its not as simple as that. They aren’t coming here for better climate or hunting. Out of control immigration will lead to elected officials being more Trump than Trump.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 12:31 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Its not as simple as that. They aren’t coming here for better climate or hunting. Out of control immigration will lead to elected officials being more Trump than Trump.
I've been here a long time. Some "illegal" immigrants have been welcomed, some not, but it has never stopped and it never will. Not while the conditions exist that drive them. Trumpists or no Trumpists. Businesses that support Trump have also been instrumental in enabling "illegal" immigration, and that has also been the case for decades - I remember visiting some meat packing plants near Dubuque that were doing exactly that, with concrete huts set up to house the workers in. Illegal immigration is an industry, driving not only the economy but the various border agencies and those agencies and businesses that support them. We only pretend that we want the migration to stop.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 2:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The US government says it plans to fly the migrants back to where they began their journeys.

Flights are expected to start on Sunday, with the US currently negotiating returns with the countries in question.

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58612566
Old Sep 19th 2021, 5:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Probably reading this wrongly but NZ has a cap on the intake of refugees. It is 1500 per annum I believe at the moment. It also has a cap for assorted immigration policies although all of that is on hold right now.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

The existential threat to America lurks, has awakened, and is fast metastasising - not from without, but from within.

What's happening at its border will not destroy this country.

Unless we confront and deflect the fascistic tide sweeping over us from within, its tsunami is what will overwhelm America.
Maybe it will even halt "immigration invasion"
Old Sep 19th 2021, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is amazing how quickly things change.

Can you imagine the outrage this would have caused only a year ago?
Old Sep 19th 2021, 5:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the current demographic shifts it is only a matter of time before the majority of Congress is made up of non-whites. Something tells me that immigration policy will be significantly easier to change when/if that happens.

As to what we do about it now, how am I supposed to know? Many people much smarter than I am have come up with ideas that have either failed or never got started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.