British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   South Carolina Drivers License + other general questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/south-carolina-drivers-license-other-general-questions-270125/)

Haroulli Dec 3rd 2004 11:05 pm

South Carolina Drivers License + other general questions

Hi, im planning to move to Chasleston SC in January on a J-1 visa for 6 months pending my interview in London. I will need to get a car to travel to and from my place of training as there is no bus service! In order to get cheaper insurance i was hoping that having a SC DL would fix it but would i need to re-sit at test there? And what paper work will i need?

I assume i will need a: SS# my UK DL and/or my IDP anything else? I really dont want to have to sit another test though especially for 6months. I have looked at the DMV.ORG site and looked in the SC section but the link i need "New to SC" isn't working

Also if i buy a car i'll have to get plates as plates belong to people not the car like in the UK right? What process does that take? SS# and DL and if so is it possible to get them on a IDP and/or UK DL?

What about Banking? I will need to transfer funds from my UK account to a new US account which i'll need to setup? My branch in the UK said that this can be done via Wire Transfer. However, i have read that some banks in the USA don't like wire transfers etc? Does anybody know of banks that do for sure accept wire transfers from over seas?

Sorry but i am a complete noobie to this and I haven't caught on with most of the lingo like whats a EAD?

Many Thanks

Haroulli Dec 3rd 2004 11:10 pm

Re: South Carolina Drivers License + other general questions

Just to update i've had a PM from Muswell Hill and they stated that its only a 10min test with a few multi choice q's.

Im just trying to see if i can just get one on the basis of having a UKDL and an IDP.

They also suggested that to get insured and registerd on a car i'll need to have a SCDL but my roommate is also a UK citizen and he still has his UKDL and no SCDL and he has his own car registration and insurance no problems anybody shed some light on this?

Bob Dec 4th 2004 12:16 am

All depends on the state....but most of them require you to get a local license when your a resident of more than 30 days, some are 60, but anyway, it'll say on the website, so you'll need to get one.

Shouldn't be hard to pass though.

As for setting up a bank, most do require a ssn, but you should be getting one if your working, so that shouldn't be a problem, and shouldn't be a problem doing wire transfer, just anything over $10K get's reported.

NC Penguin Dec 4th 2004 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Haroulli
Hi, im planning to move to Chasleston SC in January on a J-1 visa for 6 months pending my interview in London. I will need to get a car to travel to and from my place of training as there is no bus service! In order to get cheaper insurance i was hoping that having a SC DL would fix it but would i need to re-sit at test there? And what paper work will i need?

I assume i will need a: SS# my UK DL and/or my IDP anything else? I really dont want to have to sit another test though especially for 6months. I have looked at the DMV.ORG site and looked in the SC section but the link i need "New to SC" isn't working

Also if i buy a car i'll have to get plates as plates belong to people not the car like in the UK right? What process does that take? SS# and DL and if so is it possible to get them on a IDP and/or UK DL?

What about Banking? I will need to transfer funds from my UK account to a new US account which i'll need to setup? My branch in the UK said that this can be done via Wire Transfer. However, i have read that some banks in the USA don't like wire transfers etc? Does anybody know of banks that do for sure accept wire transfers from over seas?

Sorry but i am a complete noobie to this and I haven't caught on with most of the lingo like whats a EAD?

Many Thanks

As J-1 visa is some kind of academic related visa, right? If that's the case, I would ask the institution that you will be training at for answers to your question. At the very least, check their website to see if info is provided that would answer your questions.

Also, keep looking at the SC DMV website. You need to establish whether your visa status would mean you are resident or non resident in the State. Usually, residents of a state will have to get the state's license in order to drive legally (this rule varies from state to state so you need to refer to the SC DMV website).

An IDP based on a UK drivers license is worthless. The IDP, International Drivers Permit is basically a translation of non-English language drivers licenses into English. Since the original license is in English anyway, the IDP means nothing. It is not a substitute for a Drivers License, just a translation.

Will you have a SSN? If so, then you should not have a problem opening a bank account. As for wire transfers, these shouldn't be a problem either but enquire at at least two chains of bank to find out about charges, speed of wire service, etc.

Bob Dec 4th 2004 12:30 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
An IDP based on a UK drivers license is worthless. The IDP, International Drivers Permit is basically a translation of non-English language drivers licenses into English. Since the original license is in English anyway, the IDP means nothing. It is not a substitute for a Drivers License, just a translation.

Is handy if you don't have the newer photo ID drivers license though, that's why I got mine...could never be bothered with the new drivers license, so it's still the naff paper one...to tight to be bothered changing it :D

Pulaski Dec 4th 2004 6:31 am

.... he still has his UKDL and no SCDL and he has his own car registration and insurance no problems anybody shed some light on this?

Not much. .... It doesn't sound very likely, and he may have bent the rules. If so I hope that he doesn't get in a wreck (whether his fault or not) or stopped by the police.

In any case most states require you to get a local license in 30 or 60 days after arriving in the state. If your friend has legit insurance using a British licence then he is probably paying through the nose for it.

The main hassle in getting a licence and vehicle registration is the waiting and the bureaucratic cats cradle that most states seem to want to create. Here in NC the vehicle licencing and the drivers licencing offices are separate organizations (the vehicle side has been contracted out, thankfully at least not to India! :rolleyes: ), and in my town they are about eight miles apart.

My advice - get a local licence if at all possible (you may be asked for a SSN), and do things by the book. Cutting corners and bending the rules will only create the potential for huge problems.

Haroulli Dec 4th 2004 11:31 am

From what i've understood from your feedback, thank you for that btw, is that i should check to see if I'll be a resident or a non resident in the eyes of SC and if i am i'll need to get my SCDL which can be obtained via a simple drivers test and a written test. And what i'll need to present on the day is my SS#.

I will need an SS# as even though my J-1 visa is a Training Visa not a work visa I am allowed to recieve an allowence from my host organisation. Thus, i'll need a bank account and so forth.

Thanks for all of you who replied. Simple not trying to cut corners but im trying to not go out of my way to do stuff thats not required! Thankfully the English like Beauracracy :rolleyes:

Muswell Hill Dec 4th 2004 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski

My advice - get a local licence if at all possible (you may be asked for a SSN), and do things by the book. Cutting corners and bending the rules will only create the potential for huge problems.

I absolutely 110% agree with this. Even though the DMV in SC is very inefficient and slow, you shouldn't jeopardise your stay but not following the rules.

Muswell Hill Dec 4th 2004 12:03 pm

From what i've understood from your feedback, thank you for that btw, is that i should check to see if I'll be a resident or a non resident in the eyes of SC and if i am i'll need to get my SCDL which can be obtained via a simple drivers test and a written test. And what i'll need to present on the day is my SS#.

I will need an SS# as even though my J-1 visa is a Training Visa not a work visa I am allowed to recieve an allowence from my host organisation. Thus, i'll need a bank account and so forth.

Thanks for all of you who replied. Simple not trying to cut corners but im trying to not go out of my way to do stuff thats not required! Thankfully the English like Beauracracy :rolleyes:

As far as i understand it, you won't be an SC resident, but foreign non-immigrant visitor (their wording not mine) I would really recommend considering getting a SC drivers license, mainly for the ID aspect of things. Here you are asked for ID all the time! Most people won't know what a British passport looks like, and you will really find life much easier with it. It is also a nice reminder of SC when you go back home, having a 'real' American drivers license.
Best of luck!

Haroulli Dec 4th 2004 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
As far as i understand it, you won't be an SC resident, but foreign non-immigrant visitor (their wording not mine) I would really recommend considering getting a SC drivers license, mainly for the ID aspect of things. Here you are asked for ID all the time! Most people won't know what a British passport looks like, and you will really find life much easier with it. It is also a nice reminder of SC when you go back home, having a 'real' American drivers license.
Best of luck!

Guess it looks like im taking another drivers test! LOL will have to shake the bad habits at least for 10 mins or so! I hope its easy i've got a few years of habits to shake lol! How do you get used to driving on the "other" side of the road? I've driven a few times over there but took a fair amount of concerntration to keep to the right lane? Tips anyone?

tony126 Dec 4th 2004 1:33 pm

Your UK licence is good for 90 days. The 'written exam' is done by touch screen process in a room on your own. You are allowed to get 6 wrong out of 30 or 35 questions. I had to do a few simple tests on site prior to literally going around the block for my test. You do have to pass an eye test and subject to passing all that you are issued your licence there and then. Try and get a small car for the 'reverse parking'. They call this 'parallel parking' and you reverse into a confined space adjacent to a curb. The license is good for 5 years. The ' SC Highway code' is absolutely nothing like as difficult as the UK one. If you have any more questions fire away. As you can see I live in SC. Any one who has been to Charleston will tell you it is a wonderful city which I am sure you will enjoy. :beer: :beer:
Ps:- as mentioned previously it is the best form of identification. If you have the UK Passport which has your photograph in it theN that will suffice but it is easier with the DL.

Haroulli Dec 4th 2004 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Your UK licence is good for 90 days. The 'written exam' is done by touch screen process in a room on your own. You are allowed to get 6 wrong out of 30 or 35 questions. I had to do a few simple tests on site prior to literally going around the block for my test. You do have to pass an eye test and subject to passing all that you are issued your licence there and then. Try and get a small car for the 'reverse parking'. They call this 'parallel parking' and you reverse into a confined space adjacent to a curb. The license is good for 5 years. The ' SC Highway code' is absolutely nothing like as difficult as the UK one. If you have any more questions fire away. As you can see I live in SC. Any one who has been to Charleston will tell you it is a wonderful city which I am sure you will enjoy. :beer: :beer:
Ps:- as mentioned previously it is the best form of identification. If you have the UK Passport which has your photograph in it theN that will suffice but it is easier with the DL.

Thanks for your information! So I shouldn't worry about taking my test again then right? I shouldn't really be worried as I had to take my test in Cyprus aswell as here in the UK and passed. But i can tell you the UK tests are hard and I can not be bothered to resit that kinda test again! Are all tests a simple round the block thing or does it depend on the examiner? As for reverse parking im not bad at them at all. When u say choose a small car do they supply the vehicle or would it be my own?

Thanks Again

p.s. i think Charleston is great, i've been there twice so far and have really enjoy'd my self!

Muswell Hill Dec 4th 2004 2:39 pm

Thanks for your information! So I shouldn't worry about taking my test again then right? I shouldn't really be worried as I had to take my test in Cyprus aswell as here in the UK and passed. But i can tell you the UK tests are hard and I can not be bothered to resit that kinda test again! Are all tests a simple round the block thing or does it depend on the examiner? As for reverse parking im not bad at them at all. When u say choose a small car do they supply the vehicle or would it be my own?

Thanks Again

p.s. i think Charleston is great, i've been there twice so far and have really enjoy'd my self!

My test had the simplest of questions: eg.:
1. What should you do at a stop sign?
2. What should you do if a police car flags you down?

You will pass it with both eyes shut, i promise!

Haroulli Dec 4th 2004 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
My test had the simplest of questions: eg.:
1. What should you do at a stop sign?
2. What should you do if a police car flags you down?

You will pass it with both eyes shut, i promise!

Hmm simple enough :P

So does anybody know what i need to present to them to set me self up with a test?

Just talking to someone and they said that they had to get their permit first which is the written test then i'll have to wait a week or month to take the drivers test? Is that right? OR can i just do it all in one day one after the other?

What will i need to present to them?

tony126 Dec 4th 2004 3:03 pm

Thanks Again

You will need a SC Highway Code. Obviously you will need to look at this but compared to the Uk code it is absolutely simple to follow. In my cas the 'test drive was simply deiving around the block. Traffic lights, getting into the right lane. signalling etc etc. He did take me onto a quiet stretch of road where I had to reverse for 20yds and do a 3 point turn then drive back to the test centre. Providing you have obeyed all the signs then you should be OK. It really is not difficult at all. You do have to supply your own car I think the 'written test' is standard throughtout the State and I would assume the driving test is not that much different. When you know from which DVL you will be taking your test then go down there and practice driving around all the local area so as to familiarise yourself. You will not drive too far away from the DVL.