British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   South Africa DCF Part 1 and question for final interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/south-africa-dcf-part-1-question-final-interview-108689/)

jcsutton Jun 3rd 2002 6:25 pm

South Africa DCF Part 1 and question for final interview

We are Jerry (USC) and Paula (SAC) and after doing bunches of research (with this group being the major resource, thanks to all!!) we married in Johannesburg on the 12th of May and filed
I-130 at the consulate on the 15th. Though they would not give us packet 3 prior to our initial interview we had all the paperwork and documentation ready including notarized I-864, tax returns etc....Twas a bit weird. They took our paperwork and then we waited for our initial interview. After chatting with those around us, we were called for our interview. Just happened to be the Consul General himself. Paula was nervous that she was going to get the 3rd degree and lo and behold...I did!!! He started giving me a hard time about being married before, how did I know that this one was going to last, etc.....Frankly, I was a bit flabberghasted and had no idea what to say. Paula, bless her heart, spoke up in my defense, 30 seconds later, Mr. Consul General says "Petition Approved" and gives us packet 3. Musta been testing us as a couple or something. Wasn't pleasant...We went to the mall across the street to grab a cup of coffee and go over the packet 3 paperwork, determined the we did indeed have everything we needed and went back to the consulate to give it to them. They looked it over, said "OK", gave us packet 4 (medical forms) and gave us a final interview date of June 18th.
Just a couple of questions. #1) She applied for a visitor visa a couple of months ago and of course was denied. After that, we decided to get married. This shouldn't be a big deal, right??
#2) Last year she entered the green card lottery for South Africa after we had begun communicating as something of a snowball's chance lark. Any problem there?? Thanks everyone, you've been a wealth of information and an occasional source of entertainment. And yes, Sweet Rete, after the 18th we will be posting our experience in excruciating detail on the kyma(?) site....

Rete Jun 3rd 2002 6:54 pm

Re: South Africa DCF Part 1 and question for final interview

Wow I love this story and can't wait to see it in print for all the world to read. So the final chapter will be written on the 18th of June. I like June ... my birth month and when my husband got his visa.

As for your questions,

1. No the denial of the tourist visa should not be a problem. As long as she did not lie on the application and/or at the interview (if there was one) there should be no reprecussions.

2. The greencard lottery is just that a lottery. It is like trying to win $1,000,000. Like with the tourist ... this, too, should not present a problem.

Rete
who will be reading the NG on the 19th for your news

Des Jun 4th 2002 9:20 am

What an amazing story! You seem so well-prepared!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed
along with everyone else reading this newsgroup.. Good luck! -Des

Omo Jun 4th 2002 3:20 pm

jcsutton <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > We are Jerry (USC) and Paula (SAC) and after doing bunches of research (with this
    > group being the major resource, thanks to all!!) we married in Johannesburg on the
    > 12th of May ....

May 12, 2002, eh? Quite a lovely day indeed to get married! (Not to mention that that
special day for you all is also me and hubby's FIRST anniversary.) hehe...

Anyway, congratulations and all the best to both of you on June 18th - and beyond!

Omo

jcsutton Jun 18th 2002 1:30 pm

Thanks everyone......