British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sound Engineer VS the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sound-engineer-vs-usa-909648/)

jHed Feb 23rd 2018 11:14 pm

Sound Engineer VS the USA

Hi there!

Long time reader- first time poster!

I recently married a US citizen and am currently waiting on a work permit.

Back home I was a sound engineer by trade and hold ten years experience. However I fell into this job by accident and as a result- am somewhat wet behind the ears when it comes to looking for work.

I was wondering if anyone on this here board was aware of any sound engineers or event tech's from the UK who are also in America who could possibly give me a few pointers in regards to either a) finding work or b) generally just finding a way to reach out/pick the brains in regards to how they got started working with gigs and events over here?

Cheers!

old.sparkles Feb 25th 2018 5:47 am

Re: Sound Engineer VS the USA

Originally Posted by jHed (Post 12449552)
Hi there!

Long time reader- first time poster!

I recently married a US citizen and am currently waiting on a work permit.

Back home I was a sound engineer by trade and hold ten years experience. However I fell into this job by accident and as a result- am somewhat wet behind the ears when it comes to looking for work.

I was wondering if anyone on this here board was aware of any sound engineers or event tech's from the UK who are also in America who could possibly give me a few pointers in regards to either a) finding work or b) generally just finding a way to reach out/pick the brains in regards to how they got started working with gigs and events over here?

Cheers!

Hi there and welcome to the forums :)

I've moved your post over to our main USA forum where it will be more visible and you are more likely to get some responses :)

Good luck.

tom169 Feb 25th 2018 5:38 pm

Hi and welcome. Your post mentioned "back home" and "work permit".

So are you currently living in the USA awaiting adjustment of status and also your I-765 to be approved?

I'd make sure your resume is up to date and Americanized. Get your linked in on and ask for some recommendations on there from previous coworkers.

I'm not sure if there are licencing for this job in the USA - I doubt it. If there is then you'll need to navigate that.

notaclue Feb 25th 2018 9:22 pm

It's not easy here - Most AV jobs are through local unions. - Former lampie.

Bob Feb 26th 2018 6:02 pm

A couple former colleagues got jobs over here that brought them over, but that was in the games industry. They networked pretty hard and either went to big shows like GDC or E3 back in the day, or gave talks.