Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Old May 28th 2012, 4:39 pm
  #1  
lf1
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
lf1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Scotland, just!
Posts: 2,042
lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

I have just been chatting with Rodney, on another thread, about getting organized for the move back. So I have learned from this experience of getting organized for the move that there are some things that you can do, well ahead of time, that will lift some of the pressure when you get closer to your moving date:

I scanned all my childhood photographs over a period of time

Copied all my cd's to the hardrive/backup HD. I still want to keep my cd's, right or wrong, so I am getting rid of the cd cases and have bought 3 small cases, from Staples, that will hold 300 cd's and they take up a fraction of the space.

My paperwork is in pretty good shape, except for statements etc that I have kept for years, so they are now in the shredding pile. Our local AMA along with the police dept. provide 3-4 free shredding at different locations in the city, in the springtime. So I have already taken about 8 bankers boxes of shredding to the last event. There is another one coming up next weekend so I'll be taking another 3-4 boxes to them. They use the commercial shredders so it takes no time at all to get the job done. Would have taken me a month of Sundays to do it on my wee home shredder.

One of the things that I wished I started earlier (not less than 2 months from moving date) is scanning important documents. It is the most tedious job, but I am almost finished. I am taking 7 years of tax records back and I am not planning to scan them as it would take me forever.

Just thought I would share my experience as if there is anyone that is planning on moving, but can't do so in the near future, then at least you can get a head start on preparing for the move and it makes you feel as if you have already started the journey. There are many things that can't be done until later, but scanning, copying and sorting can fill the long winter nights.
lf1 is offline  
Old May 30th 2012, 6:45 pm
  #2  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 11,422
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Good advice! Giving away or selling stuff is another thing that should be done over the course of a year or two. Here in the northeastern US, spring is yard sale season so a good time to do some long term downsizing. Also, giving unneeded clothes to thrift stores.
robin1234 is offline  
Old May 30th 2012, 6:50 pm
  #3  
lf1
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
lf1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Scotland, just!
Posts: 2,042
lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Yes, I wish I started giving away stuff much earlier. it would have made the prep for listing the house so much easier.
lf1 is offline  
Old May 30th 2012, 7:19 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 291
Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

I scanned all my important docs and music ... Brought back two portable hard drives in my hand baggage. Much easier but I agree scanning is very tedious so start early!
Moggiemiss is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:27 pm
  #5  
BE Reader for years!
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 131
BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

When I moved to the US several years ago I imported all of my music cd's to my laptop then shipped the CD's - it is a tedious process. I also went as paperless as possible with banking and other things that are managed online. However it was harder then as online accounts weren't as prominent as they are now just a few years later. I went paperless in the US as they send so much post - most of it crap or offers for things you don't want or need. But it helps keep things organised. Indeed shredding is also a pain too...
BritinFLUSA is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:09 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
pompeyblonde's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Burnham On Crouch Essex
Posts: 1,511
pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

This is very useful, Planning to return to the Uk early next year March or thereabouts, got myself a hard drive off I go!

Did you scan DVDs etc as well? what did you keep? I have about 6 months, so I need to get cracking!
pompeyblonde is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:40 am
  #7  
lf1
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
lf1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Scotland, just!
Posts: 2,042
lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde View Post
This is very useful, Planning to return to the Uk early next year March or thereabouts, got myself a hard drive off I go!

Did you scan DVDs etc as well? what did you keep? I have about 6 months, so I need to get cracking!
I didn't scan my DVD's and they are being shipped as I type. Most of them will never see the light of day again as I am sure they will be available on British TV, as my collection mainly consists of British drama, comedy and documentaries. However, some of them are like books to me and I cannot part with them e.g. Foyle's War, All Creatures Great & Small, Coast etc. I did consider doing as I did with my CD's and getting rid of the cases, but there is too much good episode info on the cases.

I kept the most recent statements that are not available online. My plan now is to scan monthly statements, not available online, when I receive them. That should help to keep the paper to a minimum.

I also kept receipts for items that I still own, 7 years worth of tax returns, certificates, bank agreements and any other docs I felt were important. I kept all documents relating to the house that I owned until the sale was finalized, then I had them shredded.

I had many photographs scanned and had planned to get rid of most of the originals, but I ran out of time and ended up shipping back a bunch of photos that will be ditched when they get here.

I should have allocated more time to the sorting of paperwork, digital media, photos etc, but hopefully sombody will learn from my mistake and get a head start.

Good luck.
lf1 is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:05 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
formerwelshgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Originally Posted by lf1 View Post
I have just been chatting with Rodney, on another thread, about getting organized for the move back. So I have learned from this experience of getting organized for the move that there are some things that you can do, well ahead of time, that will lift some of the pressure when you get closer to your moving date:

I scanned all my childhood photographs over a period of time

Copied all my cd's to the hardrive/backup HD. I still want to keep my cd's, right or wrong, so I am getting rid of the cd cases and have bought 3 small cases, from Staples, that will hold 300 cd's and they take up a fraction of the space.

My paperwork is in pretty good shape, except for statements etc that I have kept for years, so they are now in the shredding pile. Our local AMA along with the police dept. provide 3-4 free shredding at different locations in the city, in the springtime. So I have already taken about 8 bankers boxes of shredding to the last event. There is another one coming up next weekend so I'll be taking another 3-4 boxes to them. They use the commercial shredders so it takes no time at all to get the job done. Would have taken me a month of Sundays to do it on my wee home shredder.

One of the things that I wished I started earlier (not less than 2 months from moving date) is scanning important documents. It is the most tedious job, but I am almost finished. I am taking 7 years of tax records back and I am not planning to scan them as it would take me forever.

Just thought I would share my experience as if there is anyone that is planning on moving, but can't do so in the near future, then at least you can get a head start on preparing for the move and it makes you feel as if you have already started the journey. There are many things that can't be done until later, but scanning, copying and sorting can fill the long winter nights.
Hi I'm returning to the UK from toronto this year. I would like your experience on filing of the departure tax. Do you have to file the final tax return the year you are leaving or can you file next year. I've had conflicting answers from different accountants, therefore, I would like your personal experience. many thanks
formerwelshgirl is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:22 pm
  #9  
lf1
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
lf1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Scotland, just!
Posts: 2,042
lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Originally Posted by formerwelshgirl View Post
Hi I'm returning to the UK from toronto this year. I would like your experience on filing of the departure tax. Do you have to file the final tax return the year you are leaving or can you file next year. I've had conflicting answers from different accountants, therefore, I would like your personal experience. many thanks
Funny you should ask as I am in the midst of preparing our Cdn tax returns. Rightly or wrongly, I am filing our returns in the usual manner so I am just about ready to send off our 2012 returns (we left in 2012) Once they have been filed and assessed by CRA then I plan on dealing with the UK side of things.
lf1 is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:47 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
formerwelshgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Originally Posted by lf1 View Post
Funny you should ask as I am in the midst of preparing our Cdn tax returns. Rightly or wrongly, I am filing our returns in the usual manner so I am just about ready to send off our 2012 returns (we left in 2012) Once they have been filed and assessed by CRA then I plan on dealing with the UK side of things.
Thanks for the reply, I've already filed my tax return for 2012, but was told I should also file a departure return based on this year's revenue. But, I don't have any capital assets. I'm so confused! Also, Did you notify cra you were leaving, such as CPP, Gst etc, or are you going to do it while in the uk? Thanks again
formerwelshgirl is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:08 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
formerwelshgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Originally Posted by Aiden143 View Post
Well moving back to your place from another country is never easy and does require a lot of planning..Just make sure you don't part away from the things that are extremely dear to you..
Thanks for that, but that is not my question, If you know of the answers to the questions I've asked please let me know. I've had some many conflicting answers.
formerwelshgirl is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:30 am
  #12  
lf1
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
lf1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Scotland, just!
Posts: 2,042
lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Originally Posted by formerwelshgirl View Post
Thanks for the reply, I've already filed my tax return for 2012, but was told I should also file a departure return based on this year's revenue. But, I don't have any capital assets. I'm so confused! Also, Did you notify cra you were leaving, such as CPP, Gst etc, or are you going to do it while in the uk? Thanks again
Sorry, but I can't answer your question re "departure return". My guess is that we will need to file something with CRA in 2013 as OH has Cdn income and paid Cdn tax in the first quarter of 2013. As we will need to deal with the UK tax side of things, since our arrival in 2012, I think we might need to get some professional help. If you have any recommendations on who to use, I'd love to hear from you. We did get some professional advice, in Canada prior to leaving, but this mainly dealt with selling/renting the house, RRSP's etc. However, the fee was eye watering and I need to look for someone else.

I didn't advise CRA of our departure, but did advise the financial institutions that we use.

You might have more luck with your question if you post a separate thread on Cdn /UK tax issues. In the meantime, if I find out anything on this subject I'll let you know.
lf1 is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:07 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
formerwelshgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sorting Paperwork/Photos/Music prior to moving

Originally Posted by lf1 View Post
Sorry, but I can't answer your question re "departure return". My guess is that we will need to file something with CRA in 2013 as OH has Cdn income and paid Cdn tax in the first quarter of 2013. As we will need to deal with the UK tax side of things, since our arrival in 2012, I think we might need to get some professional help. If you have any recommendations on who to use, I'd love to hear from you. We did get some professional advice, in Canada prior to leaving, but this mainly dealt with selling/renting the house, RRSP's etc. However, the fee was eye watering and I need to look for someone else.

I didn't advise CRA of our departure, but did advise the financial institutions that we use.

You might have more luck with your question if you post a separate thread on Cdn /UK tax issues. In the meantime, if I find out anything on this subject I'll let you know.
Hi, I did find out that if you have no capital gains you don't have to file a departure tax return.I can file next year in the UK. I'm going to to make an appointment with a tax accountant to get a complete picture regarding withholding taxes, reporting my leaving Canada, global taxation etc. I will let you know when I find out.
formerwelshgirl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.