Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This sort of thing really annoys me!

Wikiposts

This sort of thing really annoys me!

Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy It took Churchill years to try to convince Roosevelt to enter the war, and in fact it took an act of invasion (the attack on Pearl Harbour and the subsequent occupation of some of the Aleutian Islands) to finally engage America in the war.
Actually, Roosevelt wanted the US to join the war, rather it was congress and the American people that proved hard to convince.

You are talking about events that took place over a period of months
To the Poles, Austrians and Czechs, those months must've seemed like an eternity.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:20 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Jabba1
Actually, Roosevelt wanted the US to join the war, rather it was congress and the American people that proved hard to convince.
Given that in addition to being President he was also CIC of the American Armed Forces perhaps he should have done a better job of convincing the American people that this was a just fight. Had America entered the war earlier he may have been able to avoid the attack on Pearl Harbour.

[/QUOTE] To the Poles, Austrians and Czechs, those months must've seemed like an eternity. [/QUOTE]

Yes they probably did, though English endured years of bombing by Germany. It was only by the action of the RAF during the Battle of Britain that we held off invasion. This is why so many English people will be offended by this film.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 5:03 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: This sort of thing really annoys me!

Originally posted by jaytee
I also noticed growing up that in cartoons and movies the bad guys have a british accent that you learn to automatically associate with their brutal, evil, unnecessarily sadistic actions.
Yes, but that was the Bad English I was talking about previously. These days we only use just enough sadism to achieve our ends, never more.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 5:40 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
Given that in addition to being President he was also CIC of the American Armed Forces perhaps he should have done a better job of convincing the American people that this was a just fight. Had America entered the war earlier he may have been able to avoid the attack on Pearl Harbour.
To the Poles, Austrians and Czechs, those months must've seemed like an eternity. [/QUOTE]

Yes they probably did, though English endured years of bombing by Germany. It was only by the action of the RAF during the Battle of Britain that we held off invasion. This is why so many English people will be offended by this film. [/QUOTE]

You seem to be getting the words "English" and "British" mixed up. Please desist.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 6:23 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by DaveC ... You seem to be getting the words "English" and "British" mixed up. Please desist.
Don't think I am...

If I did though it wouldn't be the first mistake I have made today. I can be a complete dough-head at times, I can tell you!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:29 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Be that as it may, none of this is really relevant to the re-writing of one of the greatest periods in English history that this film will attempt. A lot of people will be quite upset by this.
Yes they probably did, though English endured years of bombing by Germany. It was only by the action of the RAF during the Battle of Britain that we held off invasion. This is why so many English people will be offended by this film.
It wasn't just the English who were fighting against the Germans in WWII, and England wasn't the only part of the UK which was bombed.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:42 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by DaveC
It wasn't just the English who were fighting against the Germans in WWII, and England wasn't the only part of the UK which was bombed.
Of course you are right, and I stand corrected.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:06 am
100% Pure

I share your annoyance on this subject and will endeavour to enlighten people where I can when the movie comes out. As to my chances of success, the phrase "farting against thunder" springs to mind...
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:19 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by DaveC ... "farting against thunder" springs to mind...
Which brings us neatly back to the discussion about curry in the Food Craving thread...
Old Sep 17th 2003, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

It has been said that Roosevelt new the attack was coming, but chose to allow it. This would give him the provocation he needed to wake up congress and the American people.

Back then the American people were devout isolationists, they thought that the Nazis were Europe's problem, not theirs. It wasn't that the American people thought the cause wasn't just, they simply didn't believe it was their war to fight. Roosevelt knew he needed a provocation like Pearl Harbor to wake up the people.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 2:48 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jabba1
Back then the American people were devout isolationists
No change there then...
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
No change there then...
I would love to see us go back to isolationism, I think we should keep entirely out of the rest of the worlds business from now on. Of course, that's not likely to happen, now is it.

"Sigh"......There's something to be said for isolationism.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:06 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by Jabba1 ..."Sigh"......There's something to be said for isolationism.
There is also something to be said for the feudal system, if one looks at it from the Seigneur's point of view.

Personally I think America's purported isolationist position in the first half of the 20th century is largely populist myth. America did it's fair share of empire building in The Philippines, Panama, and Hawaii. Large American companies such as Coca-Cola and Ford and others also did a lot of business all over the world throughout the 20th century, so presumably American isolationism (such as it was) didn't apply to foreign markets.

Don't misunderstand me, I am certainly not one of those anti-globalism Johnnies. I just think that isolationism was concept sold to previous generations of American voters so that politicians of the day could further their careers.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:15 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Come on...

We all know that Cruise HAS to be the BEST at everything!!

Best bar tender...
Best combat pilot...
Best pool shark...
Best sports agent...
Best samurai warrior...

Hmmmm...not sure what else is left
Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:18 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife hates him...

She used to live in Sunriver (small place outside Bend, Oregon) where they get a proverbial sh**load of snow each year.
Cruise rented a large house there.

He called up the only guy in the area who was clearing peoples driveways and asked him to come clear his drive cos he couldn’t get his car out.

The guy explained that people were waiting before him and he would get there when he was done with them...Cruise gave him the "do you know who I am?" bullshit and the guy said "yes sir I know exactly who you are...but there are still 10 people in front of you!"

Personally I reckon If you have fame you may as well try and use it to your advantage...I know I would. This may have worked in Hollywood for him, if they ever got snow there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.