Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This sort of thing really annoys me!

Wikiposts

This sort of thing really annoys me!

Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:59 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Exactly. How hard could it be, especially since we could probably pinch half the dialogue from Shakespeare without anyone noticing. A little touch of Tommy in the night.
The immortal bard might be a bit highbrow though for the 12-16 year old crowd that fuels the Hollywood juggernaught. What about rather than English and French armies, we recreate Agincourt at a skateboarding competition somewhere in Orange County, and throw in Gwyneth Paltrow for the love angle. She can work out that love / hate thing she has with English men into her character. It will be great, I tells ya...
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
The immortal bard might be a bit highbrow though for the 12-16 year old crowd that fuels the Hollywood juggernaught. What about rather than English and French armies, we recreate Agincourt at a skateboarding competition somewhere in Orange County, and throw in Gwyneth Paltrow for the love angle. She can work out that love / hate thing she has with English men into her character. It will be great, I tells ya...
I don't know, I think we need that all-American hero look. I like the love angle though. Paltrow as the betrothed of Henry V, ( who naturally turns out to be a useless English fop, needing Cruise and his band of brave boys to defeat the French - in fact I think it's going to be Cruise's idea to put the sharpened stakes in the mud against the French cavalry - he probably also makes a modification in the longbow that allows everyone to shoot straight) who then falls in love with Cruise. They can move to Orange Country after the battle's over if you like, marry, and their children can be the Founding Fathers.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
Its a fact that american historical based movies never ever portray themselves as losers or coming in second place. They always like to play on the patriot americans, putting down any other countries efforts or accomplishments in wars.

Speilberg/tom hanks had an 11 part series called "band of brothers". It was a great mini series except for the one part (happens to be the only part the brits were in too), where they made the brits out to be the cause of american deaths because of british protocal.

They wanted a brit tank to shoot through a building because the enemy was on the other side, but the brits said they couldnt because they werent allowed to just blow up buildings. (this was after d day).

Well I have my own opinions of the attitudes of many americans after living in Canada for 19 years. When it comes to wars, the brits tend to make sure their targets are the enemy, whereas, USA seems to shoot first and hope what they shoot is the enemy.

I grew tired of americans proudly stating that they won the war.
So here we are now, watching afghanistan being bombed, then iraq. Next it looks like either north korea or iran.
I truly believe that usa is looking to be early for ww3 seeing as they were late for the first 2 wars.

Hey............ Just my 2 cents worth

Luke (Neil Australia)

The Polish would probably say that we were all late for the war, Brits included. As I recall, no one came to their aid when they were invaded by the Nazis.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:19 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Going off on a tangent here...
But they ruined the Italian Job !
That got Americanised and it is a baaad bad remake.

It's not just films - television shows get remade and ruined.
Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Cracker.

Wish people would just leave things alone !

(Ah the nurse is here with my medication.)
Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:45 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Jabba1
The Polish would probably say that we were all late for the war, Brits included. As I recall, no one came to their aid when they were invaded by the Nazis.
Britain declared war on Germany two days after they invaded Poland, and hostilities between Germany and Britain started very shortly after; hardly abandoning them.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 2:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hhm, well, that was in fact the moment when the U.K. declared war. I would say that, more to the point, we were all late for the war, Poles, Brits, Americans, you name it, in terms of stopping the genocide and deportation to concentration camps of the Jewish people, Romany, etc. etc.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nathan barley
Britain declared war on Germany two days after they invaded Poland, and hostilities between Germany and Britain started very shortly after; hardly abandoning them.

Yes, both Britian and France declared war, but niether actually came to the aid of Poland. It wasn't until the Nazis invaded Norway that any actual fighting occured between Germany and Britian. That was well after Poland had been conquered. And don't forget to tell the Austrians and Czechs that the British and French were right on time for the war.

Last edited by Jabba1; Sep 15th 2003 at 3:42 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: This sort of thing really annoys me!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...777448,00.html

Don't misunderstand me, the US is home and I love it here, etc. etc. but this just too much.
I guess if the truth is important to people then they will learn it for themselves, because there is really nothing that can be done.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:29 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Yes, both Britian and France declared war, but niether actually came to the aid of Poland. It wasn't until the Nazis invaded Norway that any actual fighting occured between Germany and Britian. That was well after Poland had been conquered. And don't forget to tell the Austrians and Czechs that the British and French were right on time for the war.
You are talking about events that took place over a period of months. It took Churchill years to try to convince Roosevelt to enter the war, and in fact it took an act of invasion (the attack on Pearl Harbour and the subsequent occupation of some of the Aleutian Islands) to finally engage America in the war.

Be that as it may, none of this is really relevant to the re-writing of one of the greatest periods in English history that this film will attempt. A lot of people will be quite upset by this.

Last edited by Stumpyguy; Sep 16th 2003 at 4:28 am.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:31 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Hhm, well, that was in fact the moment when the U.K. declared war. I would say that, more to the point, we were all late for the war, Poles, Brits, Americans, you name it, in terms of stopping the genocide and deportation to concentration camps of the Jewish people, Romany, etc. etc.
Agreed. So much more should have been done to stop this.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:37 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...777448,00.html

Don't misunderstand me, the US is home and I love it here, etc. etc. but this just too much.
It isn't only in the movies that this happens... I recently chaperoned a field trip to Boston with my daughters 5th grade class, I was fit to stand on a chair and start screaming by the end of the day, because I'd heard about all I could stomach about the Battle at Bunker Hill.

Even though I had no right claiming any of it was untrue seeing as I didn't remember squat about the way it was taught to me in the UK, but, I do think it would have been fair to add that the British aren't enemies anymore.

I'll try top find a link etc about the Freedom Trail as the Bostonians call it.

PS. Mother Goose was a real person and we did see her grave, and at another cemetary was the headstone of Hester Prynne, the woman that wore the Scarlet Letter.

Last edited by BrigieDarling; Sep 16th 2003 at 3:44 am.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 4:23 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by BrigieDarling ...I do think it would have been fair to add that the British aren't enemies anymore...
Just tell 'em it was all the fault of the Bad English (like the ones that burned the White House during the War of 1812), and not the Good English like us. We had the Bad English punished a long time ago...

The really ironic thing regarding the American Revolution is that they were us and we were they... The Declaration of Independance and the subsequent Constitution of the United States of America were really events in the history of the English speaking people's progress along the road of democracy (like the Peasant's Revolt, the signing of the Magna Carta, The English Civil War, etc.). I really see it as the continuation of a single thread. Many of the gentleman farmers that signed the Declaration of Independance saw it in the same way.

Last edited by Stumpyguy; Sep 16th 2003 at 5:04 am.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:11 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me. I have been trying to find some info on the signatories of the Declaration of Independence, i.e. a complete list of the signers and what nationalities there family originally hailed from.

Merely out of curiosity, since I have heard it said that a large percentage of the signers were Scottish, Welsh and Irish?
Anyone got some web addresses with this kind of thing?
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:30 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by tony_2003
That reminds me. I have been trying to find some info on the signatories of the Declaration of Independence, i.e. a complete list of the signers and what nationalities there family originally hailed from.

Merely out of curiosity, since I have heard it said that a large percentage of the signers were Scottish, Welsh and Irish?
Anyone got some web addresses with this kind of thing?
I have never seen any data on the subject, though I know the Welsh have a claim on Jefferson's ancestry. I don't know how far back they went to make that claim though. It is also common knowledge (I am sure Hollywood made a film about it) that there were 2 or 3 Irish regiments that fought with the Americans.

Everything I have ever read by those recognised to be the Fathers of the American Revolution was originally written in English. Though those participants of Scots or Irish or Welsh birth or ancestry may have thought of themselves as English speaking Scots or Welsh or whatever prior to the revolution, afterward they thought of themselves as Americans, as we all know.

Last edited by Stumpyguy; Sep 16th 2003 at 6:36 am.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

I also noticed growing up that in cartoons and movies the bad guys have a british accent that you learn to automatically associate with their brutal, evil, unnecessarily sadistic actions.

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
It isn't only in the movies that this happens... I recently chaperoned a field trip to Boston with my daughters 5th grade class, I was fit to stand on a chair and start screaming by the end of the day, because I'd heard about all I could stomach about the Battle at Bunker Hill.

Even though I had no right claiming any of it was untrue seeing as I didn't remember squat about the way it was taught to me in the UK, but, I do think it would have been fair to add that the British aren't enemies anymore.

I'll try top find a link etc about the Freedom Trail as the Bostonians call it.

PS. Mother Goose was a real person and we did see her grave, and at another cemetary was the headstone of Hester Prynne, the woman that wore the Scarlet Letter.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 16th 2003 at 8:45 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.