Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This sort of thing really annoys me!

This sort of thing really annoys me!

Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:24 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough
Angry This sort of thing really annoys me!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...777448,00.html

Don't misunderstand me, the US is home and I love it here, etc. etc. but this just too much.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:31 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Sigh, Hollywood once again rewrites history in it's own image.

British studios should strike back and make a movie about the American Revolution with a British actor like Hugh Grant starring as George Washington. The British troops in the film could run around shouting "We're the good guys, rule Brittania!" and handing out food and care to impoverished continental prisoners & troops.

Edit: IGN article
Fiske was half American, half British. IGN's assesment of the movie doesn't sound as extreme, it's apparently a biopic

Last edited by nathan barley; Sep 15th 2003 at 6:39 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:12 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Its only a movie - hardly worth getting upset about. I doubt the film will become part of the national curriculum in either the UK or US.

And you also have the option of not going to watch it.

Not many movies stick to the facts.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:17 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by nathan barley
... Edit: IGN article
Fiske was half American, half British. IGN's assesment of the movie doesn't sound as extreme, it's apparently a biopic
The Last Enemy by Richard Hillary, or Pathfinder by AVM Bennett CB, CBE, DSO, KCVSA, OAN would have been a far better choice for a biopic IMO. It was very brave of Fiske to volunteer for service when most of the USA was looking to stay out of the war, and I in no way wish to trivialise the sacrifice he made. Having said that, my concern is that this will turn into complete Hollywood whitwash of a period in our history that we must never forget. I am taking this whole thing a bit personally as I have a family connection with the RAF (Grandfather was OC of an RAF Pathfinder squadron in the 1940s).

Anyway, I won't be seeing The Few on point of principle. I will buy a copy of Dambusters on DVD instead.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:24 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that if you dont like it then dont watch it.

Personally will not watch it as I have no interest in the story.

I live way too close to Hollywood and see these nutters in action - its all one big movie to them!
Old Sep 15th 2003, 9:11 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Been happening for years...The Great Escapes main character was an American (Steve McQueen) despite there being no record of Americans involved in the real life event.

I wonder what would happen if the British made a film about Vietnam and made us the heros
Old Sep 15th 2003, 9:27 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by tony_2003
Been happening for years...The Great Escapes main character was an American (Steve McQueen)...
Yes, of course you are right but this is still annoying (typing this while humming the theme from Dambusters...).
Old Sep 15th 2003, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

This simple fact is, fiction has always put more "bums" in seats than true to life films. I've said it once and I'll say it again, Hollywood producers just love their fiction.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
This simple fact is, fiction has always put more "bums" in seats than true to life films. I've said it once and I'll say it again, Hollywood producers just love their fiction.
Trouble is, it will be promoted as "based on a true story" and the line between truth and fiction is blurred. A large portion of the population will believe the whole film is a true account.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This sort of thing really annoys me!

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...777448,00.html

Don't misunderstand me, the US is home and I love it here, etc. etc. but this just too much.

And then there was that whole capture of the Enigma machine thing. Can't remember the name of the film, but I think it was named after the sub. Anyway, it completely bypassed the fact that the first Enigma was caputured by a British ship and crew.

In case you wanted to get more annoyed....

My father, who spent the entire length of WWII in the 8th Army on assorted fronts (Africa, then Italy), having cheated on his medical exam to get into the army in the first place (he was extremely shortsighted and failed the first two eye tests - so he hung around after he put his glasses back on and learned the test by heart, then went to another site and "passed" the test), went to an official event at the end of the war. He swore blind that the U.S. officers arrived at this event wearing buttons that said "We won the War". My father, who had lost many good friends before the U.S. showed up, was not amused.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:35 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Trouble is, it will be promoted as "based on a true story" and the line between truth and fiction is blurred. A large portion of the population will believe the whole film is a true account.
My point exactly! I wonder if they will make a sequel with Tom Cruise leading the plucky band of American archers that defeats the French at the battle of Agincourt?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

My point exactly! I wonder if they will make a sequel with Tom Cruise leading the plucky band of American archers that defeats the French at the battle of Agincourt?

Oh my God! Call his agent. We're rich!
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:46 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Oh my God! Call his agent. We're rich!
Hey, we could network and develop a concept, maybe even turn it into a storyboard...
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:50 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Its a fact that american historical based movies never ever portray themselves as losers or coming in second place. They always like to play on the patriot americans, putting down any other countries efforts or accomplishments in wars.

Speilberg/tom hanks had an 11 part series called "band of brothers". It was a great mini series except for the one part (happens to be the only part the brits were in too), where they made the brits out to be the cause of american deaths because of british protocal.

They wanted a brit tank to shoot through a building because the enemy was on the other side, but the brits said they couldnt because they werent allowed to just blow up buildings. (this was after d day).

Well I have my own opinions of the attitudes of many americans after living in Canada for 19 years. When it comes to wars, the brits tend to make sure their targets are the enemy, whereas, USA seems to shoot first and hope what they shoot is the enemy.

I grew tired of americans proudly stating that they won the war.
So here we are now, watching afghanistan being bombed, then iraq. Next it looks like either north korea or iran.
I truly believe that usa is looking to be early for ww3 seeing as they were late for the first 2 wars.

Hey............ Just my 2 cents worth

Luke (Neil Australia)
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:50 pm

Hey, we could network and develop a concept, maybe even turn it into a storyboard...

Exactly. How hard could it be, especially since we could probably pinch half the dialogue from Shakespeare without anyone noticing. A little touch of Tommy in the night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.