Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

amt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud of
Default Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

I'm an american who has been living in England for 6 years. I think that people over here are to used to getting everything for free! The people in general have been rude & lazy. The country is very pretty but I could live without ever seeing again. I dislike it so much I am moving back to the USA. Can't wait to return & I will never take it for granted again!!! I will have real health care again instead of treatment like something from a 3rd world!!!! If you all dislike the USA so much maybe you should return to your crap weather the UK has to offer!!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:33 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

Originally Posted by amt070
I'm an american who has been living in England for 6 years. I think that people over here are to used to getting everything for free! The people in general have been rude & lazy. The country is very pretty but I could live without ever seeing again. I dislike it so much I am moving back to the USA. Can't wait to return & I will never take it for granted again!!! I will have real health care again instead of treatment like something from a 3rd world!!!! If you all dislike the USA so much maybe you should return to your crap weather the UK has to offer!!!!!
I think you're just flaming. If you disliked the UK so much, how come you've lived there for six years?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:47 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an American too who lives in the UK and the US and has actually gotten to the point that I recognize each for what it is and I now find myself spending less and less time whining about what they are not, thus enabling me to enjoy each for what they have to offer. I think the sooner you realize the differences (and relish in them) the more enjoyable time you will have in either country.

Sometimes I think the whole debate is like arguing 'which screwdriver is better--a flat or a Phillips'?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Pray tell, what is free? Do not say the NHS either because it is not.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Pray tell, what is free? Do not say the NHS either because it is not.
I suppose the lower income bracket you're in - the more that is free.

The higher income you have, the more taxes you pay.

If you have no income (and therefore no taxes) then it's free.

I am myself fascinated by people that keep calling things free - there isn't a money tree that I am aware of. This btw, is NOT my debating what should be government funded vs. not. Just - nothing is actually free to all.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fair comment ..I just don't remember anything being free..

Where are you living now???
and what State will you be returning too??....
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:02 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
If you disliked the UK so much, how come you've lived there for six years?
The same could be asked to a lot of the posters on here who have lived in the US for years and years and still complain about how awful it is, how much they hate it and how they can't wait to leave. I really don't see the difference, except that the OP's comments are probably more appropriate being posted on a US expat forum instead of here.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:08 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

On the other side of the coin.......I'm a Brit who has become utterly sick to death of the total lack of social consience here in America and the fact that absolutely everything is centered around the accumulation of wealth and the pursuit of things. The way of life is seconded to a better standard of living. I would gladly surrender all this rubbish I've accumulated for a semi and an old car and begin enjoying the simple pleasures of a real culture again, though it be tainted by years of bad Govt. mishandling. Good luck on your return to the United Corporations of America.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

amt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud ofamt070 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats fair comment ..I just don't remember anything being free..

Where are you living now???
and what State will you be returning too??....
I live in Putney,London now & will be moving to Manhattan,New York.
No the NHS is not free for the people who work & pay taxes & I think my spouse pays enough for a lot of people to get their care.
I don't hate everything about the country,but on the whole I will be glad to go.In general it is just a less outgoing country & it is not a service oriented country.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think you're just flaming. If you disliked the UK so much, how come you've lived there for six years?
I have been here so long because my spouse in English & people do a lot for love !!!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:24 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

The people in general have been rude & lazy.
Ah - You can't beat a good generalization to make a point.

If you all dislike the USA so much maybe you should return to your crap weather the UK has to offer!
... and a little dig at an outside influence. I suppose you didn't know what the weather was like before you went there?
I think you'll find that the majority of "regulars" on here do prefer the US to the UK. Maybe you should look for AmericanExpats.com ?

Get some cheese for your whine FFS
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No the NHS is not free for the people who work & pay taxes & I think my spouse pays enough for a lot of people to get their care.
I don't hate everything about the country,but on the whole I will be glad to go.In general it is just a less outgoing country & it is not a service oriented country.
I must admit I don't see Putney as a particularly attractive place to live
But then any inner city area is just traffic, noise and pollutants..
and within reach of some fine crime ridden estates..
I do believe you have just got a bit homesick perhaps ...your return here will/may be quite a shock ..after six years...
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are I think. I like London for a day or 2 but could never live there. Preferred the north any day of the week.
Likewise, Manhattan NY is a different kettle of fish to most of USA. For example, I lived in Virginia for 3 years and couldn't believe how rude people where there. Where I live now, the people are very nice (PA) but small town so lots of very narrow minded people who think diversity is having a Mexican restaurant a few miles out of town,

As for weather, hmmmm..... hurricanes in the south, humidity so bad you can't breathe, tornadoes mid west, digging you car out of the snow all winter in the north, earthquakes in the west, deserts in the SW..... I quite miss my mild mediocre rain and fog LOL

Healthcare - yep crappy nasty waiting rooms in the NHS, posh comfy ones in US. Low income in the UK & get terminal cancer? Get treatment. Low income in US and get terminal cancer? Hold a fundraiser and hope you raise enough. Or, like some I know, never go for your mammograms because you know you can't afford treatment if they find anything. Great treatment if you can afford healthcare or work for a company with a good plan. Go bankrupt if you don't.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hey don't be sorry amt070, it's not your fault that imo the USA is not as great as the UK

btw welcome to British Expats
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:39 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Healthcare - yep crappy nasty waiting rooms in the NHS, posh comfy ones in US. Low income in the UK & get terminal cancer? Get treatment. Low income in US and get terminal cancer? Hold a fundraiser and hope you raise enough. Or, like some I know, never go for your mammograms because you know you can't afford treatment if they find anything. Great treatment if you can afford healthcare or work for a company with a good plan. Go bankrupt if you don't.
what he said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.