Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

sorry wrong forum

sorry wrong forum

Old Aug 18th 2004, 2:37 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80
Marie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really nice
Default sorry wrong forum

moved to another forum

Last edited by Marie723; Aug 18th 2004 at 2:39 am. Reason: Wrong forum
Marie723 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 2:42 am
  #2  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 45,972
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
A friend has been in touch with immigration lawyers to help him get to the US. He has a business in England and wants to start one here in the US. The person he is going through , im not sure is helping much. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice I can pass along to help point him in the right direction. What kind of work permit would he need and how long are we looking at? Is it better to come without trying for a work visa or no? Should he use a lawyer or fill things out himself? Where should he start? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Marie
In summary your friend needs an E1 visa (5, below) unless he has $1million to invest (6, below), and and E1 won't get him a green card.

There are basically SEVEN ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:
(1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

(2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must, or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience.

(3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.

(4) You get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N. Ireland are not eligible).

(5) You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)
The business must have a minimum value of around $100k (the more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $250k would be a nearer minimum. If you sell or close the business you must leave the country.

(6) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you, .... and your background will be investigated to the hilt.

(7) You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2004 at 2:45 am.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:00 am
  #3  
100% Pure
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Fort Worth, TX.
Posts: 1,185
DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Pulaski, maybe this could be an eighth item for the list.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ard.game.reut/

Interested Brits may have to dig out the Fawlty Towers DVDs to brush up on their Spanish.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In summary your friend needs an E1 visa (5, below) unless he has $1million to invest (6, below), and and E1 won't get him a green card.

There are basically SEVEN ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:
(1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

(2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must, or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience.

(3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.

(4) You get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N. Ireland are not eligible).

(5) You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)
The business must have a minimum value of around $100k (the more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $250k would be a nearer minimum. If you sell or close the business you must leave the country.

(6) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you, .... and your background will be investigated to the hilt.

(7) You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years!
DaveC is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:39 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80
Marie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really nice
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In summary your friend needs an E1 visa (5, below) unless he has $1million to invest (6, below), and and E1 won't get him a green card.

There are basically SEVEN ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:
(1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

(2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must, or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience.

(3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.

(4) You get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N. Ireland are not eligible).

(5) You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)
The business must have a minimum value of around $100k (the more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $250k would be a nearer minimum. If you sell or close the business you must leave the country.

(6) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you, .... and your background will be investigated to the hilt.

(7) You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years!
OK so if I am reading that correctly, he can not use the lottery because he is from England correct?

Can he apply for a green card if he was to follow through with number 5? Should he get a lawyer to help him with 5?

Lets say he did get "engaged" how easy is it to get 1 at that point? and what if the marriage never took place..or , what if it was a real long engagment? Thanks again for your responses!
Marie723 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:58 am
  #5  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
OK so if I am reading that correctly, he can not use the lottery because he is from England correct?
If he and his parents are uk citizens by birth ...NO
Originally Posted by Marie723
Can he apply for a green card if he was to follow through with number 5? Should he get a lawyer to help him with 5?
Number 5 is an E-2 visa and does not lead to a GC as clearly stated..
You would need help.. yes!!
Originally Posted by Marie723
Lets say he did get "engaged" how easy is it to get 1 at that point? and what if the marriage never took place..or , what if it was a real long engagment? Thanks again for your responses!
No marriage!! no GC..
Ray is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:06 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80
Marie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really nice
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by ray6
If he and his parents are uk citizens by birth ...NO

Number 5 is an E-2 visa and does not lead to a GC as clearly stated..
You would need help.. yes!!

No marriage!! no GC..
Ok , somehow I figured as much. So basicly his options is to get married or do 5, if his business works out, can't at some point he apply for resident or citizenship?
If he was to marry, how long do you think it would take for him to be allowed here?
Marie723 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:20 am
  #7  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
Ok , somehow I figured as much. So basicly his options is to get married or do 5, if his business works out, can't at some point he apply for resident or citizenship?
If he was to marry, how long do you think it would take for him to be allowed here?
I repeat with the E-2 he cannot get GC for resident or citizenship
With marriage either K-1 or K-3 visa 9 months to a year ..if he has no convictions/ still married to somebody else etc.. etc
Ray is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:23 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30,564
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
Ok , somehow I figured as much. So basicly his options is to get married or do 5, if his business works out, can't at some point he apply for resident or citizenship?
If he was to marry, how long do you think it would take for him to be allowed here?
That depends:

Have a look on www.visajourney.com
Boiler is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:26 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80
Marie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really nice
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by ray6
I repeat with the E-2 he cannot get GC for resident or citizenship
With marriage either K-1 or K-3 visa 9 months to a year ..if he has no convictions/ still married to somebody else etc.. etc
Thanks for your help!
Marie723 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:31 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30,564
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
Thanks for your help!
Could be quicker or longer

K3's seem to be taking over a year, K1 if through the East Coast could be relatively quick.
Boiler is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:42 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80
Marie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really nice
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Boiler
Could be quicker or longer

K3's seem to be taking over a year, K1 if through the East Coast could be relatively quick.
I dont know the difference between the k1 or K3 but will look into it.

Marriage isnt the route we wanted to go just yet. His inital plan was to start a business here in the US and come over that way. He currently has one already in the England. I guess I didn't realize he wouldn't be able to apply for a GC after he got here on whatever work visa he had to have.
Marie723 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:47 am
  #12  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
I dont know the difference between the k1 or K3 but will look into it.
Marriage isnt the route we wanted to go just yet. His inital plan was to start a business here in the US and come over that way. He currently has one already in the England. I guess I didn't realize he wouldn't be able to apply for a GC after he got here on whatever work visa he had to have.
Is one of you a US citizen ..and do you have leave to remain in the UK stamped in your passport..
Ray is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:52 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80
Marie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really niceMarie723 is just really nice
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by ray6
Is one of you a US citizen ..and do you have leave to remain in the UK stamped in your passport..

I am a US citizen, I don't know what his passport has in it? He has been over here several times each year. what does...."leave to remain in the UK" mean ?
Marie723 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:53 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30,564
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
I dont know the difference between the k1 or K3 but will look into it.

Marriage isnt the route we wanted to go just yet. His inital plan was to start a business here in the US and come over that way. He currently has one already in the England. I guess I didn't realize he wouldn't be able to apply for a GC after he got here on whatever work visa he had to have.
K1 = Fiancee

K3 = Spouse

Just bear in mind that the US is one of the hardest countries to get in.
Boiler is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:55 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30,564
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry wrong forum

Originally Posted by Marie723
I am a US citizen, I don't know what his passport has in it? He has been over here several times each year. what does...."leave to remain in the UK" mean ?
If you are both in UK and get married you can apply for Direct Consular Filing, currently quickest route.
Boiler is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.