Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sorry, another children and ITIN question

Sorry, another children and ITIN question

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorry, another children and ITIN question

I have looked at the other threads on this subject, and am more confused than before. I need ITINs for the children, and do not want to post passports anywhere. According to the IRS website, i need to go to my nearest IRS office that can do certified copies of passports, with the children. This is a 4 hr drive (each way) so i would rather not:
i) get it wrong
ii) take the kids if i can avoid it

The phone number for the office does not give out advice. Other threads on this site have shown it is possible to get certified copies without the children present, so i wonder if it comes down to the actual office, or (worse) the actual person you see when you get there. With this in mind, has anyone been to the IRS office in Charlotte, NC and been able to get certified copies of children's passports and therefore complete W7 appliction forms, without the children being present?

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:08 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, another children and ITIN question

I'd say this thread was the most current - it had a British consular official posting explaining that the policy had changed recently if you want to get it done at a consulate. The OP may have also now completed the process via the IRS too. Sorry I have no specific advice on the IRS process.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...7#post10655897

Last edited by Mr Weeze; Apr 23rd 2013 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Forgot the bloody link!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:20 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I'd say this thread was the most current - it had a British consular official posting explaining that the policy had changed recently if you want to get it done at a consulate. The OP may have also now completed the process via the IRS too. Sorry I have no specific advice on the IRS process.
We got ITINs for our children, but didn't need to go to any IRS office. We simply got notarized copies of their passports and gave them to the lawyers, who, I presume, then filed some papers.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IPM
We got ITINs for our children, but didn't need to go to any IRS office. We simply got notarized copies of their passports and gave them to the lawyers, who, I presume, then filed some papers.
IRS requirements changed last year.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 23rd 2013 at 9:30 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted an ITIN to obtain a TV package would you believe (I do not have a SSN)
I went to my bank, they made a certified copy of my passport, gave me a letter saying that I needed an ITIN for IRS reporting. I sent this to the IRS and received an ITIN a couple of weeks later. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for replies
Audio - interesting. I believe our bank provides a notary service, i will see if they can do a certified copy of the children's passport.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

When did you do this?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by audio
I went to my bank, they made a certified copy of my passport, gave me a letter saying that I needed an ITIN for IRS reporting. I sent this to the IRS and received an ITIN a couple of weeks later. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
When did you do this?

Regards, JEff
JEff, if that question was for me, as far as I remember October 2011.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It was - I quoted your post in mine.
JEff, if that question was for me, ...
In which case your information does not help. Unfortunately, it's out of date and what you did (I did the same several years ago) is no longer acceptable. See Michael's post #4 in this thread.
... as far as I remember October 2011.
Regards, JEff
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

It was - I quoted your post in mine.

In which case your information does not help. Unfortunately, it's out of date and what you did (I did the same several years ago) is no longer acceptable. See Michael's post #4 in this thread.

Regards, JEff
Jeff,
Post #4 does not elaborate on exactly what requirements have changed. I did not file my request via a lawyer. As I said, I sent a letter from my bank which stated I needed an ITIN for IRS reporting. Are you sure that requirement is out of date?
As you kindly stated my information does not help in your opinion but hopefully obtaining notarised copies of passports from the bank will.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I might be wrong, but i get the impression that the W7 application form needs a certified copy of the passport, or the passport itself. As i don't want to send the passport away, i need a certified copy. The IRS office will provide a certified copy, but i need the children present. If i can get a certified copy of the kid's passports elsewhere, i should be able to file the W7 with the certified copies at the IRS office. So at least i wouldn't have to have the kids in the car (and out of school) for 8 hrs
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:19 pm

True.
Post #4 does not elaborate on exactly what requirements have changed.
Not anymore! (Inspector Clouseau) The certified copy must come from the issuing agency.
hopefully obtaining notarised copies of passports from the bank will.
Regards, JEff
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

True.

Not anymore! (Inspector Clouseau) The certified copy must come from the issuing agency.

Regards, JEff
and this (Inspector Clouseau) signifies what?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:51 pm

The person I was quoting. I realize now that I forgot to include quote marks.

Wish I could spell it phonetically for full effect.

Regards, JEff

and this (Inspector Clouseau) signifies what?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The phonetic alphabet is simple to learn for most, it's a pity we cannot have this discussion face to face, I’m sure you could be educated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.