Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Son's change of heart on the US

Son's change of heart on the US

Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:54 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Son's change of heart on the US

My son, now 23, has just been here for 2 weeks from the UK. For the first time he intimated that he wished he could stay. I told him he should have thought of that before he was 18.

Without going into too much detail, what is the procedure of bringing him here and getting him a green card ? He has an Honours Degree in Computer Animation.

I am presently a resident alien, not a citizen.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:59 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son's change of heart on the US

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
My son, now 23, has just been here for 2 weeks from the UK. For the first time he intimated that he wished he could stay. I told him he should have thought of that before he was 18.

Without going into too much detail, what is the procedure of bringing him here and getting him a green card ? He has an Honours Degree in Computer Animation.

I just found this but anyone with experience in this please reply.........

A legal immigrant (or “lawful permanent resident�) is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. There is a three-step process for your child or son or daughter to become a legal immigrant.

You must obtain USCIS approval of an immigrant visa petition that you file for your child, son or daughter.
The State Department must then give your son or daughter an immigrant visa number, even if he or she is already in the United States. If you are a U.S. citizen and the child is both under 21 years of age and unmarried, a visa number is not required.
If your child or son or daughter is outside the United States, he or she will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa when one becomes available. If your child or son or daughter is legally in the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available (or if one is not required), he or she may apply to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident using the Form I-485.

UNQUOTE
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Now that he's over 21, until you get citizenship, it'll take years....less with citizenship.

He could get a student visa and try for a masters? missed the boat for an H1B this year...but anyway, try the visa forums, might have more ideas for you there
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/child.htm
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

I am no expert but if you become a citizen then it is not that hard but if your not then he has to go about it like everyone else......he is not a minor anymore
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:34 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Are you married to a US citizen? If you are, and you married before your son was 18, your spouse can petition for your son now, rather than having to wait until you become a citizen.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 4:37 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I came here in July 2003 on a K3 visa. My daughter was over 21 when we married and so couldn't get a K4 like her brother. I received my green card in June 2005. I applied for an I-130 for her with me as a permenent resident. I received the NOA about 5 weeks later. It's a long wait for us of quite a few years. When the appropriate time comes I will be applying for citizenship which will reduce the wait substantially. The good thing is that when I receive citizenship and inform the USCIS of this, my daughter will move up into the next family based category automatically. It's still hard to figure out the wait times as I'm sure you know the USCIS isn't exactly known for it's speen in these matters.

Like someone else mentioned what about an employment based visa? It might be quicker to get him here and have the I-130 pending also? Good luck and I hope you can find a quicker way for your son to get here.

Maggie

Old Sep 17th 2005, 5:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi

I came here in July 2003 on a K3 visa. My daughter was over 21 when we married and so couldn't get a K4 like her brother. I received my green card in June 2005. I applied for an I-130 for her with me as a permenent resident. I received the NOA about 5 weeks later. It's a long wait for us of quite a few years. When the appropriate time comes I will be applying for citizenship which will reduce the wait substantially. The good thing is that when I receive citizenship and inform the USCIS of this, my daughter will move up into the next family based category automatically. It's still hard to figure out the wait times as I'm sure you know the USCIS isn't exactly known for it's speen in these matters.

Like someone else mentioned what about an employment based visa? It might be quicker to get him here and have the I-130 pending also? Good luck and I hope you can find a quicker way for your son to get here.

Maggie

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_2631.html

I would guesstimate 2012.

But who knows.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 10:39 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Boiler

I used to check the bulletin regularly but I got so demoralised at the wait times that I stopped looking so often. We know it will take many years for her to get here so we don't dwell on it too often although sometimes it's hard not to. The time frame is what it is and can't be changed so my daughter is studying (as well as working) to give herself better opportunities when she eventually does get here.

Maggie

Originally Posted by Boiler
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_2631.html

I would guesstimate 2012.

But who knows.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dbark
Are you married to a US citizen? If you are, and you married before your son was 18, your spouse can petition for your son now, rather than having to wait until you become a citizen.
Yes, I am married to a USC and we were married before my son was 18 years old.

Can my wife really petition for him even thoiugh she is not his natural Mother and his natural Mother is still alive ?
Old Sep 17th 2005, 12:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am married to a USC and we were married before my son was 18 years old.

Can my wife really petition for him even thoiugh she is not his natural Mother and his natural Mother is still alive ?
Seems so
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv/immrel.html
Old Sep 17th 2005, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Seems to cover spouses, parents, step-parents and step-children under 21 but not step-children over 21.

Spouse of a U.S. citizen; parent or step-parent of a U.S citizen; child or stepchild under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen and spouse of a deceased U.S. citizen. Note: A step-parent or child will qualify for immigration only if the marriage creating the step parent/child relationship occurs before the child's eighteenth birthday.
UNQUOTE
Old Sep 17th 2005, 2:53 pm
Ray

Seems to say .. if the marriage was before he was 18 ..then its possible ..
an hour with an Aila lawyer may be worth while ..
Old Sep 18th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

What about the reverse situation? We are in the process of obtaining visas for myself and my two children (I am married to USC) and the younger one is starting to drag her heels a bit.
If she comes over with us and then goes back to UK for a while, how long is her green card valid? Can she rejoin us later? (She will be 14 when we - hopefully - move over).
Thanks........
Old Sep 18th 2005, 3:10 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by britnyank
What about the reverse situation? We are in the process of obtaining visas for myself and my two children (I am married to USC) and the younger one is starting to drag her heels a bit.
If she comes over with us and then goes back to UK for a while, how long is her green card valid? Can she rejoin us later? (She will be 14 when we - hopefully - move over).
Thanks........
Get a re-entry permit before she goes back.. good for up to 2 years
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-131.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.