Reload this Page >

Son's British Passport

Son's British Passport

Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Kentwoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Son's British Passport

Hiya

I hope you can help me. I want to obtain a british passport for my son. He was born in the USA. I am British and my husband is American. We were married in the USA before my son was born in 2001.
Do I have to:
Send in my son's USA passport to DC?
Send in my son's birth certificate to DC?
Send in my Birth certificate as I am British?
Send in our marriage certificate?

Please let me know as this is all so confusing. And I am trying to renew my passport at the same time can my son's and mine be put together?

I am confused
Thanks
Kent Woman!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son's British Passport

Originally Posted by Kentwoman
Hiya

I hope you can help me. I want to obtain a british passport for my son. He was born in the USA. I am British and my husband is American. We were married in the USA before my son was born in 2001.
Do I have to:

Please let me know as this is all so confusing. And I am trying to renew my passport at the same time can my son's and mine be put together?

I am confused
Thanks
Kent Woman!
Send a copy of his U.S. passport ID page.

Other than that, you do need to send the originals you mention. Use a secure method.

You also might want to consider consular birth registration as then he will be able to use his British-style birth certificate anytime in the future to get a replacement passport.
http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ

On the notes page it says no copies...so now I am really confused!!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ

On the notes page it says no copies...so now I am really confused!!
They really don't need his American passport at all - it proves nothing about his citizenship.

They do need originals of the other documents, so use a secure delivery method with pre-paid return envelope and keep careful copies (or get duplicates) in case they lose what you send them.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ
I got in contact with the Consulate and they need everything from me! All Originals!
Thanks again
Yomi
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ
I got in contact with the Consulate and they need everything from me! All Originals!
Thanks again
Yomi
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...77&postcount=6
Old Sep 21st 2008, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Capt Jack is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Son's British Passport

Hi Kent Woman,
I was wondering if you could help me out. I am in the beginning stages of trying to get a passport for my son also. I am British, my wife is American and we live in Florida. My son was born in the US in 2000.
Did you have any problems? Any tips? Which form did you use? What did you have to send in?
I want to get this done before my wife and I get divorced so that I don't have problems in the future. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Jack.

Hiya

Do I have to:

I am confused
Thanks
Kent Woman!
Old Sep 21st 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future

FYI - You will have to provide hospital information for the consulate if your child is older than 6 months, if they are younger than 6 months you do not need to.

Send all originals only, the Consulate will send them all back to you, along with your Consulate Birth Certificate.

This is not much help but for future readers it may help out, so usually easier to get baby registered as soon as possible from birth.

Jo
Old Sep 21st 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

coral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nice

I'm british and my husband is american. Both my children were born in The United States. I got them their British passports last year. I did send their American passports along with their Birth certificates, my birth certificate and I believe my marriage certificate to show my name change. You had to pay an extra amount for the return shipping which I think was overnighted and I had to sign for it when it arrived so it was secure. I think for the price of the return shipping which was 12 dollars or so you could include so many applications so I sent my renewal and their applications together. Just make sure you fill it all out and inital every page as mine was sent back because i didn't initial one page!
I do remember it taking quite a while at least 2 months i think!

Hope that helps
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jo,
what hospital info is required? I don't have a consulate birth cert. Do I need one?
Thanks in advance. Jack.

Originally Posted by Jo1973
FYI - You will have to provide hospital information for the consulate if your child is older than 6 months, if they are younger than 6 months you do not need to.

Send all originals only, the Consulate will send them all back to you, along with your Consulate Birth Certificate.

This is not much help but for future readers it may help out, so usually easier to get baby registered as soon as possible from birth.

Jo
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
thanks for the information. Did you use a C2?
Thanks again. Jack.

Originally Posted by coral11680
I'm british and my husband is american. Both my children were born in The United States. I got them their British passports last year. I did send their American passports along with their Birth certificates, my birth certificate and I believe my marriage certificate to show my name change. You had to pay an extra amount for the return shipping which I think was overnighted and I had to sign for it when it arrived so it was secure. I think for the price of the return shipping which was 12 dollars or so you could include so many applications so I sent my renewal and their applications together. Just make sure you fill it all out and inital every page as mine was sent back because i didn't initial one page!
I do remember it taking quite a while at least 2 months i think!

Hope that helps
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Jo1973
That is not quite correct. It depends on whether or not the birth certificate was issued within a specific time period of the birth.

In some cases, the hospital records will no longer exist.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

I have a copy of his birth certificate. Is that suffice?

Originally Posted by JAJ
That is not quite correct. It depends on whether or not the birth certificate was issued within a specific time period of the birth.

In some cases, the hospital records will no longer exist.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Capt Jack
I have a copy of his birth certificate. Is that suffice?
Normally yes. How long after his birth was the birth registered?

You should apply for a consular birth certificate from the Embassy as well as a British passport.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future

Thanks JAJ for correcting me,

You need to provide Hospital records if your child's birth certificate was issued after 3 months...

This is the application form for registering a birth for future parents. :-)

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/resources/...birth-reg-form

Here is the main site for "Registering a birth" on UKinUSA etc.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...on/notes-birth

Sorry for the prior misleading advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.