Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Son knocked over common mailbox

Son knocked over common mailbox

Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son knocked over common mailbox

Originally Posted by GeoffM
..... Maybe chip away at the 4th hole to get deep enough to set another bolt. But I can't imagine it would be solid.
If your son on his bike knocked it over, I would suggest that it wasn't "solid" before he knocked it over!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If your son on his bike knocked it over, I would suggest that it wasn't "solid" before he knocked it over!
Well no, it clearly wasn't. That's why I'm a bit miffed that my repair ultimately has to be better than what was there before, not to mention I can't reuse much of what was there before because it's blocking the fix!

One neighbour just came over with $20 "towards parts as it was already wobbly". That was nice of her.

I need something like this: https://shop.wagnercompanies.com/dat...g/250/8908.jpg

Last edited by GeoffM; Feb 4th 2018 at 8:45 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Me, I'd use one of these
Wickes Repair Support Spur for 75 x 75mm Fence Posts | Wickes.co.uk
And alright, that's from the UK, but I've seen them in Home Depot too.

The other trick that's very popular round here, where snowploughs and whacking great banks of snow and ice play hell with mail boxes is to sink a couple of lengths of rebar into the ground, leaving 10" sticking out, and strapping the box to the bars with big-ass zip ties. If it gets hit, the ties snap, the box falls over, and you pick it up and start again - so you keep a few in the garage.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Fixed it with an E-Z Base from HD and all good retailers. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...BB44/100655350

The hole pattern was vastly different from the existing bolts so I left them in situ (up against the new base so minimal trip hazard). 3"x½" concrete sleeve anchor bolts. Existing post/frame needs replacing but I'm not buying that for them. Total about $40-50, though some of that for tools and surplus bolts etc.

Never did find a hollow post sleeve so the post doesn't go into the ground. Fairly solid now anyway.

Cheers.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Fixed it with an E-Z Base from HD and all good retailers. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...BB44/100655350

The hole pattern was vastly different from the existing bolts so I left them in situ (up against the new base so minimal trip hazard). 3"x½" concrete sleeve anchor bolts. Existing post/frame needs replacing but I'm not buying that for them. Total about $40-50, though some of that for tools and surplus bolts etc.

Never did find a hollow post sleeve so the post doesn't go into the ground. Fairly solid now anyway. .....
It sounds like you did a more than adequate job to repair the damage caused by your son.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Well done.

I was in Temecula today - I always forget how big it is.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Well done.

I was in Temecula today - I always forget how big it is.
Yep, and still growing - which is not necessarily a great thing, as services (road/hospitals/schools) do not necessarily grow at the same rate. Murrieta and Temecula have a fairly seamless boundary which takes weird routes: a couple of streets away side by side neighbours live in different cities, and I know somebody else who claims to have the only Temecula address at the end of a cul-de-sac where everybody else has Murrieta addresses (not sure whether that is actually true, tbh).

Some good restaurants around here though. Shame the wineries are quite expensive.