Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Son knocked over common mailbox

Son knocked over common mailbox

Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Son knocked over common mailbox

Our son was riding his bike and knocked over a triple mailbox, none of them mine. I've notified 2 of the 3 neighbors who were quite amicable but I am expected to get it fixed of course. The problem is... how? The USPS website doesn't really say much except where it's damaged by vandalism/theft (it asks for a police report). The post is dry rotted which doesn't help matters so I'm a little concerned I'll be liable for a replacing the whole lot when it was likely to fall over itself before too long. They neighbors didn't know what the procedure for replacement was either.

Googling gives ideas on how to fix it - but with dire warnings about doing it an "approved" way! I'm not exactly a handyman, never poured concrete, no idea what type of wooden post it should be, etc.

Any ideas what I should do, who I should contact?
Attached Thumbnails Son knocked over common mailbox-20180203_171809.jpg  
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:00 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son knocked over common mailbox

Call your insurance company. Or the community insurance.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well looking at the photograph, it appears to have pulled out of the concrete, which is going to need to be repaired. What you do as towards the later stages of repair, as step 1 of any plan, I would get a 5 gallon bucket (an old paint bucket, or buy one for about $3 at Lowe's or Home Depot), and get some sand or gravel. Then remove the base of the post, place the base in the bucket, holding it vertically, then pour the sand or gravel into the bucket. Now you at least have an upright mailbox, and one than can work temporarily for a few days while the repaired concrete can be fixed by you, or whoever else gets involved.

If you're going to fix the concrete, you can buy sacks of premixed cement and aggregate at Lowe's and Home Depot, you just add water.

I can't tell what sort of anchors had held the post to the concrete. If the anchors need holes drilled, and you don't have a hammer drill, and access to a power supply within the length of an extension cord, or a generator, then you are already out of your depth.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 4th 2018 at 2:39 am.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:34 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

in our subdivision they had a builder replacing one the other day as they are stone or brisk pillars. whilst the one he was replacing was out of action - they had a temp one from the usps that was literally a stand alone one in a bucket full of concrete. It had the usps logo on it and everything. id ask the post office and see what they say.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would tell them to fix their defective box, otherwise looks like the base is bolted in, so 4 j bolts, knock out damaged concrete set j bolts and then bolt on stand.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
.... looks like the base is bolted in, so 4 j bolts, knock out damaged concrete set j bolts and then bolt on stand.
It's not currently on J bolts - whatever was used has snapped off or pulled out, which is why I think they're some sort of concrete anchors in drilled holes.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Easier putting in j bolts if the concrete needs to be replaced.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:16 pm

Easier putting in j bolts if the concrete needs to be replaced.
But not lining them up precisely with the holes in the mail box anchor plate, unlike a wall sole plate that you drill to line up with the J-bolts.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Cardboard template, otherwise you are drilling out the anchor hole, does he have a drill and gluing them in, glue is not cheap.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:30 pm

Cardboard template, otherwise you are drilling out the anchor hole, does he have a drill ....
Which is what I said yesterday in post #3, above. In any case I suspect that J-bolts would be too large to fit through the holes in the mailbox anchor plate.
.... and gluing them in, glue is not cheap.
I'd just use expanding concrete anchors.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get a bag of redi-crete or whatever and patch the hole but not put the post back on it. Go over a foot and drill holes with a hammer-drill and masonry bit then tap in lead anchors and bolt it down with lag bolts.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 4th 2018 at 3:47 pm. Reason: If I don't say what type of bolt there will be confusion.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:58 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like a real simple repair. Just remove the screws holding the white post to the base and install a new base, then screw the post in to the new base.

Use this and bolt to the concrete with anchor bolts:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Allure-A...1-BL/100668793

Or clean the hole and fill with sakcrete and place this in the hole while it sets up:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...PB44/100375183

or even drive one of these in to the hole (if there is dirt under the opening :
(use a scrap piece of lumber placed inside the mount and hammer that to drive the mount in to the dirt)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oz-Post-...0182/203215009

I presumed the post is 4x4, if not then buy the correct size of the item listed above

Last edited by thinbrit; Feb 4th 2018 at 4:02 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by thinbrit
That looks like a real simple repair. Just remove the screws holding the white post to the base and install a new base, then screw the post in to the new base.

Use this and bolt to the concrete with anchor bolts:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Allure-A...1-BL/100668793

Or clean the hole and fill with sakcrete and place this in the hole while it sets up:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...PB44/100375183

or even drive one of these in to the hole (if there is dirt under the opening :
(use a scrap piece of lumber placed inside the mount and hammer that to drive the mount in to the dirt)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oz-Post-...0182/203215009

I presumed the post is 4x4, if not then buy the correct size of the item listed above
Options #2 and #3 probably wouldn't be HOA compliant (if there is an HOA), and anyway I would be wary about driving #3 into the ground because there may be underground utilities!
Originally Posted by caretaker
I'd get a bag of redi-crete or whatever and patch the hole but not put the post back on it. Go over a foot and drill holes ......
I might do that too, if it was mine, but I am not sure I would relocate a neighbour's mailbox, not even by one foot, without their explicit agreement.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 4th 2018 at 4:09 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:11 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would be wary about driving #3 into the ground because there may be underground utilities!
Good point. If using option 3 Call 811 before you drive the anchor (it is free) Call811 |
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I think there were four bolts set into concrete pointing upwards so the baseplate (flanged tube kind of thing) was pulled down to the concrete by nuts. Looks like one bolt never existed, or at least hasn't for some time.

Supposedly the post should be 1-2ft into the hole. There is barely 1-2in of post into the hole. WRT utilities, apparently they should be way lower than 1-2ft.

I don't have all the tools mentioned here, or power unless I plug into one of the affected neighbour's house. Concrete excavation seems to be required. No HOA but one of my concerns was the "tampering with Federal property" warnings to do with mailboxes!

Still a bit miffed that I might be fixing way more than what my son actually broke!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.