Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Somewhere gorgeous near New York?

Wikiposts

Somewhere gorgeous near New York?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice
Default Re: Somewhere gorgeous near New York?

Originally Posted by Graxley
An excellent post. Someone who really knows what they are talking about.
Graxley, thanks for the props. Often we're on the receiving end of the good advice, so it's good to know we can add. Cheers.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

HappyinHK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LadyBelle

BTW, were you on AsiaXpat too?
No I wasn't on AsiaXpat, but with all the good advice I'm finding here I think I should have been

Actually, the move from London to Hong Kong all those years ago was much easier because I didn't have children. Also, to a Brit, Hong Kong just doesn't seem that foreign. New York on the other hand feels like another planet.

Are you in sales? You're doing a great job of selling NY to me!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Originally Posted by HappyinHK
No I wasn't on AsiaXpat, but with all the good advice I'm finding here I think I should have been

Actually, the move from London to Hong Kong all those years ago was much easier because I didn't have children. Also, to a Brit, Hong Kong just doesn't seem that foreign. New York on the other hand feels like another planet.

Are you in sales? You're doing a great job of selling NY to me!
LOL. That's funny. No, not sales really. But I do love NY and know it well. I also know what it's like to be an Expat and really appreciate accurate information...that goes above and behind generalizations and stereotypes, etc.. Local knowledge/insight has helped us significantly to make the most out of being here. And same goes for HK too.

Funny, we must have overlapped in HK then. We moved from NY to HK to London. Before moving to London I might have thought the move to NY would be easy for you, but London has been one of the biggest assimilations we've made yet --- and I've been to many countries.

I must get outside now; it's actually sunny!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Worsel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
I'm pretty sure the school will be quick to tell you where to 'stick your kid', too. Expected donations are just that. You want to use their service, you better tip.
you couldn't be further from the truth. the school didn't tell us where to stick our child and were disappointed to lose him when we left.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:32 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Worsel
you couldn't be further from the truth. the school didn't tell us where to stick our child and were disappointed to lose him when we left.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:34 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:37 am
Diamond Geezer

Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:28 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you must have been really confused.

S/he is saying that they didn't give any additional donation, and that their kid wasn't any less welcome at the school. That's in contrast to your suggestion that anyone who doesn't give a tip is going to have their kid barred from the school.