Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Somewhere gorgeous near New York?

Wikiposts

Somewhere gorgeous near New York?

Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:40 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somewhere gorgeous near New York?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
the consular officials ... don't care if the employer has retained their passport
If that's even legal (which I doubt), it wouldn't be ethical to keep someone else's passport as a condition of employment. (I know it's a common practice in the Middle East).
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
That's hysterical about parents, kids and dog in therapy! I can quite believe it - one sees so many stressed out people in this neck of the woods.... (My immediate next-door neighbours are psychiatrists and the wife - whose clients include some celebrities in NYC - told me that I'm the most 'normal' person that she's ever met.....)

I was once seeing my mum off at JFK and her flight was delayed. I got talking to an African family; it turned out that they were diplomats and one of the family was moving out to China for a new posting. They had children in their party and it turned out that they were attending the United Nations school in NYC; oddly enough they didn't rate the school at all! They were thinking of sending the kids to an English-style boarding school as they themselves had an English education back in Africa and thought that the tuition and discipline was far superior to what their children were experiencing at UNIS.

"My immediate next-door neighbours are psychiatrists and the wife - whose clients include some celebrities in NYC - told me that I'm the most 'normal' person that she's ever met.....)"

Englishmum, of course your normal, your British.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. Funny thing about living in NYC, people told you with pride, they were in therapy. Complete strangers, "My 2 children 6 & 7 have their therapists. Its scary.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
"My immediate next-door neighbours are psychiatrists and the wife - whose clients include some celebrities in NYC - told me that I'm the most 'normal' person that she's ever met.....)"

Englishmum, of course your normal, your British.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. Funny thing about living in NYC, people told you with pride, they were in therapy. Complete strangers, "My 2 children 6 & 7 have their therapists. Its scary.
We have friends who live in NYC...they take their dog to a psychiatrist. They also have a dog sitter who stays with the dog when they go out.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have friends who live in NYC...they take their dog to a psychiatrist. They also have a dog sitter who stays with the dog when they go out.
Yep met them. Doggy, chiropractor. Can't make this stuff up.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:35 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a dog trainer of some sort..
Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:31 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Sounds like a dog trainer of some sort..
Disturbingly, it probably is a "psychiatrist".
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Disturbingly, it probably is a "psychiatrist".
Certainly is.
Frank R.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:28 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

What a great scam!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Worsel is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience all private schools anywhere nr NYC ie NJ and Conn or very expensive. Think $20K+ to $30K+ per year for a day school, plus uniform, athletic fees, school trips and they expect a hefty donation each year.
as a yorkshire lass i'm sure you would have no problem telling the school where to stick their 'expected donation'! you are quite correct, it is very expensive though.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Hi Happy. We are in the UK after moving from HK a couple of years ago AND we are from NY.

A few things to consider:
1. Schools in Westchester. The quality of the public schools vary by town, so you'll want to check into the public school system of the Westchester town you're considering. Perhaps your relo people can help with this.

2. If your husband or you will work near Grand Central Station, Westchester is better. If the office is downtown near Wall Street or Battery Park, anything along the PATH trains, including Hoboken and Jersey City (getting nicer and nicer), are better.

3. Many parts of Connecticut are good for Grand Central Station too. Some towns in Connecticut also have good public schools but you'll have to look them up.

4. Sailing. Towns like Larchmont, New Rochelle, Mamaroneck are along the water in Westchester. Connecticut has some nice town for this too.

5. Leave your amah in HK -- unless you are ready to continually increase her salary as her job performance declines. She'll likely take off on you...and if not, your relationship might very well become sour if, you're not as mentioned above, continually increasing her salary...and providing her with a car to drive and what not. We took our amah with us here, and that's the way it went! And we were good to her.
There are plenty of people to help you in the States; if you need advice, feel free to PM me. If you want a Filipina to help you, I have a good connection to share. But yes, au pairs are very popular and there are tons of good, qualified childcare people around you. And of course, you could find a cleaner as well. Like in England, you'll rarely find the same person to do both childcare and cleaning in the States.

Just to address some of the things that have been said......

Missing the HK vibe? Well I guess it depends what HK is like for you. I don't miss it at all! In fact the relocation to the UK was so refreshing. Yes, you can't pop to Thailand as often, but the clean air, being able to use the outside areas without the oppressive heat and pollution, etc.? Phenomenal! Westchester and Hoboken are very different places. Some places in New Jersey and Westchester aren't that different from one another. Brooklyn is yet another way to live. So it depends what you are interested in. But while Westchester is different than LKF and HK in general, it's a great place for families; I'd suggest not going too far north of the city -- or too far away from the trains to Grand Central Station...that way you can have fun in NYC too. By the way, Some parts of Riverdale are great for capitalizing on the best of both worlds too (i.e. suburb and city access).

Not everyone...in fact most of us from NY...thinks that the people going on about their therapists is normal...in fact, we think they're nuts. So if someone's bragging about it, don't think it's an all-around accepted thing, please!

Westchester has a lot of really lovely properties and the Stepford Wives comment isn't quite correct -- there are a lot of very wealthy people, but a lot of the wives are business execs too...smart, fun, etc.

Manhattan is very much NY but a different beast in that there are people there from all over the USA and all over the world. (Some parts of Brooklyn have become a bit like that over the past 8 or 9 years too.) My point: You will find all kinds of people there and not all will be representative of what people in all of NYC, NY or the States are like. In fact, in Manhattan in general, I have found time and time again that a lot of people go there to fulfill a dream...and sometimes even an identity, someone or something they 'want' or 'think' the should be. It seems this ends up translating into a lot of wackiness...people seem to be striving to impress, some lose themselves, etc.. Not to say some of the life-long Manhattanites are all sane but I think you'd find more craziness among the people who came to the NY area already expecting something different --- kind of expecting it to define them...even if just in the eyes of others. Make sense? I hope I expressed that well; my toddler is climbing on me.

Good luck! And again, if you could use further advice and want to PM, feel free; I'm happy to help.

Cheers!

Last edited by LadyBelle; Feb 25th 2008 at 7:31 am.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Graxley will become famous soon enoughGraxley will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Hi Happy. We are in the UK after moving from HK a couple of years ago AND we are from NY.

1. Schools in Westchester. The quality of the public schools vary by town, so you'll want to check into the public school system of the Westchester town you're considering. Perhaps your relo people can help with this.

2. If your husband or you will work near Grand Central Station, Westchester is better. If the office is downtown near Wall Street or Battery Park, anything along the PATH trains, including Hoboken and Jersey City (getting nicer and nicer), are better.

3. Many parts of Connecticut are good for Grand Central Station too. Some towns in Connecticut also have good public schools but you'll have to look them up.

4. Sailing. Towns like Larchmont, New Rochelle, Mamaroneck are along the water in Westchester. Connecticut has some nice town for this too.

5. Leave your amah in HK -- unless you are ready to continually increase her salary as her job performance declines. She'll likely take off on you...and if not, your relationship might very well become sour if, you're not as mentioned above, continually increasing her salary...and providing her with a car to drive and what not. We took our amah with us here, and that's the way it went! And we were good to her.
There are plenty of people to help you in the States; if you need advice, feel free to PM me. If you want a Filipina to help you, I have a good connection to share. But yes, au pairs are very popular and there are tons of good, qualified childcare people around you. And of course, you could find a cleaner as well. Like in England, you'll rarely find the same person to do both childcare and cleaning in the States.

Missing the HK vibe? Well I guess it depends what HK is like for you. I don't miss it at all! In fact the relocation to the UK was so refreshing. Yes, you can't pop to Thailand as often, but the clean air, being able to use the outside areas without the oppressive heat and pollution, etc.? Phenomenal! Westchester and Hoboken are very different places. Some places in New Jersey and Westchester aren't that different from one another. Brooklyn is yet another way to live. So it depends what you are interested in. But while Westchester is different than LKF and HK in general, it's a great place for families; I'd suggest not going too far north of the city -- or too far away from the trains to Grand Central Station...that way you can have fun in NYC too. By the way, Some parts of Riverdale are great for capitalizing on the best of both worlds too (i.e. suburb and city access).

Not everyone...in fact most of us from NY...thinks that the people going on about their therapists is normal...in fact, we think they're nuts. So if someone's bragging about it, don't think it's an all-around accepted thing, please!

Westchester has a lot of really lovely properties and the Stepford Wives comment isn't quite correct -- there are a lot of very wealthy people, but a lot of the wives are business execs too...smart, fun, etc.

Manhattan is very much NY but a different beast in that there are people there from all over the USA and all over the world. (Some parts of Brooklyn have become a bit like that over the past 8 or 9 years too.) My point: You will find all kinds of people there and not all will be representative of what people in all of NYC, NY or the States are like. In fact, in Manhattan in general, I have found time and time again that a lot of people go there to fulfill a dream...and sometimes even an identity, someone or something they 'want' or 'think' the should be. It seems this ends up translating into a lot of wackiness...people seem to be striving to impress, some lose themselves, etc.. Not to say some of the life-long Manhattanites are all sane but I think you'd find more craziness among the people who came to the NY area already expecting something different --- kind of expecting it to define them...even if just in the eyes of others. Make sense? I hope I expressed that well; my toddler is climbing on me.

Good luck! And again, if you could use further advice and want to PM, feel free; I'm happy to help.

Cheers!

An excellent post. Someone who really knows what they are talking about.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:20 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Worsel
as a yorkshire lass i'm sure you would have no problem telling the school where to stick their 'expected donation'! you are quite correct, it is very expensive though.
I'm pretty sure the school will be quick to tell you where to 'stick your kid', too. Expected donations are just that. You want to use their service, you better tip.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

HappyinHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Somewhere gorgeous near New York?

Originally Posted by LadyBelle

Cheers!
Hi Ladybelle,

Thank you SO much for your very considered, helpful and expert advice. I may well take up your offer to IM you when we start narrowing things down a little.

You've made the whole move seem a little more positive. I am, as my name suggests, happy in Hong Kong, but you're making NY sound pretty good too. Thank you for that.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

HappyinHK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
I'm pretty sure the school will be quick to tell you where to 'stick your kid', too. Expected donations are just that. You want to use their service, you better tip.
After paying $30K a year are we really expected to give a donation?! The tipping culture is going to drive me crazy. Why can't they just charge the correct amount?

(and I'm talking about waiters, hairdressers, bellboys etc. I guess I've lived in a no-tipping part of the world for too long...)
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Originally Posted by HappyinHK
Hi Ladybelle,

Thank you SO much for your very considered, helpful and expert advice. I may well take up your offer to IM you when we start narrowing things down a little.

You've made the whole move seem a little more positive. I am, as my name suggests, happy in Hong Kong, but you're making NY sound pretty good too. Thank you for that.
I'm very glad to hear that! NY has a lot to offer you and your family, and it's not all about city. You can take short (or long) drives to beautiful countryside, pick apples, swim in gorgeous lakes, etc.. You can also have great fun (and lots of party) in NYC and the surrounding areas. You can explore various neighborhoods in the city which are very interesting and exciting. Great food, people from around the world, and yes even some wonderful locals. The history obviously isn't as old as that of the UK, but you can find some wonderful people who have traveled to NY from far and wide ages ago who will have some pretty amazing stories. And of course, there is so much to see and do besides.

Anyway, you can set yourself up to enjoy all of it. Someone else gave you a great piece of advice: Expect differences, just like you did with your move to HK. I think you'll quite like it though!

Yes, definitely touch base (get in touch/pm ) if you need any advice. I'm happy to help; I've been an expat for years too and have been helped out with great advice from the 'aborigines' from all of my new homes.

Cheers!

BTW, were you on AsiaXpat too?

Last edited by LadyBelle; Feb 26th 2008 at 9:12 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.