Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Something I hate about the US.

Wikiposts

Something I hate about the US.

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something I hate about the US.

Originally Posted by englishinfl
It's the same here, so I agree.
What I'd really like the answer to,(come on someone) is why when people get pulled over for a minor traffic offence (yes, speaking from experience) does another police car that's driving by in the opposite direction feel the need to turn around and come and park behind the first one, so he can have a nose too and a 10 minute chat while "officer negative" is checking your licence out and deciding that the non-working number plate lightbulb isn't really worth writing a ticket over?
The amount of ordinary cars I see stopped by the police and not only one police car pulled up , but two of them, strikes me as ridiculous.
Something else that's insane? Letting the Tampa policemen (and all the others that it applies to) take their police cruisers home with them when their shift ends like they are their own personal cars, when they live 30 miles out of town. Why not make them drive to work using their own petrol and their own car, like other employees have to. Their petrol budget was increased again this year.
1 car shared would do the same as 3 cars on 8 hour shifts per 24 hours.
It's not only madness, it's an absolute flagrant waste of taxpayers money.
Police officer in most areas can be called out at any time

Any fleet managers will tell you that individual driven car last longer
and have less down time ..

Traffic stops pick up on 1000s of outstanding warrants every year
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Nope. When I lived in Virginia my neighbor was a DC cop and had a cruiser that he parked at home. He was well outside the jurisdiction but was allowed to drive it home. It could be that he was senior in his position as well that afforded him that luxury.
I live in WV and I see Loudoun County (VA) cruisers all the time here, parked outside houses.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:01 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
I live in WV and I see Loudoun County (VA) cruisers all the time here, parked outside houses.
Ridiculous, isn't it
How are they even using the excuse that they may be "called out"?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:03 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Police officer in most areas can be called out at any time

Any fleet managers will tell you that individual driven car last longer
and have less down time ..

Traffic stops pick up on 1000s of outstanding warrants every year
Oh I know what you're saying, and I've heard the points made before, but with respect, Ray, it doesn't really equate.
The Tampa police officers can live outside Tampa. They're allowed to take their cars into the next country and if they live in a county adjoining that, then they have to leave it at the next county line. So Tampa, being Hillsboro, how does the excuse of a possible call out work when they're living in North Polk or Pasco? See the most ridiculous thing about it is, that they can only take the cars as far as the next adjoining county line, and they have to park their cars there and use there own car and the cruiser sits at the countyline between say.. Pasco and hernando, and the officer could live in North hernando, which is possibly miles from where they live, and even further from where they work. A car sits there all the time toe police officer is off shift, no matter how long that is, and including his days off.

A fleet manager of a "private fleet" might say what you're suggesting, I agree. Logically, and realistically, tthat's because a car on a private business fleet couldn't be used for that business 24 hours a day like a police cruiser could, it would be used for 8-10 hours. Neither is a private fleet vehicle paid for by the taxpayer, with the accountability to the taxpayer.
A few spare cars to cover for the downtime of cars under repair would be a lot more cost efficient than a fleet of cruisers consisting of 3 times as many cars as it needs, especially when gas is so high in price and the taxpayers are footing the bill. Do the math yourself, and you'd see that.

So the traffic stops account for thousands of warrants each year... so what?
Isn't that what the police are supposed to do? It's not cost efficient or necessary to have 2 police cruisers at a stop involving one vehicle for a bulb that's out. Even when my 72 year old neighbour got stopped on 301 for not using a turn signal to turn (yes that's pathetic) she ended up with a second car there having a look and a chat to the other officer while she was being checked. See, I'm not talking about a traffic chase here involving a vehicle that has been reported stolen, I'm talking about random stops that take place everyday for everyday minor offences, and the insane stupidity of the extra police officers that seem to have to turn up on their way past because they see the flashing lights that stop and come and have a chat while the motorist is sitting in the car. getting even more perplexed and irate at the sillyness of it all.
Come on now police officers, it's really a case of "do the job you're supposed to be doing, and stop wasting public time", maybe that way the more eluding criminals would be caught sooner and the random stops would be dealt with a little bit quicker.

The heading was "Something I hate about the US" and that to me, is one of them.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:14 am
Banned

1.) Safety in numbers is the reason why there are two cops or more at a scene.
2.) They can report to a crime when needed in the proper vehicle without spending time reporting to headquarters and then getting in a police cruiser. Time is of the essence and the cost of gas is negligible when you consider it might be a life or death issue they may be reporting to. Plus the there is a benefit of having a cruiser vehicle parked in the neighborhood. It's a crime deterrent.
Nonsense. A copper taking the details and running a licence check on a 72 year old woman in the broad daylight in the middle of a gas station, does not need to be joined by his mate for a chat.

A copper that lives 60 miles away from his area of work, and has to leave his car 30 miles away on a county line is of no benefit whatsoever. If they're so overstaffed that everyone can have their own car, I seriously doubt that they need the guy that lives 2 hours away to run and help them out in any case.

We have a police cruiser and Sherrif cruiser that live down and regularly sit on our street, didn't seem to stop the burglary 4 houses down from one of them and six houses from the other, a few months ago.

It would be better to make people responsible for securing their own homes, and not take the lame excuse handed out to us by law enforcement officials that it makes neighbourhoods safer to have a police cruiser sitting in his driveway on his day off at the vast expense of the taxpayer.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:20 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Oh I know what you're saying, and I've heard the points made before, but with respect, Ray, it doesn't really equate.
The Tampa police officers can live outside Tampa. They're allowed to take their cars into the next country and if they live in a county adjoining that, then they have to leave it at the next county line. So Tampa, being Hillsboro, how does the excuse of a possible call out work when they're living in North Polk or Pasco? See the most ridiculous thing about it is, that they can only take the cars as far as the next adjoining county line, and they have to park their cars there and use there own car and the cruiser sits at the countyline between say.. Pasco and hernando, and the officer could live in North hernando, which is possibly miles from where they live, and even further from where they work. A car sits there all the time toe police officer is off shift, no matter how long that is, and including his days off.

A fleet manager of a "private fleet" might say what you're suggesting, I agree. Logically, and realistically, tthat's because a car on a private business fleet couldn't be used for that business 24 hours a day like a police cruiser could, it would be used for 8-10 hours. Neither is a private fleet vehicle paid for by the taxpayer, with the accountability to the taxpayer.
A few spare cars to cover for the downtime of cars under repair would be a lot more cost efficient than a fleet of cruisers consisting of 3 times as many cars as it needs, especially when gas is so high in price and the taxpayers are footing the bill. Do the math yourself, and you'd see that.

So the traffic stops account for thousands of warrants each year... so what?
Isn't that what the police are supposed to do? It's not cost efficient or necessary to have 2 police cruisers at a stop involving one vehicle for a bulb that's out. Even when my 72 year old neighbour got stopped on 301 for not using a turn signal to turn (yes that's pathetic) she ended up with a second car there having a look and a chat to the other officer while she was being checked. See, I'm not talking about a traffic chase here involving a vehicle that has been reported stolen, I'm talking about random stops that take place everyday for everyday minor offences, and the insane stupidity of the extra police officers that seem to have to turn up on their way past because they see the flashing lights that stop and come and have a chat while the motorist is sitting in the car. getting even more perplexed and irate at the sillyness of it all.
Come on now police officers, it's really a case of "do the job you're supposed to be doing, and stop wasting public time", maybe that way the more eluding criminals would be caught sooner and the random stops would be dealt with a little bit quicker.

The heading was "Something I hate about the US" and that to me, is one of them.
You must not hear about the stories of cops getting assaulted during routine traffic stops. It just makes sense to have more than one cop on the scene. You never know if the person you pull over is high on PCP. A person high on that has more than enough strength to take down an officer during an arrest. Also, what if the officer gets shot during a search. It's best to have at least two cops there as a deterrent. It's better to do it for ALL traffic stops than just a random sampling. You wouldn't wear your seat belt some of the time while driving. It just makes sense to me.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey my fellow Tampa Bay person englishinfl, why'd you hate the law so much?!

Do you get a ticket everytime you drive on the road or something

Or maybe this huge presence is deterring you from carrying out other more nefarious activities.....

Did you also know that sometimes when you see these cops sitting about in their cruisers, they are actually off duty....and providing security for roadworks etc to make up for getting a low wage.

I personally don't think the Police presence in the Tampa area is excessive.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan725
Hey my fellow Tampa Bay person englishinfl, why'd you hate the law so much?!

Do you get a ticket everytime you drive on the road or something

Or maybe this huge presence is deterring you from carrying out other more nefarious activities.....

Did you also know that sometimes when you see these cops sitting about in their cruisers, they are actually off duty....and providing security for roadworks etc to make up for getting a low wage.

I personally don't think the Police presence in the Tampa area is excessive.
LoL Hello Dan!

I don't hate them at all mate, got plenty of mates in the police at home, and one over here too, and get on well with our local guy down the road, but ...I just hate to see tax dollars wasted.

LoL Only been stopped once in 5 years here Dan for a numberplate light that was out, at 6 in the evening. They didn't ticket me for it, but I was amused at the necessity for another car to pull up behind after doing a u-turn when he saw the flashing lights in Publix car park after I'd been there 5 minutes. All he did was sit on the bonnet of his car and talk to his mate.

I know the poor buggers don't get paid much for what they do, and honestly I don't have a beef with them, but the Tampa officers and the car situation is pretty crazy. I know they do roadworks duty off hours, and I know they have to do all sorts of other stuff too, but pay them more if it's necessary, and stop giving them a company car.

Later, fellow tampanian!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:41 am
Banned

You must not hear about the stories of cops getting assaulted during routine traffic stops. It just makes sense to have more than one cop on the scene. You never know if the person you pull over is high on PCP. A person high on that has more than enough strength to take down an officer during an arrest. Also, what if the officer gets shot during a search. It's best to have at least two cops there as a deterrent. It's better to do it for ALL traffic stops than just a random sampling. You wouldn't wear your seat belt some of the time while driving. It just makes sense to me.

I think I said all I needed to on the subject. I won't get into an argument on it. You have your thoughts on the subject, and I have mine.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Two Tampa detectives Randy Bell and Ricky Childers were soft on Hank Earl Carr handcuffing him in the front.... it cost them their lives

Officer James Crooks FSP died later..he was alone ...

I don't care if six turn up if it avoids such loss

Although not the same as a traffic stop ..bad thing happen
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Two Tampa detectives Randy Bell and Ricky Childers were soft on Hank Earl Carr handcuffing him in the front.... it cost them their lives

Officer James Crooks FSP died later..he was alone ...

I don't care if six turn up if it avoids such loss

Although not the same as a traffic stop ..bad thing happen
I think for the Loudoun Co VA cops that live here in Jefferson Co WV it is a matter of money. Loudound has MUCH higher taxes, as does Virginia as a whole, than West Virginia. So on their crappy pay, they are better off living here and working there. Can't blame them for that.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I absolutely agree. And given the pretty meager salaries for rookie cops, I don't begrudge them at all.

I really can't get into this moaning about too many cops thing. While getting traffic tickets is always a pain, I'd rather have them around when I need them.

Look at the sorry state of affairs in the UK - and how the politically correct and government has pretty much cut a swathe through policing too the point where it appears to be becoming ineffective.
I think the problem is when they are being used as road work flaggers etc, waste of resources.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:55 pm
James (UK) and Laura (TX)

LJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm kind of thinking that our little town perhaps doesn't need to pay for quite as many police officers....
I found some other annoying labels
Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish." -- On a bottle of shampoo for dogs.

"For external use only!" -- On a curling iron.

"Warning: This product can burn eyes." -- On a curling iron.

"Do not use in shower." -- On a hair dryer.

"Do not use while sleeping." -- On a hair dryer.

"Do not use while sleeping or unconscious." -- On a hand-held massaging device.

"Do not place this product into any electronic equipment." -- On the case of a chocolate CD in a gift basket.

"Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking." -- On a toilet at a public sports facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

"Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover." -- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists.

"This product not intended for use as a dental drill." -- On an electric rotary tool.

"Caution: Do not spray in eyes." -- On a container of underarm deodorant.

"Do not drive with sunshield in place." -- On a cardboard sunshield that keeps the sun off the dashboard.

"Caution: This is not a safety protective device." -- On a plastic toy helmet used as a container for popcorn.

"Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks." -- On an "Aim-n-Flame" fireplace lighter.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:46 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

"For external use only!" -- On a curling iron.

"Warning: This product can burn eyes." -- On a curling iron.

Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:17 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think the problem is when they are being used as road work flaggers etc, waste of resources.
But most of the time when they are being used for those purposes, they are actually on their down time, and getting paid by the road work company. I know there's a Costco near me that has an entrance on quite a minor road, so they hire off-duty cops to direct traffic on busy days. No burden on the taxpayer, and there's one extra bod on call who would have been at home in his civvies should something go down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.