Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Something I hate about the US.

Wikiposts

Something I hate about the US.

Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Something I hate about the US.

Originally Posted by tonrob
What gets on my proverbials is the deployment of the local town police force for the most mundane of tasks, all presumably in the name of public safety. Eevery time there is so much as a truck at the side of the road (off the carriageway) with some guy up a ladder fixing a telegraph pole there's a police car in attendence throughout. The people who would crash into the truck would surely fail to notice the police car too and plough into that instead....?

My tax dollars hard at work being spent on doughnuts and overtime....:curse:
That's the idea... it's a nice giveaway to the police unions to require that any work done on a public road has to have a police officer present to supervise (and get paid overtime).
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:09 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Did you also see the recent cell phone ad where a woman is walking out on a ledge of a high building to reach her phone (which for some reason is out on the ledge) and writing appears on the screen telling people not to stand out on a ledge!?

and the one where the woman eats a $5 bill, and the warning says "dramatization, do not attempt" wtf!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:40 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
It is unfortunate that she burned herself badly but the lawsuit is still fivolous. How is coffee made? Water is boiled. Boiled water is hot (212 degrees). Most people do not want luke warm coffee or cold coffee if they drink it 5 minutes later.

Do you or anyone else you know wait until your coffee, soup, or other hot food is luke warm before you serve it to your family or friends? If you don't wait until it is luke warm, do you want to get sued by your friends?

If someone doesn't want hot coffee, it should be up to that person to use common sense and let the coffee cool for 5 minutes or more before handling the coffee or ask the server to keep the coffee behind the counter until it cools. Not everything should be someones elses fault.
True. My personal preference is for coffee to be made hot, but I wait and drink it lukewarm, but tastes differ. However, in this case, there was a policy at McDonald's not just to make it at near boiling point to serve it at that super-hot temperature because there's usually a lag-time between purchase and drinking. McD's was therefore selling a product at a temperature at which it could not be safely consumed, let alone accidentally spilled on your lap. When I buy a cup of coffee, I don't expect to be able to power a turbine with it, I expect to be able to drink it. The suit itself, IMO, was justified, the stupid warning thing not so much, as it solves nothing. All it says is that it could be hot, not that it's going to take skin off your legs through a pair of fairly rugged jeans.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
and the one where the woman eats a $5 bill, and the warning says "dramatization, do not attempt" wtf!!!
Why are all the $$-eating people in those ads Asian? I think they are the dumbest ads.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leviramsey
That's the idea... it's a nice giveaway to the police unions to require that any work done on a public road has to have a police officer present to supervise (and get paid overtime).
Minor tirade on this... I was on my way into work this morning, going through construction, when a policeman prompted a vehicle to cross traffic to turn up a road. The only problem being, the first car in that line of traffic was me, and he didn't do the slightest thing to signal to me that I should stop despite it being my right of way. The first I knew of this decision, was a bloody great truck swinging across my path and me locking up the brakes to avoid him.

Think I'd have had an interesting case if anything had happend

So, anyone driving through Tewksbury, MA, not only are the cops there overpaid to do very little... they almost cause accidents!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're in all-or-nothing mode. I'm sure McD argued contributory negligency.
You're absolutely right, they did, and they won that part of the case.

Usually with product liability 'foreseeable misuse of the product' is key for establishing responsibility. Putting a hot cup of coffee in between her legs while she opened the top and added cream/sugar is foreseeable. (She was not driving by the way.)

Not foreseeable would be one of my favorite cases. Involved a guy who glued cotton balls all over his body as part of a Halloween costume, then proceeded to catch on fire due to the cigarette he was smoking. That is not considered foreseeable misuse.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
True. My personal preference is for coffee to be made hot, but I wait and drink it lukewarm, but tastes differ. However, in this case, there was a policy at McDonald's not just to make it at near boiling point to serve it at that super-hot temperature because there's usually a lag-time between purchase and drinking. McD's was therefore selling a product at a temperature at which it could not be safely consumed, let alone accidentally spilled on your lap. When I buy a cup of coffee, I don't expect to be able to power a turbine with it, I expect to be able to drink it. The suit itself, IMO, was justified, the stupid warning thing not so much, as it solves nothing. All it says is that it could be hot, not that it's going to take skin off your legs through a pair of fairly rugged jeans.
I think you hit it dead on. It shouldn't be so hot that if you spill some while adding cream and sugar you end up in the hospital.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:22 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I think you hit it dead on. It shouldn't be so hot that if you spill some while adding cream and sugar you end up in the hospital.
it shouldnt be so hot that if you take a big mouthful as you leave the store that you could end up with serious burns inside your mouth.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake

Not foreseeable would be one of my favorite cases. Involved a guy who glued cotton balls all over his body as part of a Halloween costume, then proceeded to catch on fire due to the cigarette he was smoking. That is not considered foreseeable misuse.
That's ingenious though
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:44 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm kind of thinking that our little town perhaps doesn't need to pay for quite as many police officers....
It's the same here, so I agree.
What I'd really like the answer to,(come on someone) is why when people get pulled over for a minor traffic offence (yes, speaking from experience) does another police car that's driving by in the opposite direction feel the need to turn around and come and park behind the first one, so he can have a nose too and a 10 minute chat while "officer negative" is checking your licence out and deciding that the non-working number plate lightbulb isn't really worth writing a ticket over?
The amount of ordinary cars I see stopped by the police and not only one police car pulled up , but two of them, strikes me as ridiculous.
Something else that's insane? Letting the Tampa policemen (and all the others that it applies to) take their police cruisers home with them when their shift ends like they are their own personal cars, when they live 30 miles out of town. Why not make them drive to work using their own petrol and their own car, like other employees have to. Their petrol budget was increased again this year.
1 car shared would do the same as 3 cars on 8 hour shifts per 24 hours.
It's not only madness, it's an absolute flagrant waste of taxpayers money.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:47 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
It's the same here, so I agree.
What I'd really like the answer to,(come on someone) is why when people get pulled over for a minor traffic offence (yes, speaking from experience) does another police car that's driving by in the opposite direction feel the need to turn around and come and park behind the first one, so he can have a nose too and a 10 minute chat while "officer negative" is checking your licence out and deciding that the non-working number plate lightbulb isn't really worth writing a ticket over?
The amount of ordinary cars I see stopped by the police and not only one police car pulled up , but two of them, strikes me as ridiculous.
Something else that's insane? Letting the Tampa policemen (and all the others that it applies to) take their police cruisers home with them when their shift ends like they are their own personal cars, when they live 30 miles out of town. Why not make them drive to work using their own petrol and their own car, like other employees have to. Their petrol budget was increased again this year.
1 car shared would do the same as 3 cars on 8 hour shifts per 24 hours.
It's not only madness, it's an absolute flagrant waste of taxpayers money.
1.) Safety in numbers is the reason why there are two cops or more at a scene.
2.) They can report to a crime when needed in the proper vehicle without spending time reporting to headquarters and then getting in a police cruiser. Time is of the essence and the cost of gas is negligible when you consider it might be a life or death issue they may be reporting to. Plus the there is a benefit of having a cruiser vehicle parked in the neighborhood. It's a crime deterrent.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
2.) They can report to a crime when needed in the proper vehicle without spending time reporting to headquarters and then getting in a police cruiser. Time is of the essence and the cost of gas is negligible when you consider it might be a life or death issue they may be reporting to. Plus the there is a benefit of having a cruiser vehicle parked in the neighborhood. It's a crime deterrent.
Though don't some states, or counties require the cops that do that to at least live within city limits to reduce the piss take? I thought Philly was one of them at least.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
1.) Safety in numbers is the reason why there are two cops or more at a scene.
I absolutely agree. And given the pretty meager salaries for rookie cops, I don't begrudge them at all.

I really can't get into this moaning about too many cops thing. While getting traffic tickets is always a pain, I'd rather have them around when I need them.

Look at the sorry state of affairs in the UK - and how the politically correct and government has pretty much cut a swathe through policing too the point where it appears to be becoming ineffective.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I absolutely agree. And given the pretty meager salaries for rookie cops, I don't begrudge them at all.

I really can't get into this moaning about too many cops thing. While getting traffic tickets is always a pain, I'd rather have them around when I need them.

Look at the sorry state of affairs in the UK - and how the politically correct and government has pretty much cut a swathe through policing too the point where it appears to be becoming ineffective.
The Associated Tax Relief adverts. They all seem so proud that they racked up thousands of dollars of debt and then got off for pennies on the dollar.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:24 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Though don't some states, or counties require the cops that do that to at least live within city limits to reduce the piss take? I thought Philly was one of them at least.
Nope. When I lived in Virginia my neighbor was a DC cop and had a cruiser that he parked at home. He was well outside the jurisdiction but was allowed to drive it home. It could be that he was senior in his position as well that afforded him that luxury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.