Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Something I hate about the US.

Wikiposts

Something I hate about the US.

Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something I hate about the US.

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Regarding the MacDonald's case ... I used to think like you that it was a frivolous and entirely ridiculous lawsuit. When I took business law in grad school we were shown another take on the case, I believe it was an article published in the Wall Street Journal.

The woman who spilled the coffee on herself was burned so badly that she required hospitalization for treatment. (Not just a quick visit either.) She hadn't intended to sue, but was looking for MacDonald's to help with her medical bills. MacDonald's had previously had instances where others had been harmed. (And again, we're not talking something slight.) They sent a very condescending letter to the woman, and only after that did she take action. I believe she was only looking for help with her medical bills, and the court did find that she was also negligent for spilling the coffee in the first place.

I wish I could find the article, because after reading it my classmates and I all felt that she had indeed been wronged, and while perhaps she didn't deserve hundreds of thousands of dollars, she did deserve something.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:33 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Regarding the MacDonald's case ... I used to think like you that it was a frivolous and entirely ridiculous lawsuit. When I took business law in grad school we were shown another take on the case, I believe it was an article published in the Wall Street Journal.

The woman who spilled the coffee on herself was burned so badly that she required hospitalization for treatment. (Not just a quick visit either.) She hadn't intended to sue, but was looking for MacDonald's to help with her medical bills. MacDonald's had previously had instances where others had been harmed. (And again, we're not talking something slight.) They sent a very condescending letter to the woman, and only after that did she take action. I believe she was only looking for help with her medical bills, and the court did find that she was also negligent for spilling the coffee in the first place.

I wish I could find the article, because after reading it my classmates and I all felt that she had indeed been wronged, and while perhaps she didn't deserve hundreds of thousands of dollars, she did deserve something.
I studied it in law class too - it is as you say - not the case it is usually portrayed as in the press.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons for all the tort cases America is famous for is that there is very little else here to bring companies and the professions into line. Whereas most other countries rely primarily on government regulation to prevent the problems in the first place, here the major factor stopping the corporations from killing us all are the courts and large payouts.

So if we want tort reform, we need to replace it with a government-based regulatory body to regulate all those who are now regularly curtailed by tort verdicts instead.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:29 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I guess it ties in with my hatred of the modern culture of liability and litigiousness taking the place of common sense and personal responsibility.

I couldn't agree more.
Things like the advert where the woman is using one of those ball and chain things that knocks down buildings to knock her washing machine off a cliff....the disclaimer says "do not attempt" at the bottom. oh really? ya think? ffs
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:12 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
One of the reasons for all the tort cases America is famous for is that there is very little else here to bring companies and the professions into line. Whereas most other countries rely primarily on government regulation to prevent the problems in the first place, here the major factor stopping the corporations from killing us all are the courts and large payouts.

So if we want tort reform, we need to replace it with a government-based regulatory body to regulate all those who are now regularly curtailed by tort verdicts instead.
I like how political opportunists coin these happy phrases such as "tort reform" to describe programs that are really meant to attack the little guy.

These arguments for "tort reform" exclusively target lawyers who work on contingency, the types of lawyers who represent the middle class when they have been hurt. Unlike the corporations that harmed them, the average person who has been damaged can't afford to pay lawyers by the hour, and so must pay them on a contingency basis. These "reform" efforts seek to eliminate the ability of the average person to make a claim by eliminating any incentives for lawyers to take the risk of helping them, while doing nothing to "reform" the other side.

If you want real "tort reform", we would start by limiting the fees that corporations can pay their lawyers. If McDonald's wasn't allowed to pay a battery of attorneys hundreds of dollars per hour to prosecute frivolous trials such as the McLibel case, then they wouldn't file them because nobody would be motivated to work for peanuts to help them.

But as often the case, attacks on the middle class are disguised with crafty marketing, with the true motives always concealed. Just politics as usual, with the goal of redistributing more wealth up the ladder and keeping the average person down.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hot coffee....reminds me of the rockstar one, now that was frivalous....lawyers sued because potentially you could see naughty stuff in a GTA game, took a few years, got many millions, worked out you could get cost of game back, only if you had receipt and original copy of game in box to get the money back.

The daft thing, to see the naughty stuff, you had to have a chipped console, download dodgy software to hack your version of the game and play a dodgy version of the game not intended for retail, that wasn't retailed at those under age to play it in the first place.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:20 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake

Let me see if I understand you ...
What you're saying is that the problem is not that the woman put a flimsy cup of hot coffee between her legs. The problem is that McDonald's coffee was so hot that it made such a manuever more likely to cause injury and thus it's actually McDonald's fault the woman was burned as badly as she was.

Isn't that little like driving your car into a tree on purpose and then suing the manufacturer of the car because it didn't have airbags and you were injured worse than if you had been driving a competitor's car that had airbags?

Last edited by another bloody yank; Oct 19th 2008 at 11:23 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:36 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if you bought a gun in a shop they wouldnt sell it to you and let you walk out the door with it loaded and cocked in a plastic bag. They would make it safe to travel with. Thats all this case is about. serving coffee thats in travelling packaging at a temperature that wouldnt give you a THIRD DEGREE burn in 2 seconds if you spill it anywhere on yourself.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:46 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that pissed me off was that printed on the side of it in large type was a disclaimer stating: Warning! This mask is not intended to be used as a protective device!
My favourite example of this kind of thing was a beer bottle label I once saw which featured a sailing ship with ye olde seaman's charte as a background - elsewhere on the label it said in tiny letters "Warning: Label is not intended for use in marine navigation". My Mrs thought it was a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:03 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
My favourite example of this kind of thing was a beer bottle label I once saw which featured a sailing ship with ye olde seaman's charte as a background - elsewhere on the label it said in tiny letters "Warning: Label is not intended for use in marine navigation". My Mrs thought it was a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.
Me neither.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:28 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Let me see if I understand you ...
What you're saying is that the problem is not that the woman put a flimsy cup of hot coffee between her legs. The problem is that McDonald's coffee was so hot that it made such a manuever more likely to cause injury and thus it's actually McDonald's fault the woman was burned as badly as she was.
You're in all-or-nothing mode. I'm sure McD argued contributory negligence.

Isn't that little like driving your car into a tree on purpose and then suing the manufacturer of the car because it didn't have airbags and you were injured worse than if you had been driving a competitor's car that had airbags?
Nope -- why not put defective tires on the car, instead? Then you've got a negligence or product liability case.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:28 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither.
Me neither. Everyone knows that real sailors navigate with the aid of rum!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:33 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hot coffee case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Liebeck

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:02 am
Unmitigated Gall

You're in all-or-nothing mode. I'm sure McD argued contributory negligence.
Yep, I think that Naffy Fruitcake mentioned that.

Nope -- why not put defective tires on the car, instead? Then you've got a negligence or product liability case.
It was early, and rereading it, I don't even understand my own analogy so I'm going to beg quarter on that point.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Juswus
I couldn't agree more.
Things like the advert where the woman is using one of those ball and chain things that knocks down buildings to knock her washing machine off a cliff....the disclaimer says "do not attempt" at the bottom. oh really? ya think? ffs
Did you also see the recent cell phone ad where a woman is walking out on a ledge of a high building to reach her phone (which for some reason is out on the ledge) and writing appears on the screen telling people not to stand out on a ledge!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.