Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Someone must be able to help me please!!

Someone must be able to help me please!!

Old Apr 6th 2006, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

denise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Someone must be able to help me please!!

Hi everyone..I need help!
I'm from the UK and met a guy from the USA a year ago. I was over there at the end of last year on the visa waiver and stayed for just over 2 months and have just this week come back from 2 weeks with him. (nowhere near long enough!) Everythings great when we're together, but the distance is starting to get to cause a few problems. Neither one of us wants to rush into marriage just so i can get over there for longer than 3 months, so I need to know what my options are for going to stay with him for longer than the visa waiver allows. The only option i can see is the tourist visa which i believe is for 6 months to a year. Can anyone please advise me if theres other options Im missing, or if the tourist visa is my only option, can u give me any hints or tips as to how i can best help myself not to get refused the visa!
Thanks very much in advance!
Denise.
xxxxxxxx
Old Apr 6th 2006, 8:23 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone must be able to help me please!!

Originally Posted by denise
I'm from the UK and met a guy from the USA a year ago. I was over there at the end of last year on the visa waiver and stayed for just over 2 months and have just this week come back from 2 weeks with him. (nowhere near long enough!) Everythings great when we're together, but the distance is starting to get to cause a few problems. Neither one of us wants to rush into marriage just so i can get over there for longer than 3 months, so I need to know what my options are for going to stay with him for longer than the visa waiver allows. The only option i can see is the tourist visa which i believe is for 6 months to a year. Can anyone please advise me if theres other options Im missing, or if the tourist visa is my only option, can u give me any hints or tips as to how i can best help myself not to get refused the visa!
Denise.
xxxxxxxx
For a better responce you really need to post this in the Visa forum.

US Visas
Old Apr 6th 2006, 8:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

tourist visa which i believe is for 6 months to a year.
6 months tops.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

denise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
6 months tops.
Ah ok...I read on one website that sometimes you can get it for one year...but i couldnt go for longer than 6 months right now anyway, so thats what i would be applying for. Any idea how much money they consider to be "sufficient funds" to cover yourself for 6 months?
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:24 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok...I read on one website that sometimes you can get it for one year...but i couldnt go for longer than 6 months right now anyway, so thats what i would be applying for. Any idea how much money they consider to be "sufficient funds" to cover yourself for 6 months?
Is that an issue for a tourist visa ???
If so just get a friend, parent on friend in the US to sign an affidavit of support for you if you are skinto.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Denise.
xxxxxxxx
Go to grad school near him and study for a masters degree.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They can be for 1 year, but very rare...I only got six months and I had a stash of cash to last a year...besides the point, they generally don't stamp you for more than one year regardless of the cash you have because you not meant to have immigrant intent.

You'll struggle to get the B1/2 visa anyway because you are eligible for the VWP.

You considered studying out there and getting a student visa?
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They can be for 1 year, but very rare...I only got six months and I had a stash of cash to last a year...besides the point, they generally don't stamp you for more than one year regardless of the cash you have because you not meant to have immigrant intent.

You'll struggle to get the B1/2 visa anyway because you are eligible for the VWP.

You considered studying out there and getting a student visa?

The tourist visa can now be used for partners to accompany their partners who have working visas. I have a couple of friends with such visas - but they have to prove that they would be supported while in the US and links to that person as well as ties to the UK. This is an unusual use of the visa - there are various guidelines that say you have to be in the UK longer than the US - but you can get a 12 month I94. Basically these visas have a lot of uses but also a lot of conflicting guidelines which can be used by imigration to refuse entry. In actual fact though technically no visa guarantees you entry! No idea how this would work with a USC rather than accompanying a UK visa holder - probably not well! Good luck
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
The tourist visa can now be used for partners to accompany their partners who have working visas. I have a couple of friends with such visas - but they have to prove that they would be supported while in the US and links to that person as well as ties to the UK. This is an unusual use of the visa - there are various guidelines that say you have to be in the UK longer than the US - but you can get a 12 month I94. Basically these visas have a lot of uses but also a lot of conflicting guidelines which can be used by imigration to refuse entry. In actual fact though technically no visa guarantees you entry! No idea how this would work with a USC rather than accompanying a UK visa holder - probably not well! Good luck
Yeah, for partners of a person getting a visa to the US...bit different when partner is a USC though, and for that reason, even less likely to get it because of the potential to get married and have immigrant intent.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your ready to get married ... buy each other a web cam ..and have your sexual fantasies via that ..

The yearly B-2 is only available for cohabitating partners ..... He can visit you ..

Little chance of a B-2 ... too many visit on a Visa Waiver will get you sent back ... happy wanking ....
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Unless your ready to get married ... buy each other a web cam ..and have your sexual fantasies via that ..

The yearly B-2 is only available for cohabitating partners ..... He can visit you ..

Little chance of a B-2 ... too many visit on a Visa Waiver will get you sent back ... happy wanking ....
Is there any other kind?
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:16 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Is there any other kind?
I remember once when an image of Dawn French popped into my head - I weren't too happy about that I can assure you :scared:
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:29 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
... happy wanking ....
A happy town in China.

Last edited by User Name; Apr 6th 2006 at 11:34 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I remember once when an image of Dawn French popped into my head - I weren't too happy about that I can assure you :scared:
Well if you hadn't been thinking of Lenny Henry while you were throwing your thumb over Dawn french wouldn't have appeared. No one to blame but yourself.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
In that stupid vicar get-up with the inane grin on her face?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.