British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   someone help me (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/someone-help-me-248529/)

evoal2003 Aug 13th 2004 1:27 pm

someone help me

can anyone tell me the approximate time scale to be able to live and work in the US. i will be applying through the fiancee visa route or my girlfriend will be shortly. also any advice that anyone has. my girlfriend lives in puerto rico. we will both move to mainland US to live but as yet have no idea where, her work means she is better working with spanish speaking citizens<speech development> any ideas on this too. mine is with english speaking.

does anyone know if when i go i will have to retake my driving test?

i know this must sound like alot of questions but as we know love moves in mysterious ways.

ScousePete Aug 13th 2004 5:09 pm

Re: someone help me

Originally Posted by evoal2003
can anyone tell me the approximate time scale to be able to live and work in the US. i will be applying through the fiancee visa route or my girlfriend will be shortly. also any advice that anyone has. my girlfriend lives in puerto rico. we will both move to mainland US to live but as yet have no idea where, her work means she is better working with spanish speaking citizens<speech development> any ideas on this too. mine is with english speaking.

i know this must sound like alot of questions but as we know love moves in mysterious ways.

My K1 took about 9 months, that is from beginning of the application until arriving in the States, but YMMV. See http://www.visajourney.com for other people's experiences. I would also recommend the marriage-based forum right here on this website.

As for where to live - that's really up to you. Every big city has a Spanish speaking community. Try http://www.findyourspot.com answer a few questions and voila!

Re: driving test - it depends on the state that you move to. Do a search on this site. When I arrived in Wis I had to take the test again, but it really was a piece of cake :)

Good luck to you.

britchicknyc Aug 13th 2004 5:59 pm

In regard to the driving test here in New York State you are required to take a driving test. But mine was less than one mile and the theory tests asks questions such as:

If you have had a few drinks how should you get home?

a) Drink coffee
b) have a shower
c) Ask a friend who has not been drinking to drive you home
d) Drive yourself

I am not joking!!

As you can see - nothing to worry about :)

Bob Aug 13th 2004 6:26 pm

My K1 took 6 months, and the AOS, since end of March....it all takes' time, though I think the New England area helps as there's less immigration stuff going on there, though I could be wrong...
And driving test is all a state thing, with a clean drivers license, New Hampshire you would only have to pay for the license, but in Mass, have have to take the eye test and maybe the theory, out in Maine, have to take the lot....but I'm sticking with my international drivers license for now, which is good for a year, get it off the AA website, it's about £5...

evoal2003 Aug 14th 2004 9:16 am

Originally Posted by ScousePete
My K1 took about 9 months, that is from beginning of the application until arriving in the States, but YMMV. See http://www.visajourney.com for other people's experiences. I would also recommend the marriage-based forum right here on this website.

As for where to live - that's really up to you. Every big city has a Spanish speaking community. Try http://www.findyourspot.com answer a few questions and voila!

Re: driving test - it depends on the state that you move to. Do a search on this site. When I arrived in Wis I had to take the test again, but it really was a piece of cake :)

Good luck to you.

thanks to all that help with this crazy system, did you use a lawyer or not?

Bob Aug 14th 2004 2:39 pm

I would recommend using one, but myself, couldn't afford one, so did it myself, so it can be done, but very painful process, and more likely to get things sent back for really stupid reasons...

Pulaski Aug 15th 2004 3:29 am

If you can read English, follow instructions, and fill in forms (which you will have to do ad nauseum! :rolleyes: ), and don't have any problem factors (e.g.criminal record, history of visa problems with USA, etc) you don't need a lawyer.

ScousePete Aug 15th 2004 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you can read English, follow instructions, and fill in forms (which you will have to do ad nauseum! :rolleyes: ), and don't have any problem factors (e.g.criminal record, history of visa problems with USA, etc) you don't need a lawyer.

I agree. I never used a lawyer as it was not needed. If you are Ronnie Biggs though you may want one :)

sibsie Aug 15th 2004 7:27 am

My K1 took 39 days from beginning to end but I did get really lucky with it.

I didn't use a lawyer. I had two consults one said "send me $1k" without asking me any questions, the other one said save your money and do it yourself!

Bob Aug 15th 2004 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I can read, surprisingly....and I filled my EAD correctly, but it was sent back the first time because my address didn't match the one they had on file, even though I had filled in my forms correctly, and checked the copy of the other form, just someone had put it in the system wrong on one of them, the woman at the Portland office eventually sorted it out though, but it did delay things a bit.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 15th 2004 7:33 pm

Check www.visajourney.com for current time lines and have a look at their FAQ.

Wish I had found it when I first started process.

Pulaski Aug 18th 2004 2:06 am

Originally Posted by bobz
I can read, surprisingly....and I filled my EAD correctly, but it was sent back the first time because my address didn't match the one they had on file, even though I had filled in my forms correctly, and checked the copy of the other form, just someone had put it in the system wrong on one of them, the woman at the Portland office eventually sorted it out though, but it did delay things a bit.

..... But I don't think using a lawyer would have helped you there? :confused: .... except perhaps to further lighten the load in your wallet! :rolleyes: