British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is it somebody here who owns this private plate? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/somebody-here-who-owns-private-plate-204740/)

matt_in_philly Jan 23rd 2004 7:42 am

Is it somebody here who owns this private plate?

UK EXPAT

A silver(?) Jag passed me on Pennsylvania Turnpike the other night. And its plate was " UK EXPAT ". Interesting. I thought it may have been somebody here.

Jabba1 Jan 23rd 2004 10:04 am

Do you honestly think that anyone on these boards is THAT BLEEPING RICH?!!!!

doctor scrumpy Jan 23rd 2004 10:05 am

Was my chaffeur in Pa again then ?

Lion in Winter Jan 23rd 2004 12:22 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Was my chaffeur in Pa again then ?
Nope. I sent him indoors outdoors for some HP sauce.

Englishmum Jan 23rd 2004 1:38 pm

Ha ha.

I was walking back to my car in Walgreen's car park last night and spotted a Mini Cooper with a GB sticker on it.

I knocked on the window as there was a trendy-looking twenty-something sitting in the passenger seat and I asked if he was British.

He said "No. The dealer gave it to us when we bought the car".

:o

Lion in Winter Jan 23rd 2004 1:42 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
Ha ha.

I was walking back to my car in Walgreen's car park last night and spotted a Mini Cooper with a GB sticker on it.

I knocked on the window as there was a trendy-looking twenty-something sitting in the passenger seat and I asked if he was British.

He said "No. The dealer gave it to us when we bought the car".

:o

Since the new Mini Cooper is made by BMW anyway, perhaps the dealer should have given him a German sticker.

doctor scrumpy Jan 23rd 2004 2:00 pm

Only British made car these days is TVR in Blackpool. Amother fine industry screwed over by successive governments.

Manc Jan 23rd 2004 2:02 pm

Only British made car these days is TVR in Blackpool. Amother fine industry screwed over by successive governments.
How do you work that out then?
I'd say Rover's inability to make a profit and then expect the Government to bail them out is more apt.

effi Jan 23rd 2004 5:16 pm

Originally posted by Jabba1
Do you honestly think that anyone on these boards is THAT BLEEPING RICH?!!!!
You can lease one for less than $300 per month.

Lion in Winter Jan 23rd 2004 5:36 pm

Originally posted by effi
You can lease one for less than $300 per month.
Which is handy, because then, when it breaks down, which it will, you just give it back to the dealer. :)

veryfunny Jan 23rd 2004 5:41 pm

Very sad to agree with you on this one. I would love to see Britain build/create more British cars.

Yosser Jan 23rd 2004 5:48 pm

Re: Is it somebody here who owns this private plate?

Originally posted by matt_in_philly
UK EXPAT

A silver(?) Jag passed me on Pennsylvania Turnpike the other night. And its plate was " UK EXPAT ". Interesting. I thought it may have been somebody here.
Yah that was me, I took a left instead of a right in downtown Dallas and ened up in Pennsylvania.....what are the chances of that eh!

veryfunny Jan 23rd 2004 5:58 pm

limits to plate names?

Speaking of private plates, does anyone here know how to go about getting one? and are there any limits to what decent names you can have?

Lion in Winter Jan 23rd 2004 6:57 pm

Re: limits to plate names?

Originally posted by veryfunny
Speaking of private plates, does anyone here know how to go about getting one? and are there any limits to what decent names you can have?

You apply at the DMV, and pay extra. Obviously you cannot have something already chosen by someone else, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Puritans limited you in some other way as well.

GJB Jan 23rd 2004 6:59 pm

it very much depends on the state... in some states it is dirt cheap, in others it can be quite expensive... here in Kansas it is pretty cheap, hence a private tag adorns my Chevy Tahoe...

Best
GJB