Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some Useful information

Some Useful information

Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Some Useful information

Most of this is common sense, but some of the ideas are new:

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company:

The next time you order checks, omit your first name and have only your initials and last name put on them. If someone takes your check book they
will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number and
anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. Never have your SS#
printed on your checks (DUH!) you can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine, do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel.

Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad.

We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards, etc.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit
line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.

But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know
whom to call. Keep those where you can find them easily.

File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important: (I never even thought to do this).

Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an
application for credit was made over the Internet in my name.

The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done.

There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away
this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

The numbers are:
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Experianformerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
Social Security Administration(fraud line):1-800-269-0271
Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Useful information

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
The next time you order checks, omit your first name and have only your initials and last name put on them. If someone takes your check book they
will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your checks.
Wouldn't have thought of that...hmmm...worth karma for the info.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 4:17 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Good information, thanks Roger!! Noticed you're in southern Maryland, me too, whereabouts are you?
Old Dec 9th 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robskatie
Good information, thanks Roger!! Noticed you're in southern Maryland, me too, whereabouts are you?
Hi
Indian Head, about 20 miles south of DC straight down 210
(near La Plata)
I thought I was the only English person in southern Maryland !!

Last edited by rogerpenycate; Dec 9th 2004 at 4:34 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 4:40 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Indian Head, about 20 miles south of DC straight down 210
(near La Plata)
I thought I was the only English person in southern Maryland !!
No way!! We're in Waldorf!!! We're neighbours!!There are also 3 English ladies who work in the mall here, one in JC Penny (she's from Ipswich) one in Khols and one who works in the pizza place in the food court!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

No way!! We're in Waldorf!!! We're neighbours!!There are also 3 English ladies who work in the mall here, one in JC Penny (she's from Ipswich) one in Khols and one who works in the pizza place in the food court!
And my wife, although she's American !
She works in Haircuttery in the mall.
Which store you in.
Do you want to reply to my private email, I doubt if these other folks on here want to read about two neighbours )
Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:04 pm
Franklin

Yooooo ... any of them single? To hold and cherish an English rose in full bloom. ahhhhhh.

Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Yooooo ... any of them single? To hold and cherish an English rose in full bloom. ahhhhhh.
Another one who's close by.
You'll have to join the tea party for a glass of Tizer.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 7:37 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Roger! You're close enough that you come here and nick all the crumpets from my local Giant!

Speaking of which, they've only been replacing them with sodding English muffins ever since - idiots!!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Hey Roger! You're close enough that you come here and nick all the crumpets from my local Giant!

Speaking of which, they've only been replacing them with sodding English muffins ever since - idiots!!
Sorry about that, you'd think they'd keep them stocked up if somone is buying them. The did the same in Giant in Fredericksburg when I lived there and cleaned their shelves out.
Went into an Irish restaurant in Fredericksburg about a month back and they had 'bangers and mash on the menu. My daughter was working there and I managed to talk the owner into selling be a box of 5lbs for $20.
Yummie. They look so good in the freezer, I'm frightened to eat them. Perhaps on my 55th I'l have some (January)
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:10 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry about that, you'd think they'd keep them stocked up if somone is buying them....

...Perhaps on my 55th I'l have some (January)
Ha! LOL I guess that they figure that muffins and crumpets are one and the same - it wouldn't surprise me!

What date in January is your birthday? Me 'n' Hubs celebrate ours then too, mine on the 19th, his on the 22nd. It'll be the ripe 'old' age of 30 for me then! I don't feel that old!!!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha! LOL I guess that they figure that muffins and crumpets are one and the same - it wouldn't surprise me!

What date in January is your birthday? Me 'n' Hubs celebrate ours then too, mine on the 19th, his on the 22nd. It'll be the ripe 'old' age of 30 for me then! I don't feel that old!!!
Hi,
Just printed a recipe on crumpets, gonna give it a go (boring I know) but it's one of the only foods I really miss.
When we went to Florida in August I brought about 20 packets back. They're long gone in my stomach.

Last edited by rogerpenycate; Dec 10th 2004 at 6:34 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

What date in January is your birthday? Me 'n' Hubs celebrate ours then too, mine on the **th, his on the **nd. It'll be the ripe 'old' age of ** for me then! I don't feel that old!!!
This thread starts off with an interesting article on ID theft. Then people start posting their DOBs...

Call me paranoid, but it's not a good idea folks!

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/index.shtml

Last edited by fatbrit; Dec 10th 2004 at 6:51 pm. Reason: Numbers removed to prevent ID theft!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This thread starts off with an interesting article on ID theft. Then people start posting their DOBs...

Call me paranoid, but it's not a good idea folks!

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/index.shtml
Quite! Keep personal info. to yourselves or at least as PMs!

Thanks,

NC Penguin
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Quite! Keep personal info. to yourselves or at least as PMs!

Thanks,
NC Penguin
I take size 11 shoes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.