Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some Things I Like About Living in the US

Some Things I Like About Living in the US

Old Jun 10th 2005, 4:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Things I Like About Living in the US

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
3)The convenience of things - in London it was an hour anywhere and usually on the tube, buy a ticket, get squashed, get dirty and hot and tired, etc. Here you just hop in your car and go.
Yep, agree.

The only problem is, there is nowhere to go to.

Getting around London may be a hassle, but I never got bored, even though I lived there most of my life.

Elvira
Old Jun 10th 2005, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dant3
To be honest, I've never really felt that these forums criticise America. After spending 2 hours last night hunting around various shops for some Heinz-****in-Beans, only to be told by every lame-faced-tosser I came across that Heinz don't make ****in beans, I was ready to rant and rave about it all day. But that's not a criticism of life in America, I love my life here (and have gotten into trouble for saying so...whining gets!), it's just a criticism of not being able to find a tin of Heinz Baked Beans.

they sell em at world market I think there is one in Pasadena
Old Jun 10th 2005, 6:28 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Yep, agree.

The only problem is, there is nowhere to go to.

Getting around London may be a hassle, but I never got bored, even though I lived there most of my life.

Elvira
*sigh* You're right! Now I'm homesick!

Agree about the coffee. 99% of the coffee you get over here is vile, bitter, weak gnat's piss. Their instant coffee tastes like the dregs of someone's cup. Oh how I wish I'd bought back some good old Continental Roast Nescafe from Engalnd. I will definitely do that next time. The only coffee here worth drinking is Starbucks. It's actually strong. One of the women made a pot of coffee the other night (we work nights and need it) and I swear it was almost see through. She came bounding in in delight to tell me she'd made a whole pot of fresh coffee, but it was virtually undrinkable. Bleugh! It was so weak it was like dishwater, which is bad enough when it's tea, but when it's coffee....ick!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Heinz make beans sold in the us called 'heinz vegetarian beans' they are pretty close to the ones in the uk they have a green label. Also I have managed to find a nescafe instant coffee called 'nescafe clasico' its imported from mehico so the label is in spanish but I have even seen it at wal mart to me it tastes just like nescafe in the uk.

From what I remember the british heinz beans are grown in the us then shipped over there and they just add the sauce and can them so if you buy a british can here those beans have already 'bean' here once already.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

The people that work for me have a very positive attitude
My share option scheme
The weather
Owning a pool
Drive thru everythings
Decent Mexican food
Decent Pizza
The choice of off the shelf drugs
Customer Service in general
Smiling faces
No Litter
The space in general and especially at home
House prices - sorry but I live in LA which I know is pricey but I moved from the north of England and there is no way I would have got a house like this for the same money never mind in the south of England
Kids attitude to adults and their respect and pride in their School
Car prices
Working hours (with no travel !)
Asking for an extra plate and not feeling like a cheapskate
Price of clothes

oh and Jackie Johnson the KCAL9 Weather girl
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
The people that work for me have a very positive attitude
Drive thru everythings
Customer Service in general
Smiling faces
No Litter
Kids attitude to adults and their respect and pride in their School
Working hours (with no travel !)
Must be a whole new world on the west coast then ....working hours and attitudes suck over here, and drive through everything takes longer than just getting out the car, probably because so many people do it *lol*
And there's loads of litter around, especially by the side of the roads...but they do a pretty good job of trying to clear it up between seasons...
But as for the schools...right bunch of chav wannabe's, if only they had Argos...walmart I guess...but way more clique groupings and miserable crunts around...
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Must be a whole new world on the west coast then ....working hours and attitudes suck over here, and drive through everything takes longer than just getting out the car, probably because so many people do it *lol*
And there's loads of litter around, especially by the side of the roads...but they do a pretty good job of trying to clear it up between seasons...
But as for the schools...right bunch of chav wannabe's, if only they had Argos...walmart I guess...but way more clique groupings and miserable crunts around...
I wondered how long it would it would take before the "Something I Like About Living In the US" would morph into "Something I Hate About Living In The US". Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
oh no that's sooooooo embarrassing!! Is he the Brit then

my hubby is the opposite and wants to buys drinks...I'm cheap so the kids and I usually get water..it's free and I don't have to keep telling them to start eating and stop filling themselves with soda!
Nope, he's the American ... he only gets one drink for himself and the kids to share, but they all do use their own straw!

We always differ when it comes to tipping too ... he nearly had heart failure when I tipped two delivery guys $20.00!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:43 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Damn its actually hard to think of many. But i suppose i like:

1. Fewer gouger kids hanging around at all hours of the night. Although i suspect if i lived in a different neighborhood that would change as well.

2. Easier Gun Ownership. But that sucks in Mass as well so I dont even enjoy that anymore.

3.???

Thats all i have got. Mostly the stuff i like i got back in blighty as well so i dont really notice it being any better and in so many ways from money, to work, to tiny expensive apartment it seems lots worse to me.

Well i tried.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
I wondered how long it would it would take before the "Something I Like About Living In the US" would morph into "Something I Hate About Living In The US". Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner
Just saying how amusing and different it can be on opposite coasts...the nice weather must help
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:53 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just saying how amusing and different it can be on opposite coasts...the nice weather must help
not surprising really the U.S is huge!!!! took me a while to really appreciate how big this country is..it's not always United though
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:55 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Nope, he's the American ... he only gets one drink for himself and the kids to share, but they all do use their own straw!

We always differ when it comes to tipping too ... he nearly had heart failure when I tipped two delivery guys $20.00!

oh no!!! one drink and four straws please *lol* I'd die have you told him not to do this or doesn't it bother you?? Tell him the ice water is free
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Must admit that is nice that everywhere here is smoke free ... that's one thing that I really noticed when I went back to the UK, people smoking everywhere and fag butts littering all the pavements!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
I have picked up on how people tend to throw their rubbish on the ground back in England. I was in Canterbury town centre a couple of weeks ago and I just noticed how bad it was. I think it's worse now than when we moved here in '96. There's even a little duck pond for the kids, but some totally inconsiderate bastards had dumped their rubbish there.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
oh no!!! one drink and four straws please *lol* I'd die have you told him not to do this or doesn't it bother you?? Tell him the ice water is free
He always has the iced water too and has never had to ask for extra straws, he just helps himself! I felt a bit awkward when he first did it, now I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. I do agree with him about buying a large drink though ... why buy a large drink when you can buy a small one and just refill it? I guess that's just because I remember my father always telling me 'look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.