Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some questions about the USA

Some questions about the USA

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some questions about the USA

Just in case anyone needs to know, you can get many common generic meds at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. for $4 a month, or $10 for 3 month supply.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/...tomer_list.pdf
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

"You can continue to make voluntary NI contributions if you live outside the UK."

Buggers! Even though I still run a partnership in the UK, the NI people kept all my contributions back since I left in 2002, and just paid them all back to me because they said as I'm permanently resident outside of the UK, I can no longer make contributions! I've met the pension criteria over there, but my wife is still short, so we wanted to carry on contributing.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Just in case anyone needs to know, you can get many common generic meds at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. for $4 a month, or $10 for 3 month supply.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/...tomer_list.pdf
Wal-Mart was the place that quoted me $120 for the medication I mentioned, that was the cheapest I could find it. Albertson's quoted me $150. CVS $123, etc. I actually find Safeway is usually the least expensive. A lot of drugs don't have generic equivalents.

I remember once at Coutts I was sat there in secondary and a busload of people showed up who were going to Lethbridge to their prescriptions filled.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
"You can continue to make voluntary NI contributions if you live outside the UK."

Buggers! Even though I still run a partnership in the UK, the NI people kept all my contributions back since I left in 2002, and just paid them all back to me because they said as I'm permanently resident outside of the UK, I can no longer make contributions!
Class 2 contributions cost next to nothing, it's like £150 a year or something. Given that the basic pension is up around £7,000 pa now, that's a pretty good deal as 30 x 150 = 4,500