Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some help please? Moving to Boston, questions about electrical items and buying a car

Some help please? Moving to Boston, questions about electrical items and buying a car

Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

karewoodnutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some help please? Moving to Boston, questions about electrical items and buying a car

Hi

Firstly apologies if this information already exists on the forum, but I've not really been able to find definitive answers to my questions, which are two fold.

I have been offered the chance to relocate to Boston with my company, which the family and I are very happy about as I'm being made redundant in the UK. Having accepted the role we are now progressing ever closer to 'hopping across the pond' but two things aren't clear and I'm hoping someone here might be able to help?

1. Should I bring any or all of my electricals like TV's, game consoles, dvd players, hair straighteners (I have two daughters, so these are 'essential' items) etc...?

2. What is the best way of getting a reasonable car either before I leave or soon after I arrive using credit?

Any help, much appreciated!
Andy
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:52 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some help please?

Hi and welcome to BE, and congratulations on your upcoming move. I've never been to Boston but I hear it's a nice place.

Some places you will find useful here on BE is our Wiki. We've got a great page on electrical appliances here you may find useful: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F

Heres' also a useful link on US Driving licenses etc: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driving_licence

We leased a car to start (which we organized before we moved over) but others buy a second hand car when they get here. You might find it difficult to buy a car on finance though as you won't have any type of credit rating in the US. You might find the wiki page on how to build a credit rating useful here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fatbri...it_and_Finance
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

jleebeane is just really nicejleebeane is just really nicejleebeane is just really nicejleebeane is just really nicejleebeane is just really nicejleebeane is just really nicejleebeane is just really nicejleebeane is just really nice
Default Re: Some help please? Moving to Boston, questions about electrical items and buying a

Originally Posted by karewoodnutt
Hi

1. Should I bring any or all of my electricals like TV's, game consoles, dvd players, hair straighteners (I have two daughters, so these are 'essential' items) etc...?

Any help, much appreciated!
Andy
To address at least the "essential" part of your question, most hair straighteners I've seen are dual voltage, so they should work here with just a plug adapter. I got a very nifty one in the UK that has several outlet options for both "in" and "out". My husband and I use for it both for his UK laptop and PSP here in the US and my US hair straightener when we travel to the UK. I've seen such adapters for sale in electronics stores and airports on both sides of the Atlantic.

But as the linked to article says, small appliances like that are cheap and easy to find here, so I'd only bother if your girls truly feel they can't live without them for a few days. They'll be able to replace them very easily here.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Some help please? Moving to Boston, questions about electrical items and buying a

Hi Both

Thanks for the prompt responses. it is very much appreciated
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Electricals, sell them. Consoles will work, but you've got region hassles on getting new games and the online services are hit or miss.

Computers, handheld computers are fine. Can get a regionless DVD player for about $30, so bringing the DVD collection isn't a problem.

As for a car, if you've got a large deposit, it's easy and it's pretty easy to get a car loan anyway, just be a shite rate without history.

I wouldn't get a lease if you live or work in downtown Boston, it will get smacked up.

You'll get a better deal if you go to the burbs, there's a couple of decent Toyota dealers in Brighton and there's a decent Mazda/Toyota/Honda dealers out towards Wellesley and if you want higher end, there's a few decent Acura/Audi dealers in that area.

You can technically use a UK license for 12 months in MA, I think it is, but you'll want to get a local license within a couple of months, it'll make life easier and your insurance will be better for it....also you'll get a better rate if you live in a place with off street parking, even better rate if it's covered parking and the further away from the NH border you live.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
....also you'll get a better rate if you live in a place with off street parking, even better rate if it's covered parking and the further away from the NH border you live.
Don't think this is true - it depends on what city you live in, I have off street parking but my car insurance is $2800 a year and I live in Lynn just north of Boston - ok I also had a slight ding 5 to 6 years ago and it stays on your insurance for 7 years. Lynn and Revere have the highest car insurance in MA due to them both having a high rate of car thefts ect - we were looking this up a couple of years ago at work, so this may influence where you choose to live.

Brendan
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london66
Don't think this is true - it depends on what city you live in, I have off street parking but my car insurance is $2800 a year and I live in Lynn just north of Boston - ok I also had a slight ding 5 to 6 years ago and it stays on your insurance for 7 years. Lynn and Revere have the highest car insurance in MA due to them both having a high rate of car thefts ect - we were looking this up a couple of years ago at work, so this may influence where you choose to live.

Brendan
In MA, till a few years ago, when rates were set by the state, these things were what lowered your rate. They have stuck.

They don't make a massive savings granted, but if you lived on the NH town line, drove a BMW that didn't have a alarm/imobiliser, airbags, seatbelts, on street open parking and didn't combine the policy with any others....you'd have a lot higher policy than if you reversed all of that and lived on the RI/CT end of the state.

Sure what city you live in and theft rates affect the rate, that's the case anywhere. You get a better rate living in Natick than you do next door in Framingham...but there are still plenty of little things you can do to minimise the rate.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

As Bob said, you'll probably best off ditching the electricals and buying new.
As for the car loan, to start with nobody would offer anything, due to no US credit history, uk history didnt help. The only way I could get a loan in the end was through a credit union who dealt with the local dealer, but they would only do it on condition that I passed my MA driving test first. Allegedly that makes you less of a flight risk, not sure how, but oh well ! And it still cost a small fortune to organise and crappy rate. Insurance is ridiculously expensive, I started off with getting quotes of $3000 for 6 months. But managed to get that a lot lower by going to a local insurance agent in my town and explaining the situation, and showing driving history from the UK etc. Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by studentgwant
As Bob said, you'll probably best off ditching the electricals and buying new.
As for the car loan, to start with nobody would offer anything, due to no US credit history, uk history didnt help. The only way I could get a loan in the end was through a credit union who dealt with the local dealer, but they would only do it on condition that I passed my MA driving test first. Allegedly that makes you less of a flight risk, not sure how, but oh well ! And it still cost a small fortune to organise and crappy rate. Insurance is ridiculously expensive, I started off with getting quotes of $3000 for 6 months. But managed to get that a lot lower by going to a local insurance agent in my town and explaining the situation, and showing driving history from the UK etc. Good luck with the move.
Get AAA membership, can get a decentish rate on the loan through them, I think they use Rockland Credit Union in MA.

The reason insurance like to see a MA license, everything gets tied to it, car registration/title etc. You can still do a runner, but if you don't re-register your car for instance, your license automatically gets revoked, then the insurance can also be voided so the insurance are off the hook and if you get caught driving, you'll get a ticket for driving without registration, driving without a license, driving without insurance and whatever they pulled you over for in the first place.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Hey all

Great information, thank you! Thank you for the good wishes too...

Andy