Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Solved my UK television problems

Solved my UK television problems

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Beer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Solved my UK television problems

Since my wife has moved over here to the states I have been looking for ways to get something other then BBC America aka "Cash in the attic" channel, for her to watch. I have been waiting for the slingbox to come out in a PAL version so I could hook it up at her mums house, but even then we would have to watch late night stuff and would miss most of the good prime time vewing and such.
I have gotten a UKNova account and found that I could download some very good and very recent BBC shows and news...PERFECT!!!!
The only problem was that I needed to burn these files encoded to a VCD or DVD doing a conversion so that US DVD players could read them.
Depending on the source material this encoding is very time consuming and then there is a loss of quality, audio sync problems, etc etc etc.
I just recently bought a Toshiba HD841 upconverting DVD player. It is an older model that has been our for a while so it only cost me $55 shipped.
This is the exact same hardware as another Toshiba model that they sell in Europe (HD745 I think). Some clever individuals have modified the firmware of the european model to work with the US model. What this does is transforms the US model to the European model and allows you to have a PAL/NTSC region free player that plays divx!!!!!
What does this mean you ask? What this means is that I can download the shows and then burn them straight to CD in about 5 min. No messing around encoding the file so US players can read it. The DVD player up converts to HD (or just plays regular SD if you don't have HDTV) and the material looks far superior to when I was encoding to SVCD or DVD and in a fraction of the time. It is almost like having BBC with a DVR so you can watch what you want when you want a pause to go to the loo!
I finally got all this working yesterday and tonight we are catching a flight to Heathrow, so I won't get to play with it 'till next year but that is fine because we will have Skytv to watch in the mean time.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solved my UK television problems

Where did you get this Toshiba from?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beer:30
Since my wife has moved over here to the states I have been looking for ways to get something other then BBC America aka "Cash in the attic" channel, for her to watch. I have been waiting for the slingbox to come out in a PAL version so I could hook it up at her mums house, but even then we would have to watch late night stuff and would miss most of the good prime time vewing and such.
I have gotten a UKNova account and found that I could download some very good and very recent BBC shows and news...PERFECT!!!!
The only problem was that I needed to burn these files encoded to a VCD or DVD doing a conversion so that US DVD players could read them.
Depending on the source material this encoding is very time consuming and then there is a loss of quality, audio sync problems, etc etc etc.
I just recently bought a Toshiba HD841 upconverting DVD player. It is an older model that has been our for a while so it only cost me $55 shipped.
This is the exact same hardware as another Toshiba model that they sell in Europe (HD745 I think). Some clever individuals have modified the firmware of the european model to work with the US model. What this does is transforms the US model to the European model and allows you to have a PAL/NTSC region free player that plays divx!!!!!
What does this mean you ask? What this means is that I can download the shows and then burn them straight to CD in about 5 min. No messing around encoding the file so US players can read it. The DVD player up converts to HD (or just plays regular SD if you don't have HDTV) and the material looks far superior to when I was encoding to SVCD or DVD and in a fraction of the time. It is almost like having BBC with a DVR so you can watch what you want when you want a pause to go to the loo!
I finally got all this working yesterday and tonight we are catching a flight to Heathrow, so I won't get to play with it 'till next year but that is fine because we will have Skytv to watch in the mean time.
The Cyberhome 300s that have been talked about on this forum many times do the same thing - they play pretty much all formats and are multi format.

Enjoy the UK!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Beer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Where did you get this Toshiba from?

Just do a yahoo search for hd841, you will find plenty for sale at various places (amazon, overstock, etc).

The modified firmware and instructions can be found here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZoranDVD/

You download the 2 files and put them on a CD. You then put the cd in your player and it changes the firmware.

Once that is done and you start the player it is in PAL settings.
You need to select language (english) and then switch it back to NTSC.

After this the player is Region 2.
Fortunately the information for unlocking hd745 is posted on the Videohelp website and worked as expected. Upconversion is also available afterwards.
1. Turn on player with no disc in the tray. "No disk" appears on screen.
2. Press the "Repeat" key on the remote.
3. Press "57538" on the remote. A number should appear on screen, indicating your player's current region (e.g. "2").
4. Press the number for your required region (e.g. "1") or "9" for region-free/all-regions. The number will appear on screen, replacing the previous number (from step 3).
5. Press "Open/Close Tray" and leave the tray open for a few seconds.
6. Press "Power On/Off". The tray closes automatically and the player turns off. Next time you turn it on, it is region free (or whatever Region you selected in step 4).
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

I run an S-Vid cable from my PC to my TV - works a treat
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beer:30
Just do a yahoo search for hd841, you will find plenty for sale at various places (amazon, overstock, etc).

The modified firmware and instructions can be found here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZoranDVD/

You download the 2 files and put them on a CD. You then put the cd in your player and it changes the firmware.

Once that is done and you start the player it is in PAL settings.
You need to select language (english) and then switch it back to NTSC.

After this the player is Region 2.
Fortunately the information for unlocking hd745 is posted on the Videohelp website and worked as expected. Upconversion is also available afterwards.
1. Turn on player with no disc in the tray. "No disk" appears on screen.
2. Press the "Repeat" key on the remote.
3. Press "57538" on the remote. A number should appear on screen, indicating your player's current region (e.g. "2").
4. Press the number for your required region (e.g. "1") or "9" for region-free/all-regions. The number will appear on screen, replacing the previous number (from step 3).
5. Press "Open/Close Tray" and leave the tray open for a few seconds.
6. Press "Power On/Off". The tray closes automatically and the player turns off. Next time you turn it on, it is region free (or whatever Region you selected in step 4).

Thanks for the information!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by aznewsh
We thought about doing this as well.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I run Xbox Media Centre and watch stuff over the network direct to my xbox in high def with DD5.1.... love it.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:47 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Too lazy for that right now - just watch my uknova stuff on the 17" laptop
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:49 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I can never get on UK nova, when I try to register it just says Site not open to public - tried many times over months
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Too lazy for that right now - just watch my uknova stuff on the 17" laptop

Too lazy to plug in a cable? Oh dear
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
I can never get on UK nova, when I try to register it just says Site not open to public - tried many times over months
I think they are so full that they don't open their membership.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:01 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Too lazy to plug in a cable? Oh dear

Too lazy to go out and buy one, smartass
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Too lazy to go out and buy one, smartass
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:13 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Someone (sorry can't remember who) posted on here fairly recently that the best time to try and register is between 11pm and 4am Eastern time (that person is a moderator or some such on UKNova) - as soon as they said this I tried that night at 11:30pm eastern and got registered immediately, so I would recomment trying that yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.