British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   sofa beds in New York (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sofa-beds-new-york-300628/)

Alice in Wonderland May 3rd 2005 8:17 pm

sofa beds in New York

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap sofa bed in New York apart from Ikea?

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Englishmum May 3rd 2005 8:27 pm

Re: sofa beds in New York

If you don't mind secondhand you could check out:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/ (You might want to bookmark this v.useful site)

(the main US site is http://www.craigslist.com for most major metropolitan cities and towns)

Also I've seen the 'chain' of Jennifer Leather & Jennifer Convertibles in Manhatten...there's a few of them, you can check on google for your nearest branch.

Although *not* cheap, I love wandering around ABC Carpet & Home just north of Union Square...the store with about 4 floors of unusual ethnic and some modern furniture and accessories. I also like getting china from Fishs Eddy across the street....then into the City Bakery for snacks... :)

Rete May 3rd 2005 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Alice in Wonderland
Hi,

Thanks

Does it have to be a sofa bed? Why not a futon or the European style futon that looks like an upholstered sofa?

I found nice sofa beds in a large variety of styles and prices (some quite inexpensive) at Jennifer's and have actually purchased one from them and enjoyed it for years. Can be had for $350 and upwards.

Or look in the classified section of your local paper. Someone is always selling their furniture at a fraction of the cost.

Ben May 3rd 2005 8:33 pm

You could try Sleepy's or 1800 mattress. Don't personally like Sleepy's service, but their prices are always good. Or look for adverts for Futons - you generally find them all over. Or are you looking for the non-futon type that look like a proper sofa and has a metal frame inside that you pull out once you take the cushions off? If so, you may have to go to a department or furniture (like Seaman's) store if you dont' want to go to Ikea. :)

Alice in Wonderland May 3rd 2005 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
You could try Sleepy's or 1800 mattress. Don't personally like Sleepy's service, but their prices are always good. Or look for adverts for Futons - you generally find them all over. Or are you looking for the non-futon type that look like a proper sofa and has a metal frame inside that you pull out once you take the cushions off? If so, you may have to go to a department or furniture (like Seaman's) store if you dont' want to go to Ikea. :)

Not looking for a sofa bed particularly - a futon would be good as well

Rete May 3rd 2005 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ben

I've bought from Sleepy's and the service sucks big time. I recently bought a futon from Rockaway Bedding. Excellent merchandise. Was delivered quickly and put together. Unfortunately put together incorrectly and the wood split. Went back and within 24 hours the entire futon was replaced with a brand new one. No hassle from them whatsoever.

woodsey May 3rd 2005 10:17 pm

Not sure if you want something a bit more contemporary, I know I'm looking for the same thing in California and its a nightmare, but if all else fails I shall get one from here, check their store locator they may have them on the East Coast as well.
www.roomandboard.com they do have some beauties..
The big Macys stores have nice contemporary furniture, not sure if they have sofa beds though, everything else I've found looks like something my granny would have..
Another one you have over there which I'd die for here is BoConcept, fabulous shop and quite reasonable.

Eskimo May 3rd 2005 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
Another one you have over there which I'd die for here is BoConcept, fabulous shop and quite reasonable.

.................that noise was my wallet breathing a sigh of relief :D

Celtic_Angel May 3rd 2005 10:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks

Oi you!! what's wrong with Ikea??! ..........snob! :p :D :D

Just bought my daughter a great day bed from there...no really! :D

woodsey May 3rd 2005 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
.................that noise was my wallet breathing a sigh of relief :D

They will deliver from the one in Arizona though..... :p

ImHere May 4th 2005 12:32 am

I like futons in my soup.

Ben May 4th 2005 12:38 am

Not looking for a sofa bed particularly - a futon would be good as well

Then any of the cheap places like Sleepy's and as mentioned by someone else, Rockaway. As the other person said, and I mentioned Sleepy's service is not good but their prices are excellent. If you have a way to get the futon home yourself, then it doesn't really matter where you get it from.

I would also ask the same quesiton as has been asked about IKEA. Why not? They deliver to Manhattan and will assemble if that is one of the issues. But their futons are a very good price and they are not difficult to put together either.

But you can basically find futons anywhere in this area. They are highly popular and really cheap.

Alice in Wonderland May 4th 2005 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Oi you!! what's wrong with Ikea??! ..........snob! :p :D :D

Just bought my daughter a great day bed from there...no really! :D

Nothing at all wrong with Ikea - I am going to go there as well - just wanted to get a few more ideas!!