British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sodding forms! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sodding-forms-760805/)

GeoffM Jun 6th 2012 5:13 am

Sodding forms!

Falling in the umpteenth form, I'm yet again faced by the prospect of hand writing a phrase in a gap designed to fit approximately 3 characters in 3pt font. In many such cases these forms have to be faxed. How on earth do people read them?!

And on a similar subject, why do I have to sign over and over again on the same piece of paper that I have read and understood each and every pair of words on the paper? Surely one signature at the bottom is enough!

Seriously, Mickey Mouse is going to have a lot to answer for with his signature on the less important forms.

I've nearly got the hang of writing my date of birth backwards, no forwards, no mixed up, whatever it is. Thank goodness I don't have to write the time just before midnight as 59:23 and 59 seconds.

:eek: Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

RICH Jun 6th 2012 5:50 am

Re: Sodding forms!

With you all the way. Smile/laugh/scream.:):rofl::eek:

penguinsix Jun 6th 2012 7:06 am

Signing or initializing each page makes it difficult for bad people to slide in additional pages between the cover and your signature--pages that you might not have seen.

Have you looked for clickable PDFs? Many of the forms you can fill in using your computer if they are set up properly as PDFs. Can make it quite a bit easier.

Garbatellamike Jun 6th 2012 7:19 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10102768)
Seriously, Mickey Mouse is going to have a lot to answer for with his signature on the less important forms.

And he has previous - when being booked for a foul by a referee a mate of mine when asked for his name replied mickey f*****g mouse. The Ref didn't blink and wrote it down. 2 weeks later our team were fined and docked points by the league for playing an unregistered player, one Michael Mouse esquire.

lot to answer for that mouse :)

Brat1 Jun 6th 2012 12:41 pm

I'm with you, and I still can't get the hang of the date thing, and I've been here over 2 years!! I still have to stop and think, bloody annoying :frown:

Bob Jun 6th 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 10103502)
I'm with you, and I still can't get the hang of the date thing, and I've been here over 2 years!! I still have to stop and think, bloody annoying :frown:

If just given a space without a date format, I write it long form...I still have to think it over other wise :D

It's a bit like I still look right before left when crossing the road, it's habit that is hard to break.

Brat1 Jun 6th 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10103587)
If just given a space without a date format, I write it long form...I still have to think it over other wise :D

It's a bit like I still look right before left when crossing the road, it's habit that is hard to break.

Sooo true!! :rofl:

Brit3964 Jun 6th 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 10103502)

Try after 16yrs. When I was in hospital in UK recently, they asked me for my DoB and I kept giving them the US month first variety. "Oh you keep thinking of the American way". That and getting the light switches on and off backwards.

ChocolateBabz Jun 6th 2012 3:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I know everyone has probably seen this but here goes anyway:

Sally Redux Jun 6th 2012 3:20 pm

You need an ant with a Rotring pen to fit stuff onto those forms.

GeoffM Jun 6th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 10102913)
Signing or initializing each page makes it difficult for bad people to slide in additional pages between the cover and your signature--pages that you might not have seen.

No, signing several times per page. Once per page I can handle.

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 10102913)
Have you looked for clickable PDFs? Many of the forms you can fill in using your computer if they are set up properly as PDFs. Can make it quite a bit easier.

The last non-online medical questionnaire I did fill in using PDF mark-up so it wasn't actually a form filling PDF but it could mean I could go back and correct things, save it til later - and email it rather than scanning or faxing.

GeoffM Jun 6th 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10103758)

I hadn't seen that until now - excellent! Odd that ddmmyy is called a "European" format as it's used far more widely than just Europe.

rpjs Jun 6th 2012 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10103758)

Speaking as a coder the "Japanese" format (which in fact is the ISO standard) is best as it is the easiest to sort.

Extreme Jun 6th 2012 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10103812)
No, signing several times per page. Once per page I can handle.

Lawsuits from the past. Courts have found that once per document/page wasn't enough to ensure that the signer understood what they signed.

GeoffM Jun 6th 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Extreme (Post 10103889)
Lawsuits from the past. Courts have found that once per document/page wasn't enough to ensure that the signer understood what they signed.

Signing more often isn't going to make me understand any more of what I'm signing for! Not getting at you here.