Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Worker---HELP!

Social Worker---HELP!

Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

HillLilly2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Worker---HELP!

Hi everyone! I posted this under the employment section, but was given the advice to post here to see if anyone else here can offer some guidance. I am absolutely at my wit's end! My husband (a freelance web designer and illustrator) and I began our journey to move to the UK for one year last September. It is now April and we are hoping to come over very shortly. This has absolutely, without a DOUBT been the most frustrating and difficult experience of my life! (Including going to graduate school full time while working overnights in a group home for adults with severe mental illness, going days without sleeping). This tops it ALL!

I am working with a recruitment team that has been helpful, but I have a pit in my stomach that all of the hard work and money I have spent on this is just going to fizzle out. I have my GSCC registration, we have our passports, we have a lot of stuff lined up. We are having difficulties with our visas. My recruitment team has gone back and forth with whether to have me do a Tier 1 visa (which I can do since I have a Master's Degree and can bring my hubby as my dependent) or a Tier 2. I initially liked the idea of having a job set in stone when I went over, as I would with a Tier 2, but am now being told that the wait time on that would be 8-12 weeks (we have someone moving into our house in 4....which my recruitment team has known about since January). Plus, I would be trying to find work as a Child and Families worker, and I am told that my "lack of experience" in child protection would prevent me from finding work. I worked for our local Child Abuse and Neglect Investigations team for one year, and worked with suicidal children as a therapist for two years. I know I'm still young, but whatever.

So, Tier 1 it is. We have had the money needed for 3 months, I am under 30, I have a Master's, I speak English. I have no UK experience and have not made a TON of money in the past year, because I AM A SOCIAL WORKER. It seems this may hang me up with the Tier 1 visa.

I am so unbelievably frustrated. First of all, if the UK is so desperate for social workers, why are they making it SO difficult for us to come over?
Second, if they want child protection workers from the USA for a Tier 2 with over 5 years experience-good luck finding any. The burnout rate for workers of that sort in Chicago is 6 months. You may find people that have that length of experience, but they are one of the few social workers here that are actually making a decent living. They aren't going anywhere. Also, our regulating child protection office in my state has been on a hiring freeze for a good chunk of the last 5 years. Lastly----why won't I qualify for a Tier 1?!?!? They want educated people who can support themselves. I had a Master's degree by age 24 and have lived on my own since I was 20. I'm not going over there to hop on welfare---I'm going over there to work as a social worker! This is a dream of mine that is quickly going in the toilet!

I don't know if I need motivation, advice, expertise, or what. I just needed to vent!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:39 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Social Worker---HELP!

why are you not applying for a spouse visa if your intention is to settle in the UK/
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
why are you not applying for a spouse visa if your intention is to settle in the UK/
Is the original poster's spouse from the UK?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I am just lurking over from the NZ forum and saw your post. I am a NZ qualified social worker, living and working in London as a social worker.

I take it that you are American??? I don't know the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 visa so can't offer you any advice regarding this.

If your husband is British (as someone alluded to in a previous post) then definitely apply for a spousal/marriage visa - this will allow you to work more freely within Britain.

You will have no problem getting a job, especially if you are going to do child protection! Are you planning to come to London, if so, your best bet is to work for a Local Authority. It will not take you long to get your head around the British system, legislation and processes. I am sure you know the ropes, but as with all countries the areas that have the plentiful jobs are usually the worst areas to work. Having said that, nothing like a baptism of fire to learn some new skills. You just need to have your wits about you in terms of where you end up. Don't let anyone undersell your qualifications, in my humble opinion most overseas qualifications are superior to the British qualifications. Yes, you don't yet have British experience but it's more important to have a good educational base, you can easily learn different processes/legislation.

Have you thought of applying directly to a Local Authority? I work for a London Local Authority and most of my colleagues are foreign. I came over here on a Working Holiday Visa (as I am a commonwealth citizen, you would be able to do this if you are Canadian) and after two years got a permanent job. The Local Authority made the application for my work permit, paid the fee etc etc. The process can be long winded and we tend to call most HR departments here the human remains dept as they are soooo useless.

Visa applications are lengthy, so your best bet may be to stay on the path you are on.

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/jobs/soci...reater-london/

Have look at the link. It's a pretty good site to search for jobs. Jobs are thinnning out, there is likely to be huge cuts in public spending soon also. But on the positive side we will never be out of a job!

Best of luck. If you have any other questions just ask or PM me. I will be away from the computer for a few days but check back in next week.

Dannigirl.