Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security in the USA

Social Security in the USA

Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sooyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security in the USA

I could be facing the prospect of my employment ending in the USA in the next week or so and I have been working in this country since 2012. In this case, does anyone know if I am entitled to claim back the social security I have been paying with my salary?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security in the USA

Generally speaking, and I think absolutely, no. .... There may be a certain visa type that allows you to opt out of SS, but even then I think you don't pay in, rather than claiming it back.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You can start claiming it back starting age 62 or later.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

I am definitely paying Social Security Tax from my salary every 2 weeks.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooyp
I am definitely paying Social Security Tax from my salary every 2 weeks.
Right, so AFAIK you can't get it back before you retire - exactly like NI in the UK.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, so AFAIK you can't get it back before you retire - exactly like NI in the UK.
Thank you!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

trirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nice

You can't claim back the taxes you've paid but you will be entitled to Social Security payments when you reach retirement age. Usually you need 40 quarters (10 years) of payments to be entitled to social security, but under the UK-US totalization agreement that is reduced to 6 quarters, which you easily have.

I have no idea how you go about claiming that when you reach 62/67/70 (whatever age you decide to collect at), but you certainly should be entitled to it.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And to be noted that when you do claim it and live for the next 20 years, you will be getting back far more than you put in.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by trirod
You can't claim back the taxes you've paid but you will be entitled to Social Security payments when you reach retirement age. Usually you need 40 quarters (10 years) of payments to be entitled to social security, but under the UK-US totalization agreement that is reduced to 6 quarters, which you easily have.

I have no idea how you go about claiming that when you reach 62/67/70 (whatever age you decide to collect at), but you certainly should be entitled to it.
I called the Social Security office yesterday, who informed me I would need to take my SSN to the local US Embassy and claim that way. Thanks!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
And to be noted that when you do claim it and live for the next 20 years, you will be getting back far more than you put in.
Interest?
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sooyp
Interest?
No, just the way they determine what payments you're entitled to, again just like NI in the UK, which is only partly connected to what you paid in, in terms of cash, and is mostly connected to "years" of contributions.

Note, when the time comes to claim you will (under current rules, at least), be subject to a process called the "Windfall Elimination Provision" (WEP), which reduces your SS payments if you have other pension income, because the SS "formula" is very generous to those with very low income and/or few years of contributions, but ONLY if they have no other retirement income.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

trirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nicetrirod is just really nice

Possibly not after adjusting for the WEP...
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly not after adjusting for the WEP...
If after WEP he clears $400 a month which is $4,800 per annum, then in 20 years he will have received $96,000. With only 6 years of contributions, is it safe to say he has not contributed that amount to the coffers?
Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

If after WEP he clears $400 a month which is $4,800 per annum, then in 20 years he will have received $96,000. With only 6 years of contributions, is it safe to say he has not contributed that amount to the coffers?
Running the numbers, it's not a bad return on investment (especially since it's guaranteed), but you have to take into account the time value of money also.

Let's say you earn $100,000 per annum for 6 years. The average monthly earnings for SS purposes is 600,000/420 = $1,429. Under the WEP you get 40% of the first $885 and 32% of the remaining balance, giving a $528 monthly benefit. Over 20 years that amounts to $126,700.

Over the 6 years of working, you would have paid in $74,400 (6 x $100,000 x .124 - including the "employer" contribution, which ultimately comes from the employee's wages anyway). If you worked from the age of 41 to 47 then you have to wait 20 years to start drawing on the social security. If you could invest that $74,400 at 6%, that would give you $238,610 at age 67 - compared with $126,700 from social security. So not necessarily a slam dunk.

Of course you can change the assumptions above to come up with any answer you want!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:37 pm

Running the numbers, it's not a bad return on investment (especially since it's guaranteed), but you have to take into account the time value of money also.

Let's say you earn $100,000 per annum for 6 years. The average monthly earnings for SS purposes is 600,000/420 = $1,429. Under the WEP you get 40% of the first $885 and 32% of the remaining balance, giving a $528 monthly benefit. Over 20 years that amounts to $126,700.

Over the 6 years of working, you would have paid in $74,400 (6 x $100,000 x .124 - including the "employer" contribution, which ultimately comes from the employee's wages anyway). If you worked from the age of 41 to 47 then you have to wait 20 years to start drawing on the social security. If you could invest that $74,400 at 6%, that would give you $238,610 at age 67 - compared with $126,700 from social security. So not necessarily a slam dunk.

Of course you can change the assumptions above to come up with any answer you want!
Very interesting, but given that SS contributions are mandatory, the comparisons are ultimately irrelevant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.