Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security ups and downs

Social Security ups and downs

Old Jun 12th 2006, 11:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security ups and downs

Hi All.

Since I discovered it was permissible for me (the USC) to go to social security and apply for a new card (to remove the work-authorization legend) for my PR status husband, I did that today. Waited for 2 hours for my turn, and although it got done, I wasn't 100% satisfied.

I made the Number One mistake of handing over Sadegh's original SS card (we do have a photocopy at home, of course). I did that, thinking since I'm doing this on his behalf, better to supply them with all the evidence necessary. I turned over his old SS card, his original green card, his passport, and a completed SS-5 form.

At first, the rep, Barry, said I couldn't even do this for Sadegh, that he needed to do it himself in person. I told him, no, he's mistaken, I CAN do this...and he said OK. He looked over all the documents, and wanted to see Sadegh's State ID showing his photo and signature. Evidently the SS-5 form and the SS card have signatures but no photos....and the green card and passport have photos but no signature! Argh! So I said, I thought all you had to do was match the name, DOB, and status with what's in your system, and see his green card? He said Ohhhh you're making this tough on me today! I remained silent while he punched in the information in the computer.

Then he goes OK, you're all set. He hands me back the green card and passport. I asked for the original SS card back, and he said no, he is required to destroy it (I guess I was under the impression that if I ASKED for it back, he had to return it....but maybe I was wrong?). So, I asked if he could double check on that somehow, and he said no. I asked if I could speak with a supervisor to verify that, and he said no. I must have asked him 3 or 4 times if he could double check with someone, or let me speak to a supervisor, and he said NO each time.

He said, the reason being, that if Sadegh tried to use his old card, now that his status is changed in the system, he could go to jail. HUH? The card says valid with DHS work authorization. Isn't the green card a form of work authorization?? Couldn't he use that SS card with the legend, and if an employer has doubts, he can show his GC?? Anyway, I was tired of arguing, so I just said fine, and left. Halfway home, I thought....at least I can get the receipt showing he applied for a new card.

So I turned around and just made it back in the door before closing time. The guard said I can just walk up to Barry's window and ask for the receipt...which I did. Guess what the answer was? NO. He can't give ME a receipt...only Sadegh, and he's not here. He can MAIL a receipt to him, but he can't hand me one today. I was soooooooooooo ticked off. He said he's not allowed to give me anything from SS showing Sadegh's status, he can only give that directly to HIM. So, I guess he is allowed to change important data in the system under my directive....but not hand me a piece of paper stating he did that?? Very strange, if you ask me. I have Sadegh's GC in my hands....I already KNOW his status!

Anyway....hopefully the new card comes in the predicted 2 weeks and I didn't create more hassle by trying to help him out here. Barry did say that they don't need to do a manual verification this time around, though...so hopefully the new card comes in the 2 week time.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 12th 2006 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 11:41 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security ups and downs

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi All.

Since I discovered it was permissible for me (the USC) to go to social security and apply for a new card (to remove the work-authorization legend) for my PR status husband, I did that today. Waited for 2 hours for my turn, and although it got done, I wasn't 100% satisfied.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
Rene
If it's any consolation, I did mine 2 months ago, I needed a SS card without conditions to get my NJ drivers license. They took my old card off me and the new one turned up in about 10 days.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 11:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
If it's any consolation, I did mine 2 months ago, I needed a SS card without conditions to get my NJ drivers license. They took my old card off me and the new one turned up in about 10 days.
Whew, thanks for that. Sadegh is in the midst of job-hunting, and I'd hate to see him lose a chance because he doesn't have a SS card or letter from SS to verify anything...due to my fault.

Thanks
Rene
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Whew, thanks for that. Sadegh is in the midst of job-hunting, and I'd hate to see him lose a chance because he doesn't have a SS card or letter from SS to verify anything...due to my fault.
Aye, took about 10 days myself and I had to give my old card in, didn't really need to do it, but we were going past the office and it was amazingly open, so figured what the hell, was there for around 40 mins or so, my luck that I got someone who was covering someone and had never done anything like it, and had to keep going to her super...oh well *lol*

And anyway, Sadegh has his SS number, that and greencard will be enough to get a job, he can always show the actual SS card at a later date if they want to see it, but they don't really need to see if as the greencard and number is enough.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:26 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

And anyway, Sadegh has his SS number, that and greencard will be enough to get a job, he can always show the actual SS card at a later date if they want to see it, but they don't really need to see if as the greencard and number is enough.
Good point, they never ask to see the card, just need the number, which stays the same.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

Same happened to me too! Good luck Rene and Sadegh!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 12:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

uh oh, "someone" is gonna blow a gasket!

1- never give up the old card. you 'left it at home'.
2-GC has a siggy on the back
3-Barry is NOT required to destroy the old card. But he might think so.
4-Barry is supposed to let you speak to a manager
5-Barry's reason was BS/you are right about the GC
6-I wouldn't believe Barry if he told me that it gets hot in Phoenix -or- anything he told me about receipts

LOL, fun with SSA!

I see a phone call in Barry's future... <g>
Old Jun 13th 2006, 1:43 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All.

I made the Number One mistake of handing over Sadegh's original SS card (we do have a photocopy at home, of course). I did that, thinking since I'm doing this on his behalf, better to supply them with all the evidence necessary. I turned over his old SS card, his original green card, his passport, and a completed SS-5 form.

At first, the rep, Barry, said I couldn't even do this for Sadegh, that he needed to do it himself in person. I told him, no, he's mistaken, I CAN do this...and he said OK. He looked over all the documents, and wanted to see Sadegh's State ID showing his photo and signature. Evidently the SS-5 form and the SS card have signatures but no photos....and the green card and passport have photos but no signature! Argh! So I said, I thought all you had to do was match the name, DOB, and status with what's in your system, and see his green card? He said Ohhhh you're making this tough on me today! I remained silent while he punched in the information in the computer.

Then he goes OK, you're all set. He hands me back the green card and passport. I asked for the original SS card back, and he said no, he is required to destroy it (I guess I was under the impression that if I ASKED for it back, he had to return it....but maybe I was wrong?). So, I asked if he could double check on that somehow, and he said no. I asked if I could speak with a supervisor to verify that, and he said no. I must have asked him 3 or 4 times if he could double check with someone, or let me speak to a supervisor, and he said NO each time.

He said, the reason being, that if Sadegh tried to use his old card, now that his status is changed in the system, he could go to jail. HUH? The card says valid with DHS work authorization. Isn't the green card a form of work authorization. He can MAIL a receipt to him, but he can't hand me one today. I was soooooooooooo ticked off. He said he's not Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
Rene

Dang! What an ordeal!
My social security card never had the legend on the back so I guess I will be good once I receive my green card!!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Dang! What an ordeal!
My social security card never had the legend on the back so I guess I will be good once I receive my green card!!
you wouldn't, because they print it on the front
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
uh oh, "someone" is gonna blow a gasket!

1- never give up the old card. you 'left it at home'.
2-GC has a siggy on the back
3-Barry is NOT required to destroy the old card. But he might think so.
4-Barry is supposed to let you speak to a manager
5-Barry's reason was BS/you are right about the GC
6-I wouldn't believe Barry if he told me that it gets hot in Phoenix -or- anything he told me about receipts

LOL, fun with SSA!

I see a phone call in Barry's future... <g>
LOL, I'm hoping mdyoung can work his magic by pointing me in those right directions that specifically say
1. Barry must return the SS card if I request it back.
2. Barry must let me speak to a higher-up
3. Barry must have given me a receipt, even though I did it on my spouse's behalf.

THEN someone is going to get an in-person visit with documents in hand!

I waffled between wanting to "leave the card at home" and wanting to present everything right away to get out of there faster. Looking back on it, how much you want to bet if I hadn't had the card with me, Barry would have said NO he can't process the request, and NO I still can't speak to a manager!!

Rene
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:54 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, all. Thought I'd ask a question. I still have my SS card with the "INS" (it's old!) legend on it. I've never had any problems either getting a job or a driver's license with that on there. Is it necessary to remove this legend, or do people just do it for their individual needs? BTW, I'm an LPR.

Kate. xxx
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:47 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Hi, all. Thought I'd ask a question. I still have my SS card with the "INS" (it's old!) legend on it. I've never had any problems either getting a job or a driver's license with that on there. Is it necessary to remove this legend, or do people just do it for their individual needs? BTW, I'm an LPR.

Kate. xxx
I'm interested in that too - why do I need to change it. It's interesting that gruffbrown indicates he needed it for an NJ license. I know the card is one of the many forms of ID that can be presented but it's only worth 1 point of the 6 points needed in the forms of ID chart, and is equivalent to a bank statement so I'd be interested to hear why it was needed. I've only ever had my NJ license under my L1 visa, but will be updating it soon so it can get extended when my green card arrives so would like to know whether this will affect me.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:54 pm
Voltes34

"neil" <member34761@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    |
    |
    | I'm interested in that too - why do I need to change it. It's
    | interesting that gruffbrown indicates he needed it for an NJ license. I
    | know the card is one of the many forms of ID that can be presented but
    | it's only worth 1 point of the 6 points needed in the forms of ID chart,
    | and is equivalent to a bank statement so I'd be interested to hear why
    | it was needed. I've only ever had my NJ license under my L1 visa, but
    | will be updating it soon so it can get extended when my green card
    | arrives so would like to know whether this will affect me.
    |

Where is this ID chart you are talking about?
I've never considered an SSN card to be an ID by itself nor do I know of any
institution that would accept an SSN card as a form of real ID.
It has no photo of the real owner (as of yet) and you can't positively
connect it to the bearer without asking for another form of real ID.

Old Jun 13th 2006, 6:21 pm
Mh

In article <[email protected]> ,
Noorah101 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi All.
    >Since I discovered it was permissible for me (the USC) to go to social
    >security and apply for a new card (to remove the work-authorization
    >legend) for my PR status husband, I did that today. Waited for 2 hours
    >for my turn, and although it got done, I wasn't 100% satisfied.

[cut]

Except for Barry being really obnoxious, and our person (I'll call her
Tanisha) being friendly, sounds right about the same. Mind you, I went in
person (with my wife there) to do it, rather than having my wife go by
herself.

-showed her GC and old SS card
-she took SS card
-typed away for ~10 minutes
-about 3-5 days later got a receipt in the mail saying "you've applied for a
new SS card"
-about 10-12 days later got new SS card in the mail.

MH
ps. just curious how Sadegh was able to carry his GC with him at all times
when you had it instead.. Some have implied it's a violation of federal law
to not have one's GC with one at all times.

Old Jun 13th 2006, 6:48 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voltes34

Where is this ID chart you are talking about?
I've never considered an SSN card to be an ID by itself nor do I know of any
institution that would accept an SSN card as a form of real ID.
It has no photo of the real owner (as of yet) and you can't positively
connect it to the bearer without asking for another form of real ID.
I didn't say it was taken as ID in it's own right - it is worth 1 point out of the 6 points total you need according to the NJ DMV website, (a passport with valid I94 or I551 stamp counts as 4 points for example, and you can only have a maximum of 2 that are worth 1 point): http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/nohover/bring.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.