British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Social Security Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/social-security-question-644624/)

Ginblossom Dec 13th 2009 2:14 pm

Social Security Question

Ok, we are having a dispute that someone can perhaps resolve.

I asked for a SSN when I applied for an immigrant visa, and am aware that the actual card will come in the mail at some point after said IV is activated.

However....my wife says that as I have asked for the SSN already, after I arrive in the US, I can go straightaway to the local SSN office and simply ask what my number is as it will be already preallocated. (i.e no need to reapply which I wouldn't do in any case)

I disagree, and say that the SSN will only be allocated after they have done their administration etc processing it after my arrival and that takes anywhere between 2 -6 weeks etc.

Whose right? ( please bear in mind I am only taking about getting hold of the number and not the card itself)

Ray Dec 13th 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Social Security Question

Originally Posted by Ginblossom (Post 8169089)

I asked for a SSN when I applied for an immigrant visa, and am aware that the actual card will come in the mail at some point after said IV is activated.

However....my wife says that as I have asked for the SSN already, after I arrive in the US, I can go straightaway to the local SSN office and simply ask what my number is as it will be already preallocated. (i.e no need to reapply which I wouldn't do in any case)

I disagree, and say that the SSN will only be allocated after they have done their administration etc processing it after my arrival and that takes anywhere between 2 -6 weeks etc.

Whose right? ( please bear in mind I am only taking about getting hold of the number and not the card itself)

Your right .....
give her a smacking for being lippy

meauxna Dec 13th 2009 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ginblossom (Post 8169089)

You're correct; the number is not assigned until you actually enter. Therefore, you must enter, and your request sent to SSA. Ideally this step eliminates the need for the new immigrant arrival to go to the SSA office.

Here's the SSA document describing their procedure.
Enumeration At Entry

"The handout (see RM 00202.315E.) that DOS provided to the person explains that if the SSN card is not received within three weeks after being admitted to the U.S., he/she should contact the Social Security Administration."

You may or may not have joy going into SSA about 10 days after arrival to see if the number is on file, but it's not instantaneous.

Ginblossom Dec 13th 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks.

Im curious, I cant get a CA drivers license without a social security number, but the law says I must apply for one within 10 days of becoming a resident.

Seems like catch 22.....

chuckles67 Dec 13th 2009 10:56 pm

Agree Ginblossom - there's no way to get a drivers licence within 10 days of landing: 1) I have had to wait to get the SSN, 2) the queue for getting a driving appointment and then a driving test is 30 days...

lansbury Dec 13th 2009 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ginblossom (Post 8169717)
Thanks.

Im curious, I cant get a CA drivers license without a social security number, but the law says I must apply for one within 10 days of becoming a resident.

Seems like catch 22.....

No catch your wife just has to drive you everywhere after the 10 days are up. :p

The requesting to be issued a SSN number on the visa forms isn't foolproof. Sometimes it doesn't get done so might be worth going in anyway after a couple of weeks.