Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security # Question

Social Security # Question

Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Social Security # Question

Originally Posted by Eskimo
My company applied for EAD for the 14 year old and the wife at the start of the GC process after we'd been here about 1 year - they only took about a month to arrive. The rules changed a few years back and you can apply for EAD as an L2 now on arrival I think, either way they have the EAD cards so assume its OK
Thanks Eskimo...EAD application is permitted for Spouse but not kids on L2 status. need to get the 15 and 16 year olds out to work as I am funding their social life right now. I did comment to my 16 year old daughter that I wish I could afford to go to Starbucks every evening with my friends!!....it went over her head!

I guess I'll go an see HR now about getting the GC apps in...then apply for EAD's for the little buggers.

Last edited by paul_TX; Jan 13th 2006 at 5:32 pm. Reason: revise text
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So you got it on your credit. If she had to go and get a contract on hers alone, she'd be stck with a deposit or PAYG.

I think you're correct - the land-line is in my name (no deposit) and they offered me the cell phone after about 6 months (it is in her name though) I guess they checked my credit although its not on my Equifax report as an enquiry
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

No true Amy - we file taxes here and use TTN numbers for the wife and kids no problem
Just to satisfy my curiosity.....

at what point in the process are dependents assigned a temporary tax number? I'd assume very early on?

How much is your cell phone bill each month?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Thanks Eskimo...EAD application is permitted for Spouse but not kids on L2 status. need to get the 15 and 16 year olds out to work as I .
but I have an EAD in my possesion for the 14 year old

agree on the bloody funding though - 10 trips to the sodding movies over Xmas :scared:
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:35 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Problably bloody expensive like ours - the kids have a line each... which means we have 5 lines on our share plan.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

at what point in the process are dependents assigned a temporary tax number? I'd assume very early on?

TTN was assigned just before we filed out first tax return - Deloitte and Touche look after this for us

and the worse bill was $290 :scared:
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

TTN was assigned just before we filed out first tax return - Deloitte and Touche look after this for us

and the worse bill was $290 :scared:
Man the bennies that come with being a higher-level corporate transfer......

$290 ain't too bad. My LD bills to the UK have exceeded that in the past (by a lot ).
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

No true Amy - we file taxes here and use TTN numbers for the wife and kids no problem
That's what I used to do too.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:17 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Is a TTN the same thing as a TIN?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:18 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Partystar
Is a TTN the same thing as a TIN?
I thought a TIN was a taxpayer identification number to do with businesses who pay taxes. Not to be confused with an EIN which is an employer ID number. Most businesses would have both.

Then again I am NOT an accountant.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:19 pm
Back where I belong!

I thought a TIN was a taxpayer identification number to do with businesses who pay taxes. Not to be confused with an EIN which is an employer ID number. Most businesses would have both.

Then again I am NOT an accountant.
All I know is that I have a TIN & now I have a SSN too. I'll obviously only be using the SSN from now on though.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:21 pm
Lapine Member

Could be that when you got yours, it was called a TIN and now is called a TTN....

Taxes....immigration....headache....
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Not true Alan you don't need a SS# to get a DL nor do you need a refusal letter - they just tell you that at the DMV my wife has a cell phone, DL etc with no SS# hence my original question -
Depends which RMV/DMV. There has been plenty of correspondence on this.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:24 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by AlanR
you know ..... if only I could stay with my trusty English, nice big folded up piece of paper dirver's license that doesn't expire until 2045 I';d be OK.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AlanR
Huh ? do DMVs have different rules ? I know they have different levels of idiots working in the places but surely you just need to prove you are legally in the US to apply for a driving license ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.