Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security # Question

Social Security # Question

Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security # Question

Heres us. We have been in LA 19 months. L1 transfer with big US corporation, wife and two kids (3 and 14). Company want me here a while (probably until I at least get my directorship - 3-5 years) and have filed a GC application for us which should be approved end of next month.
The wife and eldest have just received their EAD so the question is should they apply for Social Security Numbers? I'm not sure why this is important. The wife has no intention of working and the eldest is only 14. Is there any benefit ? do we need this for the GC interview? I have OK credit now (700+ after following the excellent advice on this site - but I dont really need it) but its just under my Social Security Number - does that matter ?

Any thoughts ?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:24 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security # Question

I would get them anyway. You need them for silly little things like getting a library card, so I would. It just makes things easier in the long run.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I would get them anyway. You need them for silly little things like getting a library card, so I would. It just makes things easier in the long run.
You can sometimes get around the requirement for things like a library card.

But if eldest is going to go to uni here, or community college, then she'll need an SSN. If she works at 16, she'll definitely need one.

Do you file US income taxes? The IRS requires an SSN for all dependents regardless of age or working status and if you don't have one, they ask why not.

Also, if your wife or eldest want to establish any credit history in the US then they'll need one.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Best to get the socials I would think. Remember reading the web site sometime ago of some crazy native-born activist who had pursued a loan through a bank without giving them a social security number. He got it eventually, but the road was certainly hard. Assuming you just want an easy life, it's sometimes easier to go with the flow. Having said that, I'm fussy who I give mine to. When the cheeky HOA recently asked for it, I just told 'em to eff off.

You'll also need the SSNs if you want to start investments for anybody in the family. The eldest's actually getting past the stage where you should have done some college finance planning for her -- but better late than never!

Wife should definitely get on the credit ladder. You can actually have a score without a SSN, but underwriters will not consider it kosher and you'll meet brick walls all the time.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Heres us. We have been in LA 19 months. L1 transfer with big US corporation, wife and two kids (3 and 14). Company want me here a while (probably until I at least get my directorship - 3-5 years) and have filed a GC application for us which should be approved end of next month.
The wife and eldest have just received their EAD so the question is should they apply for Social Security Numbers? I'm not sure why this is important. The wife has no intention of working and the eldest is only 14. Is there any benefit ? do we need this for the GC interview? I have OK credit now (700+ after following the excellent advice on this site - but I dont really need it) but its just under my Social Security Number - does that matter ?

Any thoughts ?
Most driving licenses (awful spelling!) require a SSN
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Heres us. We have been in LA 19 months. L1 transfer with big US corporation, wife and two kids (3 and 14). .....and have filed a GC application for us which should be approved end of next month.
The wife and eldest have just received their EAD so the question is should they apply for Social Security Numbers?
Hey Eskimo, I have a dumb question....
Can the wife and sproggs get an EAD and SSN# because you have started the Green Card app? I always understood that L2 holders cannot have SSN# and only the spouse can get EAD???

Sorry to be ignorant, but we'll be starting the whole GC thing in a couple of months so would be interested to know.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Can the wife and sproggs get an EAD and SSN# because you have started the Green Card app? I always understood that L2 holders cannot have SSN# and only the spouse can get EAD???

Sorry to be ignorant, but we'll be starting the whole GC thing in a couple of months so would be interested to know.

Certainly L1 spouses can't get a SSN but they can get a letter of refusal from the SS that can allow (application for) driving licenses and the like. Seems the answer to the original question is "Yes, get a SSN". It'll be needed or will oil the wheels in many areas from getting a cell phone (credit check) to a driving license. Look at the problems some people have had that are legally in the country trying to get a driving license.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AlanR
Certainly L1 spouses can't get a SSN but they can get a letter of refusal from the SS that can allow (application for) driving licenses and the like. Seems the answer to the original question is "Yes, get a SSN". It'll be needed or will oil the wheels in many areas from getting a cell phone (credit check) to a driving license. Look at the problems some people have had that are legally in the country trying to get a driving license.
Yep, wifey got a DL here in TX by signing an affidavit. Was just wondering if she can apply for SSN# when we start the GC app?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AlanR

Not true Alan you don't need a SS# to get a DL nor do you need a refusal letter - they just tell you that at the DMV my wife has a cell phone, DL etc with no SS# hence my original question -
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not true Alan you don't need a SS# to get a DL nor do you need a refusal letter - they just tell you that at the DMV my wife has a cell phone, DL etc with no SS# hence my original question -

Did they need a deposit for the cell phone? Is it a contract one or a PAYG?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paul_TX

My company applied for EAD for the 14 year old and the wife at the start of the GC process after we'd been here about 1 year - they only took about a month to arrive. The rules changed a few years back and you can apply for EAD as an L2 now on arrival I think, either way they have the EAD cards so assume its OK
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Did they need a deposit for the cell phone? Is it a contract one or a PAYG?

No deposit its contract (Family share plan) with Verizon (our land-line provider) we have three of em got them after 6 months
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:28 pm
Septicity

No deposit its contract (Family share plan) with Verizon (our land-line provider) we have three of em got them after 6 months
So you got it on your credit. If she had to go and get a contract on hers alone, she'd be stck with a deposit or PAYG.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Do you file US income taxes? The IRS requires an SSN for all dependents regardless of age or working status and if you don't have one, they ask why not.

No true Amy - we file taxes here and use TTN numbers for the wife and kids no problem
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:31 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

No true Amy - we file taxes here and use TTN numbers for the wife and kids no problem
I'd get the numbers anyway - you'll all need them at some point and once you have them, you don;t have to worry in case they are needed one day ! ......

There are still a lot of places that don't will only work with you if you give them your SSN. You can then all be another faceless number in the system like the rest of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.