Reload this Page >

Social Security problem

Social Security problem

Old Apr 17th 2004, 1:54 am
Just Joined

ihateemo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security problem

Hi,

I recently moved to the US on a K-1 visa and will be applying for AOS soon. In the meantime I applied for my Social Security card so I get a job and a drivers license - but disaster has struck!

According to the guy at the SS office, my details have not been added to the immigration database yet. They took a copy of my passport, my I-94 and my visa and faxed them to immigration but are waiting for a response (I've been waiting almost three weeks) but when I asked them how long it could take, I was told it might be another six weeks!

This isn't helping me at all. Has anyone else suffered at the hands of Social Security and did anyone find a way to speed things up?
Old Apr 17th 2004, 2:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security problem

Yes, that is standard for the SSA. If you are not in the SAVE system, some offices will wait for ten days and then try again to see if you name has been added. Apparently the SSA Office you used didn't wait and mailed out the verification request to the USCIS. You can try going back to that office again and have them once again check in the SAVE system for your details. If they are there, they can then process the card/number for you. If not, then you might be able to go to the local district USCIS office you will be using and ask them for a letter of clearance. I will tell you though it is rare for the USCIS to do that although one person did have luck with the Miami office.

The marriage-based visa forum normally advises people to wait a minimum of ten days before applying for their social security card after arrival on a K-1. The wait will give USCIS time to update your records.

Good luck

Rete

Originally posted by ihateemo
Hi,

I recently moved to the US on a K-1 visa and will be applying for AOS soon. In the meantime I applied for my Social Security card so I get a job and a drivers license - but disaster has struck!

According to the guy at the SS office, my details have not been added to the immigration database yet. They took a copy of my passport, my I-94 and my visa and faxed them to immigration but are waiting for a response (I've been waiting almost three weeks) but when I asked them how long it could take, I was told it might be another six weeks!

This isn't helping me at all. Has anyone else suffered at the hands of Social Security and did anyone find a way to speed things up?
Old Apr 17th 2004, 4:07 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Social Security problem

Originally posted by ihateemo
Hi,

get ur local ssa fax number. go to the local/nearest uscis office. they got the details on their comp. ask them to fax the ssa the info and then apply for the ssn. my details didnt get through even after 1 month.