Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security numbers for minors? Babysitting jobs?

Social Security numbers for minors? Babysitting jobs?

Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

stacrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security numbers for minors? Tax reasons & casual work

Hi all,

My husband wanted me to find out if we can get SS numbers for our kids as he can use them to write off money for tax purposes. I saw on another thread here about the ITIN numbers, but I also found this info that says that children of an L1 holder can apply for an SS number

http://www.ehow.com/how_6858120_do-s...-l2-visa_.html ). It says to fill in SS5

I've looked at form ss5: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf, and it does seem to allow for foreign born people to apply. Has anyone else done this for their children?

Complication - My L1A holder husband is not the natural father of my kids though. On the form it says Parent / Mother and Parent/Father. Would I be able to use his name and SS number as he is their parent in US? Their real father lives in another country (and gave permission for them to move with us).

My elder daughter is already talking about earning money through babysitting as some of her friends are starting to do. Would even this be shut off to her as she doesn't have a work permit? Or, if she did any babysitting (in a year or two), would they be that strict that we'd get into trouble?

Many thanks for advice

Last edited by stacrat; Feb 6th 2013 at 7:58 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:05 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security numbers for minors? Babysitting jobs?

When I was babysitting as a teenager, it was on an informal, ad hoc basis. Nobody I have ever known checks up on that, or on a kid using the family lawnmower to mow lawns in the summer, or a lemonade stand. Technically, yes, all income must be declared to the IRS (they made me say that), but nobody ever cares about teenagers who watch TV with the kids, feed them hot dogs and beans, and put them to bed while Mom and Dad go to the movies or whatever. The people she sits for won't, unless they are real pieces of work, attempt to claim that she is an independent contractor and must pay taxes. If you have any doubts, ask the parents before she sits.

Last edited by Speedwell; Feb 6th 2013 at 8:09 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security numbers for minors? Tax reasons & casual work

Good question, worthy of debate.
Originally Posted by stacrat
My elder daughter is already talking about earning money through babysitting as some of her friends are starting to do. Would even this be shut off to her as she doesn't have a work permit?
No. So cancel the dabate.
Or, if she did any babysitting (in a year or two), would they be that strict that we'd get into trouble?
Regards, JEff
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for both replies. That's good to know.

I would still like to know about whether the SS numbers are possible and if anyone has gone down that route rather than the ITIN's? And the 'parent' thing - i.e. can their stepfather be put on their form as a parent?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for both replies. That's good to know.

I would still like to know about whether the SS numbers are possible and if anyone has gone down that route rather than the ITIN's? And the 'parent' thing - i.e. can their stepfather be put on their form as a parent?

Thanks
My 11 yr old daughter obtained a SS# within a few days of arriving here...but that was in 1996...things may have changed since then.

Unless he has legally adopted them I can't see how he can be their parent...but that's just my take on it.

Edit: How old is the child who wants to babysit? I ask because a neighbour asked my then 13 yr old daughter to look after their kids. I said no...but it seems around here kids that age do babysit.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 6th 2013 at 9:02 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The simplest way to get a definitive answer might be to have her apply. It's simple and there's no fee. If denied it confirms that she qualifies for an ITIN.

Regards, JEff

I would still like to know about whether the SS numbers are possible and if anyone has gone down that route rather than the ITIN's?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:14 pm

What was her status?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My 11 yr old daughter obtained a SS# within a few days of arriving here...
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
What was her status?

Regards, JEff
Hubby was L1a...so L2 I suppose. We went to the SS office the day after landing...shortly after 3 SS cards arrived in the mail.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

My 11 yr old daughter obtained a SS# within a few days of arriving here...but that was in 1996...things may have changed since then.

Unless he has legally adopted them I can't see how he can be their parent...but that's just my take on it.

Edit: How old is the child who wants to babysit? I ask because a neighbour asked my then 13 yr old daughter to look after their kids. I said no...but it seems around here kids that age do babysit.
Hi, no he hasn't adopted them and that isn't an option, however I thought there was room to manoeuvre because they specifically had PARENT / MOTHER and PARENT / FATHER on the form. Why not just have MOTHER and FATHER?

As Jeffreyha says I might as well apply, so when I get my SSN (hopefully next week) I can print out 2 forms per child and fill in one with my OH and one with their father, and then just ask at the counter which one (if any) they'll accept.

(She's 12 so still a bit young in my opinion too but time flies quickly)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:37 pm

Applicable to the OP's situation, then. Very good .

Regards, JEff

Hubby was L1a...so L2 I suppose. We went to the SS office the day after landing...shortly after 3 SS cards arrived in the mail.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
When I was babysitting as a teenager, it was on an informal, ad hoc basis. Nobody I have ever known checks up on that, or on a kid using the family lawnmower to mow lawns in the summer, or a lemonade stand. Technically, yes, all income must be declared to the IRS (they made me say that), but nobody ever cares about teenagers who watch TV with the kids, feed them hot dogs and beans, and put them to bed while Mom and Dad go to the movies or whatever. The people she sits for won't, unless they are real pieces of work, attempt to claim that she is an independent contractor and must pay taxes. If you have any doubts, ask the parents before she sits.
You only have to file a tax return if your income is above a certain level. So kids can quite legally earn a good amount for babysitting, petsitting etc without necessarily having to declare any of it.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 6th 2013 at 10:07 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:21 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, no he hasn't adopted them and that isn't an option, however I thought there was room to manoeuvre because they specifically had PARENT / MOTHER and PARENT / FATHER on the form. Why not just have MOTHER and FATHER?
Because Heather has two mommies.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:30 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

As Jeffreyha says I might as well apply, so when I get my SSN (hopefully next week) I can print out 2 forms per child and fill in one with my OH and one with their father, and then just ask at the counter which one (if any) they'll accept.

Is note 10.B. of use here?

If you are applying for an original Social Security card for a child under age 18, you MUST show the parents' Social Security numbers unless the parent was never assigned a Social Security number. If the number is not known and you cannot obtain it, check the “unknown” box.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

lumsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to the u.s on a visa hubby on L1a and myself and children on L2.

You cannot get a ss number for your children on this visa, As adults we could but not the children, so we had to apply for a itin number for tax purposes.
As a heads up we got our green cards last month yeahhhh, however we went to the social security office to get the children numbers, as our eldest is 16 and wants to look for work.
They cannot issue ss numbers until you have had your green card for around 15 business days as it takes that long for them to be entered into the system.
Hope this helps
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

When I was little, I and all my friends read a series of books called The Babysitters Club which featured a, er, babysitters club formed by a group middle school girls in Connecticut and all the CRAZY babysitting adventures they had. Most of the girls were 13, a couple were 11. I always assumed that the idea of someone that young being allowed to babysit was totally unrealistic. Apparently I was wrong!

Jeez, I'm 28 and I wouldn't advise anyone to trust me with their kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.