Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Numbers

Social Security Numbers

Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all
Default Social Security Numbers

We used to own a property in Florida (mortgaged) and pay all the usual taxes on it etc, and for this I had an ITIN number. Then we moved to the USA with my husband's job and lived in the property and he applied for a social security number. 3 years ago we sold up and returned to the UK.
My quesiton is that we are now possibly going to move back to Florida.
What do we do regarding social security numbers ? Do we need to re-apply for one, or will our old ones be OK ? This leads onto the credit score too, since we obviously would have had some kind of credit history associated with these numbers.
Any advise welcome
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Numbers

Social security numbers are yours for life.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
Social security numbers are yours for life.
But an ITIN number ? Will I need to replace this with a Social Security number ? That was the number issues to us when we bought our house, so will there be some credit history associated with this ? We owned the house for 8 years in total, never a late mortgage payment.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a SSN then your meant to use that and not the ITIN jobby....

As for credit history, no idea....but you can get a free credit history online...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helens
But an ITIN number ? Will I need to replace this with a Social Security number ? That was the number issues to us when we bought our house, so will there be some credit history associated with this ? We owned the house for 8 years in total, never a late mortgage payment.
Confusion ..
who had the ITIN number
who has the social security number
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

andromakhe is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband immigrated to Florida with me recently. We had to change his ITIN to a Social Security Number so that he can begin to build up his credit. I've had to put everything in my name until he does so. The ITIN number will not give you a credit history here. If your husband has a Social Security Number, however, his should show a credit history for his time here. I had a few issues because I had no credit history for the past 5 years I'd been in England. The best thing to do is try and build your credit up as soon as your here. Also, you can look into companies (particularly mortgage companies and banks) that will be able to access your credit history in the UK. Hope that helps
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andromakhe
My husband immigrated to Florida with me recently. We had to change his ITIN to a Social Security Number so that he can begin to build up his credit. I've had to put everything in my name until he does so. The ITIN number will not give you a credit history here. If your husband has a Social Security Number, however, his should show a credit history for his time here. I had a few issues because I had no credit history for the past 5 years I'd been in England. The best thing to do is try and build your credit up as soon as your here. Also, you can look into companies (particularly mortgage companies and banks) that will be able to access your credit history in the UK. Hope that helps
Many Thanks for that, it helps enormously, the ITIN number was in my name but the L1 Visa will be in my name so I'll have to transfer this to a SSN. My husband will be on an L2 Visa and had the SSN so we'll only need to get him an EAD I think
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:42 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

Page 18

What steps do I have to take when I have an ITIN and become eligible for a Social Security Number?

Make proper application for a SSN and upon receipt advise the IRS ITIN Unit in writing of your new SSN. The new SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN.

You can contact the IRS ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

You may wish to review IRS publication 519, “U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens,” that can be found on the IRS Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/index.html

You can also call the IRS toll-free telephone number, 1-800-829-3676, to request IRS Publication 519, “U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.”

Last edited by mdyoung; Oct 9th 2007 at 3:44 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:55 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helens
Many Thanks for that, it helps enormously, the ITIN number was in my name but the L1 Visa will be in my name so I'll have to transfer this to a SSN. My husband will be on an L2 Visa and had the SSN so we'll only need to get him an EAD I think
An alien applying for a work-authorized original SSN must present evidence to establish his or her age, identity and employment authorization.

Proof of age is not required when applying for a replacement card.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

For an original work authorized SSN request, an alien applicant must present at least two documents to establish age, identity and current work authorization.

If the immigration document, i.e., I-94, I-688B, I-766, is used to establish work authorization and identity, the alien must provide another document to establish age.

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on othe SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired
foreign passport
-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card
-- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

Note: Document must be unexpired

You can find detailed information regarding evidence of identity for an SSN Card on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

The unexpired I-94 with current L-1 status establishes employment authorization for SSN purposes.

A spouse with L-2 status can provide an unexpired I-688B, I-766 or I-94 to establish lawful alien status and employment authorization for SSN purposes.

However, if an I-688B or I-766 is not submitted, the L-2 spouse applicant MUST also submit a marriage document as evidence that he/she is spouse of the L-1 alien to establish employment authorization for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

“The evidence of marital relationship between the applicant and the L-1 alien is a marriage document issued prior to admission to the United States as an L-2 non-immigrant.”

RM 00203.600 List of Documents Establishing Lawful Alien Status for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203600

Children with L-2 status are not eligible to be authorized to work in the United States.

SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document.

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 and over applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at a Social Security office.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Note: People who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, or Las Vegas, NV area must apply in person at one of the Social Security Card Centers.

Card Center Information:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=1412

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and required document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security for manual verification.

Since 01/06/2007 Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which in the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with copies of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) being verified to be sent at the request of the Department of Homeland Security along with the Form G-845 for manual verification.

SSA offices can also assist applicants by issuing a notice acknowledging the SSN application while documents are being verified.

RM 00202.307 Acknowledgement for Form SS-5:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202307

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.