Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Numbers

Social Security Numbers

Old Feb 16th 2001, 12:13 am
Phillipe Garcia

How do get a social security number when file the I-130? will they the INS give that me to
when I file papers or do I file for social security number other place after INS get
papers I give to them?

Old Feb 16th 2001, 1:01 am
Nalu

No, the INS has nothing to do with the SSN. You will have to apply directly to the SS
office, you can find the nearest to you here: http://www.ssa.gov

You can get the SSN if you have a work authorization issued by INS, they will ask for the
EAD and also for your passport (originals only). The process is very simple, and only
takes a few minutes. Although to get the actual card takes around 3 weeks (that's what I
was told yesterday). But they also told me I can call this number 1-800-772-1213 for
information

Here is a link to specific info on how to get a SSN.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...11-0069&130=09
55487602&14=&2715=&15=16&2716=0&57=faq&58=&2900=PL zry70wd6 Good luck Nalu

| How do get a social security number when file the I-130? will they
the INS
| give that me to when I file papers or do I file for social security
number
| other place after INS get papers I give to them?
|
|

Old Feb 16th 2001, 1:10 am
-=SilentBob=-

As soon as it's approved for process, you will receive a notice to go and obtain SSN from
the Social Security office.

SB

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:13:03 -0500, "Phillipe Garcia"

>How do get a social security number when file the I-130? will they the INS give that me
>to when I file papers or do I file for social security number other place after INS get
>papers I give to them?

Old Feb 16th 2001, 1:11 am
Rete

No you need to apply for the Employment Authorization Document/Card with the I-765 the
same time you file the I-130/I-485. The EAD will give you the right to go to the Social
Security office and apply for a social security card.

Rita

> How do get a social security number when file the I-130? will they the INS give that me
> to when I file papers or do I file for social security number other place after INS get
> papers I give to them?