Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number For Work Only?

Social Security Number For Work Only?

Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:03 pm
London 2 Las Vegas

PaulandMel is on a distinguished road
Default Social Security Number For Work Only?

I feel like a pain always asking questions, but we're new to all this.

Does anyone know about the stamp on the SSC "Valid For Work Only"...does that mean Paul cannot get credit? I'm trying to add him to some of my accounts and utiltiy bills, but couldn't before because he didn't have a SSN yet. He received his EAD last week and his SSC yesterday, and I wasn't sure if I can add him now. We only have one joint account in our names, and that's our bank because they didn't need a social. Our interview is next month so I would like to put him on some accounts.

Thanks!

Melanie
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number For Work Only?

Originally Posted by PaulandMel

Does anyone know about the stamp on the SSC "Valid For Work Only"...does that mean Paul cannot get credit? I'm trying to add him to some of my accounts and utiltiy bills, but couldn't before because he didn't have a SSN yet. He received his EAD last week and his SSC yesterday, and I wasn't sure if I can add him now. We only have one joint account in our names, and that's our bank because they didn't need a social. Our interview is next month so I would like to put him on some accounts.

Thanks!

Melanie
Hi Melanie,

For credit purposes, the SS card is with the legend is just as good as one without the legend. So he should be good to go for building credit!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Melanie

His SSN is fine for credit. But adding him to utility bills is unlikely to give his score a boost. You need to add him to credit accounts. Although not widely advertised by the issuers, some will provide a joint account. You usually need to call the friendly cust. serv. rep. at the 1-800 number to sort this. Adding him as just an "additional user" may or may not help depending on how the issuer posts this info to the bureaus, whereas adding him as a joint user definitely will.

Of course, adding him to the utilities could well help with calming the drones at USCIS...
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:07 pm
London 2 Las Vegas

Oh cool, thanks a lot you two! That is awesome! I was more worried about it for Immigration purposes. To show proof we're really a couple (couple of idiots...heh! Just a joke). This has nothing do with anything, but his Mum just got here yesterday and brought the best chocolate in the world....Cabury Flake's!!!!!! MMMMMMM... Used to love it when Paul would fly here and bring me those.

Mel
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:06 pm
Lagomorpheus

This is in response to your chocolate comment! My husband really missed
his Cadburys chocolates when he moved to the US. We've found them at
this great store called World Market:
http://www.worldmarket.com/home.jsp. Many times they have special
discounts on Cadbury stuff, so he stocks up Flakes and Crunchies
whenever we stop by the store. We have yet been able to locate Smarties
though!
    :-) Marie

Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:06 pm
Lagomorpheus

This is in response to your chocolate comment! My husband really missed
his Cadburys chocolates when he moved to the US. We've found them at
this great store called World Market:
http://www.worldmarket.com/home.jsp. Many times they have special
discounts on Cadbury stuff, so he stocks up Flakes and Crunchies
whenever we stop by the store. We have yet been able to locate Smarties
though!
    :-) Marie

Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:20 pm
London 2 Las Vegas

Hi Marie...

I never even knew this store existed. I have one about 15-20 minutes away. I called, but the Flakes are pretty high ($1.79), but I guess you get what you pay for. I bought some at this British market on the other side of town, but they weren't that good and they had some writing on them from like Pakistan or somewhere. Thanks for posting that link.

Melanie
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:36 am
Lagomorpheus

We both got a chuckle out of your note! There is nothing quite like
Cadbury's chocolates! The regular prices at World Market tend to be
high compared to American candy, but do watch for sales. Periodically,
the will mark their Cadbury's 50% off.

We also have a British store nearby and it is the same thing you
described. The candy all seems stale (probably because they price it
ridiculously high and no one wants to pay their prices). The Pakistan
comment about the candy reminded me of another good resource you should
check out - Indian grocery stores! We found one here that had a pretty
good selection of British things and at very reasonable prices.

Good luck on the candy search!
Marie

Old Mar 29th 2006, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Melanie
Isn't the full language on the SSC "valid for work only with USCIS authorization"?

To me that means Paul cannot work without an EAD, and implies nothing about his credit.

P.S. I love Cadbury's Fruit and Nut bar and the Mini Eggs for Easter. Since Hershey's took on the Cadbury's license in the US, many grocers and even drug stores around here now carry Cadbury products. The formulation might be slightly different but it tastes pretty close to me.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Isn't the full language on the SSC "valid for work only with USCIS authorization"?
Actually, I think it says "DHS" authorization.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:01 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

The SSN card having the legend, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS (INS for older cards) AUTHORIZATION,” only means the number holder cannot use the SSN card as a work authorization document. It otherwise does not affect the validity of the number or card.

If a bank or other company reports his SSN as being invalid one possible reason could be that the SSN was recently assign it may not appear on the current “High Group” list or the company/bank is using an outdated list.

You can find the current “High Group” issued listed on our Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/highgroup.txt

The “High Group” list shows the highest Group number that has been assign within each SSN Area.

Example:

1 2 3 - 4 5 - 6 7 8 9
Area Group Serial

If the SSN Group within the SSN area does not appear on the current list; he will need to wait until the next list is issued for the Group number to appear on the list.

If the SSN Group within the SSN Area does appear on the current list and there is an asterisk next to the Group number, i.e. 049 06*, then it is the first time that Group has appeared on the listed and the company/bank is most likely using an old list.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:01 pm
London 2 Las Vegas

[QUOTE=Noorah101]Actually, I think it says "DHS" authorization.

You're right! It does say "DHS"

Melanie
Old Mar 29th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Actually, I think it says "DHS" authorization.

Rene
Aha. My husband's SSC is so old, it says "INS" on it. I knew the new one must be different, just didn't know how. Thanks